Author Topic: Tagging own temporary aspects  (Read 4796 times)

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Tagging own temporary aspects
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 09:29:18 AM »
I would like to point out one thing that's stated in the section on navel-gazing maneuvers. They aren't necessarily unopposed. If someone notices that you are a wizard gathering your concentration they are going to try to stop you. Same if you are trying to do something delicate. People can try to do all sorts of things to stop you.

Also as has been stated the difficulty is the GM's call, and I wouldn't say that that kind of thing could always be easy. If you're looking for cover in an empty warehouse (technically a navel-gazing maneuver) it's going to be pretty hard. If you're trying to gather your concentration during a firefight that might be difficult too. Performing delicate operations in the cold is tough. Not all Navel-gazing maneuvers are a cinch.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post. Also, the GM can also look for ways mess that shit up with Compels to draw you out from cover or distract you.

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »
Ehh..  I think I sill like the idea of a base difficulty..  I think I'll be keeping it at 3+, maybe +2, and/or changing on a case by case basis, but I'm to be honest, not entirely sure yet...

Its just to me, when I think of it, I have to try to see a balance between the mechanics and the thematics..  Someone with a Discipline of Fair +1, honestly isn't going to have much of a chance to quite and still their mind.  They might have an easier time attempting to concentrate on the task at hand, true, but even that would have some form of difficulty.

I guess at the moment, I'm arguing more for a variable difficulty, that at very least, isn't Zero...  Because in all honesty, if its so easy to do, you might as well not even roll on it, its easy enough to do, that it probably wouldn't be able to provide an advantage to you anyway...
my 2 cents

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »
Ehh..  I think I sill like the idea of a base difficulty..  I think I'll be keeping it at 3+, maybe +2, and/or changing on a case by case basis, but I'm to be honest, not entirely sure yet...

Its just to me, when I think of it, I have to try to see a balance between the mechanics and the thematics..  Someone with a Discipline of Fair +1, honestly isn't going to have much of a chance to quite and still their mind.  They might have an easier time attempting to concentrate on the task at hand, true, but even that would have some form of difficulty.

I guess at the moment, I'm arguing more for a variable difficulty, that at very least, isn't Zero...  Because in all honesty, if its so easy to do, you might as well not even roll on it, its easy enough to do, that it probably wouldn't be able to provide an advantage to you anyway...

I think you may have a point here.

Not only that, it is more satisfying as a player to "make" a roll rather than just have it happen.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 02:53:02 PM »
I think that unopposed NGMs should have a fairly easy difficulty, if not zero then at most 1. Someone with Discipline of fair +1, not under any kind of pressure at all (hence unopposed), should have pretty good chance to quiet and still their mind.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 08:37:37 PM »
Unopposed meaning not opposed by a character, not meaning without a challenge. The game has rules for conflicts where the PC has difficulty even though no person is trying to stop them. So, if you're sitting in a quiet room, sure there's no problem. Still your mind. I would probably not require a roll. But if you're trying to place a maneuver in a tense situation, I think I'd be likely to start off higher than 1.

Offline siggelsworth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 07:32:59 PM »
If the GM's looking for a way to justify making an NGM more difficult than mediocre, there's always the option of complicating the roll with a modified skill.  Defusing a bomb and looking to place the NGM "Focused on the Blue Wire" to help your next Craftmanship? Have the roll modified by Discipline.  Attempting to "Center Yourself" in the heat of battle with Discipline?  Modify it with Conviction.

I have a lot of fun looking at my players' skills for opportunities to tell them to roll with a +/-1; it makes them feel like their full allotment of skills are at work.

Offline infusco

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 08:10:09 PM »
I feel you can tag any Aspect you create via a maneuver, declaration or assessment. This includes freshly created Aspects on yourself.