Author Topic: Buying RPG books for entertainment  (Read 4168 times)

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Buying RPG books for entertainment
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 10:27:39 PM »
First let me say NEVER PAY FULL PRICE FOR BOOKS.  That is true for the rpg books as well.

If you want to spend 70ish dollars for a the perspective on the universe it might be worth it.

I would like to divert the thread a moment and say that this comment is a little offensive to me. I go to gaming store to game for the most part. Brick and mortar game stores need support. This attitude is the death to such stores.  :'( makes me sad. Sorry. Back to topic

These books are a great read whether or not you play games. The comments and info are great. Plus of it gets you into gaming all the better!!! If you want to start up a gaming group try looking at  gaming stores. If you don't have any in your area try comic book stores and such. See if you can post a notice saying your searching for a local group or such.
"The door is ajar"

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 12:55:50 AM »
Just so you know I bought my books and my friends books from a store named Wizards Ayslum in Tulsa, OK.  I am very pro-store but I am not willing pay full price when there are cheaper options.     
Posting from a cell phone excuss my typoes

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 01:25:52 AM »
There is an awesome book (and game and music) store in CO called Black and Read where I pick up most of my stuff. All of their new stuff is 10-20% off and they have all sorts of used stuff (like a whole bookshelf of old AD&D books as well as deadlands and a ton of other things that are out of print). I recommend them to everyone (case in point).

Offline Compass Rose

• Conversationalist
  • Bassist holding down the low end
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 01:26:50 AM »
amazon.com has copies available too, if you are willing to buy from them.
The Universe without Music is Madness

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 02:05:23 AM »
I think troll and toad is cheaper than amazon right now.  Also scifigenre is usually a good deal.
Posting from a cell phone excuss my typoes

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 12:14:37 AM »
Even if you never intend to play the game...the books provide some nice 'inside information' about the series.  If you're a big fan of the series, then the rpg books add a lot more depth and are a fun read in an of themselves.
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline Compass Rose

• Conversationalist
  • Bassist holding down the low end
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 11:40:12 PM »
Found BOTH books at Borders today! I had held off buying them until now because of cost - but today I saw exactly how big and how thick those books are, and decided the prices for them are well worth it!  But if you're like me and don't have a gaming store near you, and you have a Borders, check the gaming book section, and you may be pleasantly surprised...Whoot!
The Universe without Music is Madness

Offline newtinmpls

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 08:53:43 AM »
Well that is the reason I got them. I had no intentions of actually running a campaign, but it just got too interesting not to. Started out as "the other campaign" to allow our usual GM to take a break; at the time, the GM of the original "other campaign" wanted to take a break himself - and we've done a few sessions, still working out the kinks and figuring out the rules, but it's turning out to be more fun than I thought it would be.

Dian

Offline kturock

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • CoH tribute toon
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 01:52:32 AM »
someone online was selling them discouted.. possibly rpg.now . the sale might be over.
also, nobleknightgames always sells things with at least a 10% discount. they sell new and used items, with used items discounted more.
amazon.com sells the rpg books, with competing sellers with different prices.

the books are over-sized, the pages are heavier than most, and the over-all work is higher quality.

also for the truelly cheap out there, the books, all of the books, rpg's and audio books are on torrent sites. [if that's your thing you probally already know that].