Author Topic: Quote button?  (Read 9734 times)

Offline ButMadNNW

• Conversationalist
  • Trilling the Wire in the Blood (& some psych.)
    • View Profile
    • The Ladies of the Shadow Gallery
Quote button?
« on: April 02, 2007, 07:07:52 PM »
Last few days, I'm noticing that when I hit "Quote" on a post where the person already quoted a previous post, my "Post Reply" window has the new text, but not the quoted portion.

Just wondering, is this a technical error or an intentional change? If it's the latter, I'd personally like it changed back; quoting, used properly, really helps the flow of conversation. I can understand it being annoying when someone quotes the entire 2-page post and just adds, "I agree," but in other cases, quoting is a good thing. :)
"I am but mad north-northwest..." ~ Hamlet
"Words will always retain their power." ~ V
"The bag is really devoid of cats!" ~ Harry
"As to errors of opinion, though I am not yet convinced of any, yet I nowhere pretend to infallibility." ~ Daniel Defoe

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Quote button?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 07:52:10 PM »
See, and I feel the opposite way.  You can alter a quote when you quote, so I found it is better to go to the original post when quoting quotes. 

It has also saved me a lot of deleting when I want to respond to the person's comment and not need the quote they cited.
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline King of De Nile

• Conversationalist
  • Are your feet wet? And can you see the pyramids?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 08:35:05 PM »
Last few days, I'm noticing that when I hit "Quote" on a post where the person already quoted a previous post, my "Post Reply" window has the new text, but not the quoted portion.

Just wondering, is this a technical error or an intentional change? If it's the latter, I'd personally like it changed back; quoting, used properly, really helps the flow of conversation. I can understand it being annoying when someone quotes the entire 2-page post and just adds, "I agree," but in other cases, quoting is a good thing. :)

I agree.

:D Sorry, couldn't resist. I noticed it as well, and the jury's still out for me on the change. On the one hand, it is nice to not have to trim out the older quotes, but sometimes I like those there. Has anyone tried quoting a post with imbedded quotes rather than direct quotes, or multiple quotes in one post? How is that being handled?
Our garden was debated territory between five local cats, and we'd heard that the best way to keep other cats out of the garden was to have one yourself. A moment's rational thought here will spot the slight flaw in this reasoning.      --Terry Pratchett

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 08:42:17 PM »
I prefer the old way of doing it. I can trim the excess on my own if I want to, but I like having the option of it being there. This is especially true if you are having a discussion on multiple points. and want to break up the quote to deal with each point separately.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline ButMadNNW

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 10:17:34 PM »
See, and I feel the opposite way.  You can alter a quote when you quote, so I found it is better to go to the original post when quoting quotes.

But when there's a back-and-forth, and the person before you quoted the post, then doesn't go into detail about what they're responding to, and you respond to them without a lot of detail, it's easy (for me, anyway) to lose track of what was originally being talked about. Besides, being able to quote and then not have to go into detail saves on repetition: "Remember when Blaze said....".

It has also saved me a lot of deleting when I want to respond to the person's comment and not need the quote they cited.

*shrugs* I don't mind deleting. But then, I also type in my own coding most of the time, rather than using the buttons. :) I must just like making more work for myself. LOL

I agree.

:P LOL!

On the one hand, it is nice to not have to trim out the older quotes, but sometimes I like those there.

*nods* Like I said, it helps in back-and-forth discussion, or when posts in a discussion build on previous comments. But it IS annoying when someone quotes the whole post, then responds vaguely without specifying to what they are responding. Trimming is helpful. :)

Has anyone tried quoting a post with imbedded quotes rather than direct quotes, or multiple quotes in one post? How is that being handled?

Last time I tried quoting a post where the respondant had broken up the post they'd quoted (as I'm doing here), my "Post reply" window still just had the new text, which was a tad confusing.

I prefer the old way of doing it. I can trim the excess on my own if I want to, but I like having the option of it being there. This is especially true if you are having a discussion on multiple points. and want to break up the quote to deal with each point separately.

Thanks. :) At least I know it's not just me.
"As to errors of opinion, though I am not yet convinced of any, yet I nowhere pretend to infallibility." ~ Daniel Defoe

Offline Blaze

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 12:34:56 AM »
You young whipper snappers who can write your own code!  8 D  If I wrote code it would be Aramaic I'm so out of date.  LOL

I'm not married to the new use of the Quote button.  I can delete with the best of them. 

I love being able to highlight and click, though... so don''t take that away!
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline ButMadNNW

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 12:43:39 AM »
You young whipper snappers who can write your own code!

Well, don't be too impressed - all I meant by "code" in that usage was that instead of using the buttons above the Post Reply box, I simply type in the [ b ] or [ quote ] or [ img ] tags. :D My other board uses the same tags (and has an annoying habit of putting whatever tag at the END of your post instead of where you intended it to be), so I'm used to doing so.

Offline Blaze

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 12:46:22 AM »
Yeah, I used to have to do the HTML for a web site I maintained, but I needed to keep a notebook to remember all that stuff.  And the Hex for the colors.

Fortran anyone?  LOL

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 03:41:33 AM »

It's an intentional change in order to keep the size of posts down.  People aren't bothering to trim the quotes; I'm not changing it back.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline ButMadNNW

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 03:14:23 PM »
It's an intentional change in order to keep the size of posts down.  People aren't bothering to trim the quotes; I'm not changing it back.

Thanks for the response, Iago. I suspected as much. I do understand. :) *sigh*