Author Topic: Yes, A Free Tag Can Invoke For Effect  (Read 14180 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Yes, A Free Tag Can Invoke For Effect
« on: February 04, 2011, 03:53:07 PM »
I am wrong on the Internet! Official Word of Fred is that, yes, a "free tag" can be used to Invoke for Effect." My sincere apologies for being so stubbornly wrong on the threads in which this came up. Mea culpa.

Per Fred: "A tag is an invoke (tag just means free invoke); an invoke can be done as an invoke for effect; an invoke triggers a compel, which is run between the GM and the target."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 04:19:54 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline ScottMcG

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Yes, A Free Tag Can Invoke For Effect
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 04:57:06 PM »
So not only can you invoke for effect for free with a tag, but you can also compel for "free" and the GM acts in your stead from the fate point economics standpoint of a compel?

I am wrong on the Internet! Official Word of Fred is that, yes, a "free tag" can be used to Invoke for Effect." My sincere apologies for being so stubbornly wrong on the threads in which this came up. Mea culpa.

Per Fred: "A tag is an invoke (tag just means free invoke); an invoke can be done as an invoke for effect; an invoke triggers a compel, which is run between the GM and the target."

Offline My Dark Sunshine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 05:04:36 PM »
I very much approve of this.

Offline infusco

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 05:23:04 PM »
So not only can you invoke for effect for free with a tag, but you can also compel for "free" and the GM acts in your stead from the fate point economics standpoint of a compel?

An Invoke is not the same thing as a Compel. But it is a blurry line. I'm hoping for clarification.

LATER EDIT: Oh my bad ... I just reread the above statement. That'll teach me to post without sufficient caffeine :P
"A tag is an invoke (tag just means free invoke); an invoke can be done as an invoke for effect; an invoke triggers a compel, which is run between the GM and the target."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:57:49 PM by infusco »

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 05:25:24 PM »
Yay!  Can we archive this somewhere?

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 06:56:32 PM »
Hmm, that can make maneuvers crazy-powerful.

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 07:56:40 PM »
Only if the GM allows them to be so.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear this.

Offline AlexFallad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 08:35:05 PM »
Sooo

Andy and Bob vs. Charlie in a zone (Scene Aspect-Isolated Farm)

Andy uses Alertness to Declare "Wow, a Dried Up Well Covered By Rotting 2 By 4s is right over there!" X manuevers (Fists vs. whatever) to put Knocked Off-Balance on Charlie and Bob subsequently tags to invoke for effect...well, let's just say Charlie is going for a trip, and it ain't to the Bahamas...

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 09:37:53 PM »
Sooo

Andy and Bob vs. Charlie in a zone (Scene Aspect-Isolated Farm)

Andy uses Alertness to Declare "Wow, a Dried Up Well Covered By Rotting 2 By 4s is right over there!" X manuevers (Fists vs. whatever) to put Knocked Off-Balance on Charlie and Bob subsequently tags to invoke for effect...well, let's just say Charlie is going for a trip, and it ain't to the Bahamas...

I never liked Charlie anyway. Good riddance.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline ScottMcG

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 10:04:16 PM »
Could you provide the context in which Fred made that statement?  I'm a little unclear about what he means by "an invoke triggers a compel".

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 10:56:05 PM »
Could you provide the context in which Fred made that statement?  I'm a little unclear about what he means by "an invoke triggers a compel".

An Invoke for Effect can sometimes blur the line and act like a Compel (I Invoke for Effect my opponent's "Broken Leg" Aspect - he falls to the ground and gives up the fight). In this case, it becomes basically a Compel, to the detriment of the opponent, which is when Fate Points usually need to change hands.

So, if you are going to "free tag" that Aspect to Invoke for Effect, the GM basically pays the opponent the Fate Point on your behalf if it becomes more like a Compel.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 11:01:40 PM »
So if you used a might or fist manouvre to do a judo throw on an enemy and give them the temparary aspect 'thrown' or 'shaken' I could then invoke the aspect so that they have to waste the next turn picking themself up or centering themselves is that about right?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:27:51 PM by bitterpill »
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline ScottMcG

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 12:33:18 AM »
The thing I'm looking for clarification on is centered around how "trigger" is used in the sentence.  This makes it seem like the invoke-for-effect is not "acting like a compel", rather it's spawning a compel that is independent of the invoke-for-effect. I'm not sure of all the implications of one or the other, but if the invoke-for-effect is not simply acting as a compel, and the compel is strictly between the GM and the target, then it seems that the player is excluded from escalating the fate point bid beyond the first "freebie" as part of the tag.  So that's why I was asking for the context of the quotation from Fred.

An Invoke for Effect can sometimes blur the line and act like a Compel (I Invoke for Effect my opponent's "Broken Leg" Aspect - he falls to the ground and gives up the fight). In this case, it becomes basically a Compel, to the detriment of the opponent, which is when Fate Points usually need to change hands.

So, if you are going to "free tag" that Aspect to Invoke for Effect, the GM basically pays the opponent the Fate Point on your behalf if it becomes more like a Compel.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 12:43:05 AM »
I think in the example given if you invoked for effect the aspect broken leg you could make the enemy fall to the ground, but you couldn't stop the enemy getting right back up again.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 12:52:01 AM »
So that's why I was asking for the context of the quotation from Fred.

Fred was answering this question:

Assuming someone has a legitimate opportunity to "free tag" an Aspect they have discovered, is Invoke for Effect one of the available options? Or is that "free tag" only good for a +2 or a reroll?

If there are situations when Invoke for Effect is eligible for the "free tag," where can one draw the line between an Invoke for Effect and a Compel?

As I see it:
Scene Aspects: Invoke for Effect if it benefits you, Compel if it hinders an NPC
NPC Aspects: Invoke for Effect if it benefits you, Compel if it hinders an NPC
Personal Aspect: Invoke for Effect if it benefits you

To which he replied:

Short form: yes. :)

Longer: A tag is an invoke (tag just means free invoke); an invoke can be done as an invoke for effect; an invoke triggers a compel, which is run between the GM and the target.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 12:53:43 AM by devonapple »