Author Topic: help statting up a character.  (Read 1112 times)

Offline faith

• Participant
    • View Profile
help statting up a character.
« on: February 12, 2011, 12:20:52 AM »
So my friends invited me to a dfrpg game with them, and I need to make a character.
so I'd like to make someone based off Guerro in human target. a nice bit of guilty pleasure t.v.
Trouble is im not exactly sure how to start it, any help on the forums?

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: help statting up a character.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:30:31 AM »
The DFRPG has four default levels as far as starting stats go.  Each has a different amount of skill points, a different amount of "refresh", and in some cases different levels of Max skills.

Do you know what level you'll be playing at? And do you have a concept?

If not, some of the basics are spending refresh for powers/stunts and the skill pyramid.  The way the skill pyramid works is that you must have at least as many skills below the line you are working at.
Levels are
Superb
Great
Good
Fair
Average

so you can't have more Superb skills than you have great than you have good than you have fair than you have average... okay, an example would help.

Common builds for the lowest power level are:
3 Good, 3 Fair, 5 Average (11 total skills)
ŠŠ 1 Great, 2 Good, 3 Fair, 4 Average (10 total skills)
ŠŠ 2 Great, 2 Good, 2 Fair, 2 Average (8 total skills)
ŠŠ
And for the highest power level the common builds are:
Š 5 Good, 6 Fair, 8 Average (19 total skills)
ŠŠ 3 Great, 3 Good, 3 Fair, 8 Average (17 total skills)
ŠŠ 1 Superb, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Fair, 5 Average. (15 total skills)
ŠŠ 2 Superb, 2 Great, 2 Good, 3 Fair, 5 Average (14 total skills)

Of course if you want more skills you have them at lower levels.

Beyond skills are Aspects.  Seven phrases that define your PC.  You pick 5 of these and other players will work with you to pick the last two.

Again, it would help to know the power level and concept.

Richard

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
Re: help statting up a character.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 05:14:06 PM »
(As was said above, what is the game's refresh level?)

You'd probably want a Pure Mortal- if you're playing a computer hacker, you don't want ANYTHING to do with mortal magic.  Magic is probable to hexing, which breaks most tech after WWII.  As a Pure Mortal, you get +2 refresh (points to spend on stunts/Supernatural abilities), so you can get a lot of stunts magic-users can't afford (All mortal stunts cost 1 refresh, by the way).

You'd want highst skill points in Burglary (applies to hacking) and Scholarship (languages, plus computer use).  If you want to make "the Eldo" an important part, Driving could be helpful if your GM likes chase scenes.  Fists would cover your martial arts, and Intimidation would fit nicely too.  In case you don't know, there's a skill pyramid (ie every +5 skill must have a +4/+3/+2/+1 skill beneath it).  Again, we can help you more specifically if you tell us the refresh level.