Author Topic: Sponcered Magic ideas.  (Read 20891 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Sponcered Magic ideas.
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2012, 11:27:33 PM »
Per our original writeup, this was how Kemmlerian Necromancy was priced:

Kemmlerian Necromancy 4
*Bonus of +1 (power or control) and complexity to more than one type of magic (i.e., hellfire applying to any damaging spell) [2]
*Specific types of thaumaturgy at evocation speeds [1]
*The ability to use a specific thaumaturgical school's complexity bonus on evocations that fit the theme [1]

So perhaps, according to the new scheme, it would be:
Kemmlerian Necromancy [2]
[1] Evothaum, roughly as broad as Ritual: "necromantic (page 286) and psychomantic (page 286) spell effects".
[1] Refinement-equivalent effect: "automatic, additional specializations in necromancy: +1 to control, +1 to complexity, stacking on top of any existing specializations."
[1] Stunt-equivalent effect: "A Kemmlerite may choose to use his control bonus from necromancy instead of the control bonus he would normally use with evocation, so long as the casting incorporates some element of death."
[-1] Usage limitation: Seriously evil? We could instead provide a one-point rebate for requiring the possessor to acquire a certain portion of Kemmler's lore to be able to justify buying this ability. But I think this is where we can bring this accounting closer to the original 2-Refresh cost of the power.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:32:10 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Sponcered Magic ideas.
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2012, 02:47:05 AM »
I would call the third effect broadening a specialization, not a stunt-equivalent effect.

But it matters not at all, they cost the same.

A usage restriction would be reasonable, but I don't know if it would be true to the canon writeup.