Author Topic: Items of Power question  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Chris_Fougere

• Participant
    • View Profile
Items of Power question
« on: March 22, 2011, 08:31:18 PM »
Alrighty...we're new to this so bear with me:)

I have two PCs who are eyeing "Item of Power", one a Knight of the Winter Court gun based character and the other a True Believer Priest conflicted about his church vs. his sexual identity as a gay man.  Both players are looking for something in the 1 pt range to keep their Refresh at 2 (they'd like a slight amount of wiggle room when I Compel...unlike the WCV and the Wizard with their Refresh of 1).

For the Priest I'm looking at a Rosary that grants something similar to Inhuman Toughness or Recovery, but for Mental "damage".  I can give it either power and then the +1 Refresh for being an item of power, correct?

For the Knight, he wants a weapon.  Specifically a gun, but I'm really at a loss as to how to make one.  Is it a simple matter of "a normal gun is Weapon 2, yours is Weapon 4) and count that 2 point bonus as a -2 Refresh power (then offset by the +1 Item Bonus)?  How do I model the fact that the gun would be extra useful against Summer?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Items of Power question
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:34:57 PM »
To get the +2 damage all you need is a -1 power so say for example

-1 Freezing Bullets - Your gun does an additional +2 cold damage which satisfies the catch for summer fae.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Chris_Fougere

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 10:15:49 PM »
To get the +2 damage all you need is a -1 power so say for example

-1 Freezing Bullets - Your gun does an additional +2 cold damage which satisfies the catch for summer fae.

How does one get the -1 = +2 damage though?  I guess its modeled after Claws?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:18:46 PM »
How does one get the -1 = +2 damage though?  I guess its modeled after Claws?

or stunts you can get a +2 weapons rating in several stunts like lethal weapon and powers are stronger than stunts.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 10:43:52 PM »
Modifying the toughness powers to mental instead of physical should be easy enough.

For the gun you could modify something like inhuman strength/speed to... let's call it inhuman aim:

[-2]Inhuman Aim:
Trickshot
Whenever you try to shot shoot inanimate objects, you gain +2 to your guns roll. (similar to "improved lifting" from inhuman strength)

True aim
Difficulty factors due to a targets cover are reduced by 2 (similar to "almost to fast to see" on inhuman speed)

Bullseye
Attacks made with the gun inflict +2 damage, increasing the stress made by 2 on a successful hit. (similar to "hammer blows" on inhuman strength)

Winter's Chill
The bullets from your gun are made from the magic of the winter court, removing the need to reload at all and satisfying the catch of summer (because it still needed the summer catch thing, and a magical gun should not go empty, in my opinion. Either way, it is mostly cosmetic, since bulletcounting is not really encouraged anyway.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 09:38:51 AM by Haru »
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 03:02:50 AM »
The winter's chill power would be really cool to add to a swordsman character.

In fact, it just gave me an idea for one.  Hmmmm.....
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 04:09:48 AM »
The winter's chill power would be really cool to add to a swordsman character.

In fact, it just gave me an idea for one.  Hmmmm.....
Glad to be of service :)

Would be interested to see what you come up with there.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 04:39:49 AM »
-1 Infinite Bullets Works
Description: For some reason your gun never runs out of bullets people have tried to explain this by referencing pocket dimensions and small gun gods but to no avail, the secret remains a mystery. 
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 04:46:22 AM »
-1 Infinite Bullets Works
Description: For some reason your gun never runs out of bullets people have tried to explain this by referencing pocket dimensions and small gun gods but to no avail, the secret remains a mystery. 

-1 for /just/ infinite bullets.... meh

Bullet count is not a big deal in the DFRPG anyway, and really, if a character is taking any more than a few shots per fight... we're probably talking an all out war.

Maybe a character could take the power thematically, but I wouldn't.  If I were GMing I second letting a character add unlimited ammo to a bullet power.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 04:54:50 AM »
Perhaps a -1 for any type of bullet would be more useful, yes I am firing bullets forged from an alloy of inherited Holy silver (church candelstick) and iron with an explosive core. Though perhaps that power would be worth a -2.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 04:57:24 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 05:07:35 AM »
Perhaps a -1 for any type of bullet would be more useful, yes I am firing bullets forged from an alloy of inherited Holy silver (church candelstick) and iron with an explosive core. Though perhaps that power would be worth a -2.

Those bullets + unlimited ammo... probably a -2 refresh, yes.

That's a pretty cool power - powerful... but not too powerful. I like it.

Offline Chris_Fougere

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 01:59:57 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I never thought about equating a Stunt with an Item of Power (as in to get the +2 to damage).

I`m definitely going to use either a reskinned Inhuman Recovery or a reskinned Inhuman Toughness to simulate a magical rosary`s effects on the priest`s mental fortitude.  I think Recovery maybe to show that he has to hold it, pray, recite the rosary etc to use the powers.  I`ll leave it up to the player.

For the Winter Knight`s gun, I`m going to give it Weapon +2 (for a +5 Total, as he`s a sniper and uses rifles) along with the "winter`s chill" suggestion to both be unlimited ammo, untraceable to mundane means (ice bullets..yes we know its not possible, that`s what makes it magic) and satisfy the Summer Catch.  I may also have it apply to any other creatures they encounter who are susceptible to cold.  The player`s likely creative enough to ask about using the cold for Maneauvers as well so I`ll allow a "can use cold/frost/ice for Maneauvers" sort of thing as well.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 02:49:39 PM »
For the Winter Knight`s gun, I`m going to give it Weapon +2 (for a +5 Total, as he`s a sniper and uses rifles) along with the "winter`s chill" suggestion to both be unlimited ammo, untraceable to mundane means (ice bullets..yes we know its not possible, that`s what makes it magic) and satisfy the Summer Catch.  I may also have it apply to any other creatures they encounter who are susceptible to cold.  The player`s likely creative enough to ask about using the cold for Maneauvers as well so I`ll allow a "can use cold/frost/ice for Maneauvers" sort of thing as well.

Which essentially makes it a breath weapon. And now I feel stupid, I didn't think of that before  :-\