Author Topic: Forced Fastball Special  (Read 1392 times)

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
Forced Fastball Special
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:19:54 AM »
I'm GMing a game, and my players seem to want to be action heroes, and one of them has asked me several times if he could throw thugs at other thugs. Anyone have any idea how I should go about this? Or should I do it at all?

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Forced Fastball Special
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 11:59:03 AM »
I'm GMing a game, and my players seem to want to be action heroes, and one of them has asked me several times if he could throw thugs at other thugs. Anyone have any idea how I should go about this? Or should I do it at all?

Use an aspect.

Either that or treat it as your player (if successful) using the person thrown as a weapon 1 and the attack roll being fists.

The way I would run it is as a modified grapple.  I would not allow it unless the player has made an "off balance" aspect on the opponent first.  Then I would allow the player to throw the bad guy using that aspect to tag a +2.  Then I would have the player split the attack and the damage like with the "spray" rules.

That would both give a player the incentive to do this manuever/attack but not be too overpowered.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 12:06:44 PM »
Sounds about right.  They'd have to have enough strength to toss them too, that's a lift of 7 or 8 (for heavyset adults) to use them as a thrown weapon.  So you need at least Inhuman Strength.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 01:07:45 PM »
Assuming this is the sort of thing you want to encourage, you could do it as follows:

You want to make a spray attack with fists, attacking several guys that are in the same zone as you.  You can't usually make a spray attack with fists.  Do you have a stunt that lets you do this?  No? then make an aspect first that will let you tag it to make a spray attack.  Narrate you spray attack as picking up one guy and hitting several other guys with him.   As long as the mechanical results are the same, let the narration be as heroic as your table will stand.

Want to use a guy as a missile weapon to hit another guy in a different zone?  Well, that has an actual different game effect, that just a spray attack with fists, so should be more complicated. 
Are you strong enough to throw a guy as a missile weapon?  That requires a might total of 7 or 8 (YS p 321).,  Note that you could be using aspects to raise your might total here, if you don't have a very high base might.  But it's much easier if you have strength powers.

Do you have a good enough grip on the guy you are wanting to throw?
That sounds like a grapple to me (YS p 211), especially since you want to throw him a considerable distance.

Make a spray attack (YS p 326) (weapons is the skill normally used to govern thrown weapons, but the GM might let you use fists instead) that targets the guy you are throwing and some other guys.  Your non-thrown targets should all be in the same zone, unless you are stupidly strong.