Author Topic: WCV and Mindf... bending. Mindbending.  (Read 2773 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: WCV and Mindf... bending. Mindbending.
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 06:28:14 PM »
And if you're not conceding after taking an extreme consequence (and are likely, then, to be, in fact, refusing compels - possibly escalating compels - to concede), then...damn.  You got some big brass balls on you...
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »
I see this less as mindbending and more as breaking someone's spirit.  The way it was done (emotion control) matters less than the fact that it was done.

As in Laura's father molded her, groomed her, raped her, dominated her, and made her his servant.  When he could no long physically/magically dominate her (because of a curse) she slowly (over about 20 - 30 years) recovered.  When she realised that he couldn't hurt her as he once had she was able to turn the tables on him.

In game turns, call it her buying off the extreme consequence "Daddy's subservient tool".

In her father's case, he was an arrogant sexist egomaniac.  He was master of the game and no one could best him with his own powers.  For one of his tools to escape control, to rise up, and for a mere female to beat him - that was a huge emotional and physiological blow.

In game turns, he refused to concede and fought to the bitter end because he couldn't accept the possibility of defeat at the hands of a mere female.  Before he was taken out he took an extreme consequence of "dominated by his own slave" or "accepts that he was wrong" - something along those lines.

In short, extreme consequences are crippling.  Physical ones cripple you physically while mental or social one cripple you in less visible ways.

Richard

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 10:34:51 PM »
I doubt Lara would of stopped any short of destroying her father even if he had wanted to concede, Lara had one great oportunity to win and she used it concessions only happen when both sides want it.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 02:46:20 AM »
I agree with Richard's take on this.  Lord Wraith used Lasting (Potent) Incite Emotion to mentally take out each of his children (probably many times), choosing to inflict an extreme consequence and thereby changing one (or more) of their aspects to make them more obedient.  This is reasonable given that mental attacks "change who you are".  I imagine the results would be along the lines of "I exist to please Daddy" or "I would be nothing without Daddy's guidance" or "I'd rather die than disobey Lord Raith".

While this wouldn't be as all-consuming powerful a result as Domination would create, it has the advantage of leaving the victim fully capable of acting on their own initiative, but with a soft control in the form of needing to pay Fate to act counter to the being that he now has become.  Given that the victims are all (or nearly all) negative refresh 'monsters', they have a particularly hard time overcoming those aspects.  And given the nature of the aspect, even an attempt to 'heal' the aspect would be potential compel-material.

(click to show/hide)