Author Topic: Sponcered Magic ideas.  (Read 20888 times)

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Sponcered Magic ideas.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 07:24:35 PM »
# Access to Rituals for the sponsor’s theme [1] # Access to Channeling for sponsor’s element [1]

My only concern with adding these two to the list is unless I'm mistaken all forms of sponsored magic have them. which throws of the math. i suppose if for some reason you didn't want this you might get a rebate of some kind.

@ Devonapple, no worries on editing, i am admittedly horrible at spelling and grammer.

[edit] It occurs to me that i did not explicitly mention the standard base cost of four with rebate if you have evocation or channeling. just to be completely safe i assumed it didn't need to be said.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 07:29:37 PM by Moriden »
Brian Blacknight

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
My only concern with adding these two to the list is unless I'm mistaken all forms of sponsored magic have them. which throws of the math. i suppose if for some reason you didn't want this you might get a rebate of some kind.

@ Devonapple, no worries on editing, i am admittedly horrible at spelling and grammer.

[edit] It occurs to me that i did not explicitly mention the standard base cost of four with rebate if you have evocation or channeling. just to be completely safe i assumed it didn't need to be said.

Alright, I edited it to bridge more effectively bridge the gap between your two methods. How does it look?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 09:23:19 PM »
Excellent polish, thank you for the effort. i fully endorse the version you currently have up.
Brian Blacknight

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 09:26:55 PM »
Am I missing something? Because it seems to me that that system has pretty much all Sponsored Magic at [-4] before counting bonus powers. And that can't be right.

PS: There should be a type of Sponsored Magic that allows you to make functioning technology with conjuration.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 09:34:56 PM »
Am I missing something? Because it seems to me that that system has pretty much all Sponsored Magic at [-4] before counting bonus powers. And that can't be right.

PS: There should be a type of Sponsored Magic that allows you to make functioning technology with conjuration.

That's how most of this is working. You spend [4] for the Standard Package (-1 to -2 if you have Evoc and/or Thaum already). And then the additional Bonus Powers add to the cost. I edited it again so it explicitly says you have to buy the standard Sponsored Magic package first.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 09:35:59 PM »
i can go through and show the breakdown for each of the sponsored magics in the book using that math if you'd like.
Brian Blacknight

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 09:38:30 PM »
Please, do. Because I still don't understand.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 09:42:51 PM »
i can go through and show the breakdown for each of the sponsored magics in the book using that math if you'd like.

I'd be happy to show those examples in the edited writeup.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 10:19:47 PM »
Seelie 4
*Reducing the effectiveness of a specific type of creatures toughness powers [1]
*Broad types or themes of thaumaturgy at evocation speeds [2]
*Access to Channeling for sponsor's element [1]

Unseelie 4
*Reducing the effectiveness of a specific type of creatures toughness powers [1]

Kemmlerian Necromancy 4
*Bonus of +1 (power or control) and complexity to more than one type of magic (i.e., hellfire applying to any damaging spell) [2]
*Specific types of thaumaturgy at evocation speeds [1]
*The ability to use a specific thaumaturgical school's complexity bonus on evocations that fit the theme [1]

Helffire 4
*Bonus of +1 (power or control) and complexity to more than one type of magic (i.e., hellfire applying to any damaging spell) [2]
*Access to Rituals for the sponsor's theme [1]

Soulfire 5
*Reducing the effectiveness of all creature’s toughness powers [2]
*The ability to serve as a common form of catch [1]
*Access to Channeling for sponsor's element
  • this is zero because it already gives you all forms of thaumaturgy at evocation speeds so a specific element for channeling is redundant.

Soulfires base cost of 5 shows that it has one more point then most.

Example place of power   3
*Intellectus [2]
*Bonus of +1 (power or control) and complexity to a specific type of thaumaturgy [1]
*Specific types of thaumaturgy at evocation speeds [1]

If the sponsor can only be accessed occasionally - either because it is a place of power or some other reason the GM agrees with - reduce the cost by one.

I'd be happy to show those examples in the edited writeup.
Be my guest. i do patterns and math, not presentation.
Brian Blacknight

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 10:28:08 PM »
Ah, I see the issue now. I was under the impression that the three basic abilities were part of all forms of Sponsored Magic. It seems that you disagree. Looks like I need to reread that section of the books, and see what's up.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 10:38:54 PM »
@Sanctaphrax  i was surprised myself. hellfire doesn't actually give anything at evocation speeds for example.
Brian Blacknight

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 10:51:04 PM »
Hmm... mind if I throw a request in here, both to test your system and to take a load off my brain?

From the Norse Pantheon: Hel, daughter of Loki, sister of Fenris and Jörmungandr, ruler of Hel, the afterlife of Norse who died of sickness and infirmity, and is described in some works as being half beautiful maiden and half dead.  I have an Emissary of hers that I've been working on (an infectious disease doctor who made a bargain to stave off death) and I've been debating on how to stat up her Sponsored Magic for him. 
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 10:55:13 PM »
Just a quick correction.  Hellfire  gives +1 power and complexity to any spell that is intended to inflict stress or conseqences.  It does not give control and the fluff text says "hellfire likes to inflict pain and harm, but isn't particularly concerned about being controlled".  
Posting from a cell phone excuss my typoes

Offline Kommisar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 10:59:48 PM »
I would also add that effects using/amped up by Hellfire are obvious as Hellfire by those in the know.  It's not a subtle source of power.  I'm not sure if I would go so far as to stat things like this up or just keep them in mind in the fluff.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 11:16:22 PM »
From the Norse Pantheon: Hel, daughter of Loki, sister of Fenris and Jörmungandr, ruler of Hel, the afterlife of Norse who died of sickness and infirmity, and is described in some works as being half beautiful maiden and half dead.  I have an Emissary of hers that I've been working on (an infectious disease doctor who made a bargain to stave off death) and I've been debating on how to stat up her Sponsored Magic for him.

*Specific types of thaumaturgy at evocation speeds [1] Disease, Necromancy that fits her theme's..
*The ability to serve as a common form of catch [1] Death comes to all.
*Access to Rituals for the sponsor's theme [1]
*Bonus of +1 (power or control) and complexity to a specific type of thaumaturgy [1]  Disease, Necromancy that fits her theme's

Is probably what id go with, though she makes for a very strange sponsor.
Brian Blacknight