Author Topic: Stunt boost to Weapon:X question  (Read 1110 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
Stunt boost to Weapon:X question
« on: February 13, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Alright, I have a question regarding a certain class of stunts.

The Killer Blow stunt goes as follows:
Killer Blow: Add 3 to the damage of a Fists attack on a successful hit, once per scene, for a fate point. This stacks with any other damage-increasing stunts for Fists.

Certain Catches can only be satisfied by attacking with a Weapon:3 or higher; anything below that is weakened/blocked by the Toughness powers. 

Normally, a Fists attack is a Weapon:0.  Certain stunts, such as Lethal Weapon,
Lethal Weapon: Your hands are lethal weapons. When using Fists to strike an unarmored opponent, you are considered to have Weapon:2. Against opponents with Armor:1, your Fists attacks are Weapon:1. There is no benefit against more heavily armored opponents.
allow for Fists to have Weapons ratings greater than 0.

Thus the question is: Do the Killer Blow and related stunts of "Spend A Fate Point to add extra damage" apply that damage to the shifts from the attack roll, or does it apply it to the Weapon:X rating, increasing it for that one attack?

(and, no offense, please don't suggest "Take Claws/Inhuman Strength/other supernatural powers"; this is a question on stunts, and whether a Pure Mortal with the right stunt selection can do with his bare hands or a shotgun something that you'd need a sledgehammer or artillery to do--satisfy the Catch of "Weapon:X or higher".)
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Stunt boost to Weapon:X question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:12:23 PM »
Technically, I think it only applies damage to shifts on the attack roll.  I don't see the problem with letting it act as increasing the weapon rating.  Lethal Weapon is a bit harder to manage, but I'd treat the toughness armor as armor against Lethal Weapon unless some other factor overwhelms that armor making it 0.

I don't think it is a big deal...humans using fists aren't in a good spot against things with toughness powers.  Letting a couple stunts grant increased weapon ratings isn't going to get rid of that massive disadvantage.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 07:12:35 PM »
The way I see it killer blow does not add to the weapon rating (lethal weapon of course does) by the way it is written, but I see no reason why you couldn't allow it to bypass said catches if you so desired.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 02:57:52 PM »
Excellent.  Thanks. 
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki