Author Topic: Statting Light Yagami  (Read 1530 times)

Offline ZMiles

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Statting Light Yagami
« on: February 05, 2011, 07:17:47 PM »
As an experiment, I was thinking about how to stat characters from other series. Death Note came up, with its strong focus on True Names and also it's extremely intricate set of rules for using the titular magic notebooks.

(For those who haven't read the series: Light Yagami is a brilliant student who obtains the Death Note from a shinigami. By writing someone's true name in the Note and thinking of their face, that person will die. Light decides to use it to kill off major criminals, improve the world, and eventually become in charge of the world. When it becomes clear that someone is killing off criminals, the world's greatest detective, L, begins trying to find out who's doing it. Thus the series becomes a race between L to unmask Light and Light to find L's name and face. Other Death Note users, detectives, and Shinigami get involved, and it becomes a huge battle of wits. Wikipedia has a lot of info about it.)

I was thinking that Light would need to have super-high scholarship scores (number 1 student in Japan, and L's intellectual equal), high craftsmanship, and good social scores (rapport, presence, empathy). Probably also very high discipline and conviction too, given what he's doing.
The notebook would be an Item of Power. It can kill, obviously, and it also enthralls (it can take control of a subject's actions before death, within certain parameters), so that'd be Lawbreaker there. Light would probably also have a bunch of stunts redirecting various trappings to his Scholarship score.

Thoughts?

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Statting Light Yagami
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 08:17:05 PM »
I don't think using an item of power can normally violate the Laws of Magic anymore than killing with a Breath Weapon would.  However, given how the show goes, I think a "special feature" of the Notebook would be to inflict Lawbreaker on the user as if they were using the magic directly.  However, this is going to be a hideously powerful object since it can do 25-some shifts of damage at unlimited range and you only need to know the person's true name and face.  I think that's more than -10 refresh even including the discount, honestly....it is an item of god-like power.  So much so that it should really be only used as a plot device.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 10:59:07 PM »
The notebook's power is probably similar to the
(click to show/hide)
. But we have very little idea of how that works. Treating it as a plot-device level ritual is probably best if you want to be true to the original subject matter. It would impose Lawbreaker since it's actually magic.

Anyway, I can stat up Light sans notebook. He'll be a bit overpowered, though, since he tends to be incredibly good at everything.

Offline ZMiles

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:27:46 PM »
Yeah, the Note itself is definitely plot-device -- it's basically an unlimited Barabbas curse, subject to the 'real face and name' restrictions. Moreso, actually, since he can control his victims for a set period before they die.

Hmm, I'm very interested to see your statting of Light (sans notebook, so perhaps Light during the Yotsuba arc?)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 02:41:17 AM »
Well, here's Light. No particular time period. I'm not totally satisfied with him, but I can't tinker forever.

Light Yagami (In A Submarine)

High Concept: Kira
Other Aspects: Japan's #1 Student, I Will Reign Like A God Over The New World, Keep Your Tools Close And Your Enemies Closer, Xanatos Gambit, Twisted Morals, When All You Have Is A Death Note...
Skills:
Fantastic: Scholarship, Deceit
Superb: Empathy, Conviction
Great: Rapport, Discipline
Good: Fists, Presence, Athletics
Fair: Resources, Intimidation, Craftsmanship
Average: Investigation, Endurance, Contacts, Might, Alertness
Stunts:
Threat Of The Death Note (Deceit): Use Deceit instead of Intimidation when threatening to use the Death Note.
Master Manipulator (Deceit): May use Deceit instead of Contacts as long as he explains a scheme that will allow him to manipulate people into doing what he wants.
Moral Insight (Empathy): +2 for Empathy rolls related to morality.
Attention To Detail (Scholarship): May use Scholarship to notice small details as long as there's no present physical danger.
Iron Self-Control (Discipline): +2 to defend against anything that would make him betray his morals or set back his plans (same thing).
Very Attractive (Rapport): +2 to Rapport for seduction.
Xanatos Roulette (Scholarship): May use Scholarship for Declarations that tie into his incredibly-elaborate plans.
Societal Insight (Empathy): May use Empathy to make assessments and declarations about entire societies.
Mind Over Matter (Conviction): Use Conviction to determine the Physical stress track.
Amazing Tennis Player (Athletics): +2 to Athletics when using it to play tennis.
Master Of The Death Note (Scholarship): Use Scholarship instead of Lore for everything related to the Death Note.
Ordinary High School Student (Deceit): +2 to Deceit when pretending not to be Kira.
Theory Into Practice (Scholarship): May use Scholarship to construct small devices like a trapped drawer or a watch compartment.
Excellent Actor (Deceit): May use Deceit instead of Performance as long as he is doing something fundamentally dishonest.
Total Refresh Cost:
-12 (Pure Mortal)
Refresh Total:

Offline ZMiles

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 04:15:34 AM »
Very cool. Thanks!