Author Topic: Frankenstein Inspired Campaign  (Read 3717 times)

Offline Hadeshorn

• Participant
    • View Profile
Frankenstein Inspired Campaign
« on: February 16, 2011, 02:56:47 AM »
So, I've had this idea rolling around in my head all day about a Frankenstein inspired DF campaign and thought I'd post it for others to borrow and/or contribute/evaluate.

The base idea is this:

A modern geneticist on sabbatical finds the ruins of the University of Ingolstadt.  While there, he discovers the journal of the real Victor Frankenstein, who turns out to have been somewhat involved with Kemmler.  The journal inspires the scientist to try recreating the experiments (and is possibly even manipulating him somehow).  He also starts all sort of bizarre cross-breeding between various nasty things, ie. a white court vamp and a faerie, etc.  His ultimate goal is to create an incredibly power hybrid abomination (Ubermensch) to then transfer his soul into and live forever with all these awesome powers and abilities.

The campaign would start off on the low end of the power level as the characters begin slowly finding clues that eventually lead them to the confrontation with our wayward mad scientist.

Thoughts?

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Frankenstein Inspired Campaign
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 01:16:29 PM »
i would blurr some of the names a little so that my players do not recognize them at once.

i would name "my" frankenstein waldmann - i seem to recall to have read somewhere that there was a dr. waldmann (or a similar name) that was one of the inspirations for dr. frankenstein.

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 10:50:47 PM »
Sounds like a pretty cool idea. I always really enjoyed the feel of that world. Check out White-Wolf's Promethean book for an interesting, non-science approach to the Monster.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 12:14:29 AM »
Perhaps the scientist is being quietly guided and manipulated by his 'faithful' assistant, ala Helsing.

(I loved a few lines in that otherwise horrible movie; and the idea of Dr. Frankenstein being a hapless researcher on a grant was amusing.  "You have treated me as a father, Doctor...but he (Dracula) pays me.")
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline newtinmpls

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 06:24:34 AM »
Hybrid: Well, wouldn't "breeding" take too long? Maybe consider genetic manipulation and some sort of accelerator tank. This could actually start with the PC's being hired (through layers of intermediaries) to get a "bit" of various monsters/entities. Kind of a "look for spell components" thing that gets very dark....

Dian

Offline Hadeshorn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 05:57:43 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking some sort of test-tube accelerated breeding thing but same basic idea.

I also like the idea of their being a bigger player than the good Dr.

I've done a bit of thinking and I will be using some neato ideas for "relics" to use in some ritual magic, including bolts from the crematorium where Aleister Crowley was cremated and the skeleton of Robert Wadlow.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:12:51 AM »
Bah, why do people so often make scientists villains these days?  We need more good scientists, I say.

I'm grumpy about the anti-intellectualism in America.

Offline Vine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »
Bah, why do people so often make scientists villains these days?

It's about attention span and understanding.  Things we aren't familiar with are scary and uncomfortable so anything sufficently complicated makes people uncomfortable, which makes it a good subject to villianize!  The other part is most American stories are very action heavy, science is long, and often tedious and doesn't lend itself well to a good american story, so it can be in the hands of villians with all the boring stuff off-screen.

By the way, The Sorcerer's Apprentice had a geeky sciencey main character.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 07:07:20 PM »
It's about attention span and understanding.  Things we aren't familiar with are scary and uncomfortable so anything sufficently complicated makes people uncomfortable, which makes it a good subject to villianize!  The other part is most American stories are very action heavy, science is long, and often tedious and doesn't lend itself well to a good american story, so it can be in the hands of villians with all the boring stuff off-screen.

By the way, The Sorcerer's Apprentice had a geeky sciencey main character.

True that movie was both good and silly.  In an unrelated note, America needs more characters like the Doctor.

We had more science heroes in the 50s and such.  It was pretty popular during height of the Cold War.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 07:27:16 PM »
Science represents change.  Change is scary and uncomfortable.  Scientists are responsible for Change.  Therefore...
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline Hadeshorn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 06:20:29 AM »
Plus its a bit hard to modernize Frankenstein without the use of a science guy.  Otherwise, its just necromancy.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 06:51:55 AM »
The story Frankenstein taps into the fear of out of control science.  Remember that it is subtitled "The Modern Prometheus" - ranking the good doctor's work up there with the gift of fire.

Now if you want to see good, modern take on the fear of science and have half an hour free, check out http://www.rifters.com/blindsight/vampires.htm - it's from another author, but comes off as a "I'm presenting this to a scientific conference" type thing.  The author, Peter Watts, is a scientist as well as a writer and he nailed the realism in this one.

Richard

Offline newtinmpls

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 06:41:59 AM »
Hmmm... scientist as villian is pretty overdone. But still, if I was going to do it, I'd maybe have two of them; a company guy as the unexpected good guy and a rampant charismatic individualist as the genius maniac.

Offline Radijs

• Conversationalist
  • Fhtagn-Didley!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 11:31:37 AM »
Now why am I thinking CERN LHC + Outsiders?

Ïa Cthulhu Fhtagn science!
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

Offline Guldor

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 02:46:16 PM »
Don´t think that evil scientist are a typical american villains.... I´m some kind of scientist myself in reality, I´m from Germany and I still like the good old evil maniac. In my campaign there is a NPC doctor which works together with the inquisition of the roman church and who is abducting and testing supernatural individuals to learn more about their powers. Also it seems to me that science is a typical antagonistic topic in the dresdenverse, when you think about hexing and faeris etc. They are typcial non tech characters....