Author Topic: Catch In A Box  (Read 1491 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
Catch In A Box
« on: February 14, 2011, 05:25:49 AM »
Been playing around with something for Genre-Savvy villains:
Quote from: The Evil Overlord List
#5: The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.
Has anybody come up with a character whose rare Catch or Item of Power is kept in a lockbox? :D  On a related note, now that I've posted this, will anyone come up with such a character or IoP that allows for such a character concept? 

One idea for an IoP that I've been fiddling with is the old classic "The Stone Heart", a chunk of rock that replaces your own, rendering you immortal unless your natural heart is found and damaged/killed (basically an IoP granting Physical Immunity with a +0 Catch).  The natural heart could and should be kept in a secure location... like a lockbox.  :)  Strictly a theoretical exercise for my own amusement, at least at this stage.  ;)
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Catch In A Box
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 05:32:59 AM »
In away that could be a reverse Item of Power it only gives its benefits when it is away from you. Otherwise as a plus 0 catch it is fine, most plus 0 catches require things that are far away and well guarded your's is easier because it is not far away.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:19:01 AM »
Evil wizard from 4000 years ago.  They manage to catch and stop him, but they can't kill him because he has Physical Immunity (stone heart).  They seal him up, bound, in a cave, hoping to eventually track down his heart (he has powerful wards protecting it from divination).  50 years later, a supernatural war happens and this group of casters is killed.  Now, in the year 2010, this evil wizard finally breaks his way free of confinement!  Or maybe some curious heroes broke him loose by accident (dang kids).

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 07:41:01 AM »
Item of Power +1 Soul Seed

Description: Your soul the essence of your being is stored in a gem the size of a small egg, as the seed is the true source of your life it cannot be more than a square mile from your body at one time or the body will fall lifeless to the ground. The only way to finally kill you is to destroy the seed, separating you from your seed will leave you powerless until your seed absorbs enough energy to create you a new body (this can take days to weeks depending upon the natural magic energies of where your seed is stored), if you have the possession ability then you need not wait to for your seed to reform your body.  

-8 Physical Immunity +0 (Soul Seed)

Inspired by anime.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:46:57 AM by bitterpill »
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 07:48:47 AM »
hmm, my guy is now an evil Pharaoh whose item that stores his essence is a Canopic Jar.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 07:53:46 AM »

Description: Your soul the essence of your being is stored in a gem the size of a small egg, as the seed is the true source of your life it cannot be more than a square mile from your body at one time or the body will fall lifeless to the ground. The only way to finally kill you is to destroy the seed, separating you from your seed will leave you powerless until your seed absorbs enough energy to create you a new body (this can take days to weeks depending upon the natural magic energies of where your seed is stored), if you have the possession ability then you need not wait to for your seed to reform your body.  

Inspired by anime.

I would just call it a Phylactery, and let people choose their own container.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Warpmind

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 08:48:39 AM »

Inspired by anime.

...Augh, geometry abuse! A mile's distance, not a square mile! If that square mile area is an inch wide, how far does it stretch? :P

Otherwise, not a bad way to stat a phylactery...
...You know the character is special, when reloading his frying pan is the right thing to do in a battle on the high seas...