Author Topic: Holding Back the Hexing  (Read 3682 times)

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
Re: Holding Back the Hexing
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 07:00:50 PM »
It's canon that sponsored magic does not affect electronics.  Both the SK and the WK both can and do use modern electronics.
Actually, in the books, they point out that it's the fact that humans have free will and are conflicted that makes hexing happen. Faeries are unchanging and direct: their magic doesn't spill over at all. So, a human using sponsored magic still hexes stuff.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 07:26:26 PM »
The books don't present a unified mechanic. As bear pointed out the summer knight who must be mortal (being half fey doesn't count. He chose mortal so he could be the summer knight) and definitely has sponsored magic has used modern tech in the books.

Anyway I keep saying likely the best way to resist the hexing with one's own personal devices is to use water cooled devices (or devices designed with a current of water running around and/or throughout).

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 08:22:21 PM »
Er, forgive me... When has Fix used a computer or similar modern tech since he became summer knight? 

I don't doubt that he has, but I'd like a reminder of the circumstances.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 09:30:40 PM »
Er, forgive me... When has Fix used a computer or similar modern tech since he became summer knight? 

I don't doubt that he has, but I'd like a reminder of the circumstances.

Hmm, I thought Ruel's apartment had tech in it, but I reread the scene and it didn't.  Now I don't know where anyone with sponsored magic having technology is.  Anyone else remember?

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 11:04:31 PM »
A short story called "Last Call" had someone who was either from the nevernever or had sponsored magic (I'm not sure how she would be treated in game terms since I'm pretty sure she started out mortal).

I don't want to give spoilers so I'll leave it at:
When Harry learned that she paid for something with a credit card he knew that she wasn't using mortal magic (because another with the power to do what she did wouldn't be able to use something with a magnetic strip - at least not reliably).

Richard

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 11:36:17 PM »
(click to show/hide)
may have once been human, but by the time of the story, she wasn't human anymore. If I recall correctly, it says in-story that
(click to show/hide)
. That, plus her power, indicates to me that she is closer in makeup to a spirit or god than to a human.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 12:15:23 AM »
Re-reading things I'm tempted to say
(click to show/hide)

All which means that she's probably not using sponsored magic, which means that she's not a working example of this thread....

Hmmm... Sigrun Gard has sponsored magic and doesn't seem to have to worry about being around helicopters and other high tech stuff, but then again there's a debate over whether she is mortal, a scion, or something more closely linked to the gods. 
(click to show/hide)

Richard