Author Topic: Maneuver plus?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Seb Wiers

• Participant
    • View Profile
Maneuver plus?
« on: February 27, 2011, 05:31:07 PM »
It seems like extra shifts get "wasted" when performing a maneuver.  For example, if you roll a supurb result and only needed fair... well, you still only get an aspect worth +2.  Is there any way to "make use of" the extra shifts?  Or conversely, can you make an attack that also places an aspect on the target?  I suppose if you cause a consequence, that might do, but normally the target gets to decide the consequence, right?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Maneuver plus?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 05:54:16 PM »
Check out the optional 'spin' rules on YS214.  Also, remember some shifts need to go towards duration if you're trying for an aspect that will last more than one exchange. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Steppenwolf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 06:03:44 PM »
YS326 for attacks which can put Aspects on the target. You must use a special weapon (e.g. a Tazer) and you choose to don't stack the weapon value to the damage to put an Aspect on the target.

Besides the spin there's also the overflow (YS214), but it's only used in non-offensive actions

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 07:40:48 PM »
Also, remember some shifts need to go towards duration if you're trying for an aspect that will last more than one exchange. 

For spells. If you're maneuvering mundanely then you only need +1 to make it last the scene (or until someone counters it).

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 07:50:12 PM »
That's why I didn't specify a number of shifts needed.   ;) 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
It's not really wasted, since the extra shifts are what someone also has to beat to remove the aspect from themselves/you (I think).
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Eunomiac

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 08:37:15 PM »
^^ this was my understanding, too.  But that's not always going to work as enough incentive, and I agree with the OP:  I'd be LOATHE to let a fantastically lucky roll go to waste.

There's also recourse to the general uses for extra shifts: increase speed, precision/accuracy or quality of the action.  Say you were trying to trip someone to put a fragile [Prone] aspect on him.  With enough extra shifts (5-ish, but I'm still new to this so am erring in the direction of more shifts), I'd say screw the "non-combat only" rule for overflow actions, and let you make a sweep-kick that also puts that [Prone] aspect on his buddy.  Or, keeping it to the initial target, throw a [Why Are There Three Of You?!] aspect on him, too, as he bumps his head on the ground.  Or, get a free invoke-for-effect of the target's previously-revealed [Desk Jockey] aspect, declaring that a [Bum Knee] was what put him behind that desk.  Or, if you're as nutty as I am, give your more socially-inclined ally an Empathy assessment to catch the look of [The Love That Dare Not Speak Its Name] on his buddy's face as he watches your target hit the ground: Your trip reveals that badass gangster to be a closeted homosexual!  Oh, what fun!

Let funny/interesting be your guideposts.  If the result is that your minions are cleared out faster than you expected, well, there's always another van full o' minions just around the corner (or lean more heavily on compels for a few scenes, or ramp up the stats on the next baddie, etc.). 

All that being said, if your players are consistently getting these huge overflows on their rolls, then you probably need to compare their skills to the oppositions' to see where they aren't lining up: I quickly learned that throwing a bunch of brainless thugs at my Skavis with Great Intimidation and ranged Incite Emotion was about as effective as throwing them at a wood chipper.