Author Topic: A couple of very general questions.  (Read 5911 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: A couple of very general questions.
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 06:24:12 PM »
Oh, I agree with all of that.  I just think given how little the White Council seems to put towards finding and training potential recruits (especially outside of North America and Europe) that the majority of "potential White Council wizards" never receive enough training to get to that power level.

Until the Red War. Then you see all sorts of new recruits that appeared to be going straight into Warden training. They aren't clear on where these recruits were coming from, but I get the impression that anyone they knew about that met certain minimal talent requirements were offered a deal to became White-Council-certified by completing Warden training.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 06:40:22 PM »
Political intent (keeping those deemed 'undesirable' out of the Council and away from power) collided with political reality (we need more Wizards, and fast).

And there's no mention of being able to remove a Wizard from the Council other than through trial and execution...which means the Council is getting a lot of new blood which really doesn't owe that much to the current regime.  Awkward...
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 06:45:40 PM »
the Council is getting a lot of new blood which really doesn't owe that much to the current regime.  Awkward...

Rather the opposite, in fact. A lot of this new blood may end up displaying a (no doubt legitimate) sense of entitlement owing to their military service, to having come in from the cold and saved the White Council's bacon. "Starship Troopers" will probably get quoted a lot.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 12:37:04 AM »
Jim might be taking a page from Glen Cook's Black Company.  In those books the wizard's ability is determined by a mixture of Talent and training.  Great Talent with no training leaves a frustrated wannabe, but all the training in the world won't be able to take you above the top level you can reach.

Spotting a young top Talent will bring a smile to the face of most Great Wizards...

Richard