Author Topic: NEED HELP- Rome Game  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
NEED HELP- Rome Game
« on: February 03, 2011, 10:21:26 PM »
Alright so I'm GMing my first game with 5 players I know IRL (not on this site).  They voted, and Rome won in a landslide.  This is quite a challenging city, given its history and religious aspects.  I'm not asking for locations or themes, but where do I begin with a game of this nature?  Political intrigue? True believers abound? Knights/Denarian cameos?  Former White Council complex?  Not sure where to even start.

*None of them have DFPRG experience, though they have heavy D&D experience (hence I'll have to point out the emphasis on story)
*Of the 5, one has read DF (and he knows it thoroughly).
*I have very little DFRPG experience, but a lot of D&D under my belt.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: NEED HELP- Rome Game
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 10:23:26 PM »
This isn't meant to sound pedantic, but: what kind of game do the players want? Edit: which may be hard if they are relatively inexperienced with DF and the game system. But that is the best way to generate stories is to see what sort of stories interest them. Maybe they want to translate the traditional D&D type of plot into DFRPG? If the answer is "they don't know," then maybe we can come up with some suggestions on the forum for you.

I am, unfortunately, speaking as one who had to actually build the City and determine the Faces myself, and only really got player input on the major Themes and Threats.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:26:07 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 11:08:31 PM »
Also, time period is important.  Remember that the White Council once set up shop in the basement of St. Peter's Basilica centuries ago.  Also, there's this to consider:
(click to show/hide)
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:14:27 PM »
Actual suggestions:
The Vatican: standing against the darkness, part of the problem, or absorbed in their own affairs?
"Da Vinci Code": something powerful and dangerous was hidden in Rome, for good reason, but rumors of its power have resurfaced, and the players need to beat the bad guys (Denarians?) to it.
Insurrection: a cadre of Black Court Vampires/Red Court Vampires/ Denarians are secretly working to weaken the Church's power base, right under the Vatican's nose.
It Belongs in a Museum: historical artifact stolen, and research indicates it had occult significance; what are the thieves planning to do with it, and can the players stop them in time and restore this priceless artifact to its proper place?
Overdue Library Book: the Venators are looking for a particularly foul book said to be buried in the Vatican's cavernous archives, but when they pull some strings to gain access, they find it has been stolen! The players are framed for the theft, and must work to clear their name as well as help the Venators recover this evil tome before the White Council gets a hold of it and publishes it.

Edit: Ninja Attack: what are ninja doing in Rome? The players must find out before they enact their mysterious plan.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
Also, there's this to consider:
(click to show/hide)

A ninja would be awesome in a 17th century Italian game about politics and intrigue. Plus, haven't you played the second assassin's creed? There were all sorts of ninjas in 17th century Italy. We all know video game=historical fact.  :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:35:27 PM by sinker »

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:39:30 PM »
I find that for places with a lot of history like European Cities it is best to include some flavour of the myths of the location in game, having different secret societies like the rozenkruetz and tying them to the supernatural might work as well.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 12:08:59 AM »
A ninja would be awesome in a 17th century Italian game about politics and intrigue.
Indeed.

A munchkin has fun at the cost of ruining the group's fun, that's awful. But wanting to play a character that shakes up the premise? Now that's awesome.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 12:11:34 AM »
Four words: Vatican witch hunter assassin.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 12:14:08 AM »
Wow lots of fast responses.  Most of my players enjoy a good plot, but all of them enjoy a good fight.  I was trying to figure out what to use for this City.  I might use an unnamed Denarian- once- later on when they're way stronger, but I need generic grunts.

(Oh, and 1 of my players is a ninja nut so he'll try that regardless of time period  ;D )

*Set in modern day (probably between White Night and Small Favor so there's Paranet and Michael is still a Knight- not major but in case I need a cameo.)
*Definitely going to use Vatican Political Intrigue- some fighting darkness (Ordo Malleus), most unaware, heavy internal affairs
*Gonna use True Believers, don't want to overdo though.
*White Council post of small wizard's contingent? Headed up by Rome's Warden
*(Abandoned original WC Complex)
*I'm definitely going to use Illuminati- who are the rozenkruetz?
*"Da Vinci"-style artifact (Item of Power) is a great idea.  Stolen by magic thieves?

Quote from: devonapple- cut some out mentioned above
Actual suggestions:
Insurrection: a cadre of Black Court Vampires/Red Court Vampires/ Denarians are secretly working to weaken the Church's power base, right under the Vatican's nose.
Overdue Library Book: the Venators are looking for a particularly foul book said to be buried in the Vatican's cavernous archives, but when they pull some strings to gain access, they find it has been stolen! The players are framed for the theft, and must work to clear their name as well as help the Venators recover this evil tome before the White Council gets a hold of it and publishes it.
I cut out half the quote already mentioned by others, but I like the
(click to show/hide)
part- adds to natural intrigue.

Four words: Vatican witch hunter assassin.
Father Kincaid?  I am so using this.

My biggest problem with be
*the right kind of generic enemy thugs
*not devoting the entire game to the Vatican/faith power

Thoughts on generic thugs and non-Vatican/faith ideas?

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 12:31:48 AM »
The rosenkreuz literally mean the rose cross, it is an order that is ocassionally linked to the Knights Templar. The rosenkreuz were said to have gained esoteric wisdom from the middle-east and are heavily linked to the world of the occult. It was said that founder of the order lived for 120 years and had prophetic dreams leaving behind all sorts of wills and testaments only to be read at certain points.  <Edit> Some argue the magical elements of this 'religion's' history were a myth I can neither prove nor deny I am one of those people.

With Rome as a setting, there is the Italian Mafia to provide generic thugs also if you want another non-faith power you could create a Millionaire who percieved himself as the 'Prince of Rome' and was actively seeking to gain absolute power over Rome.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:40:58 AM by bitterpill »
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 01:32:49 AM »
The rosenkreuz literally mean the rose cross, it is an order that is ocassionally linked to the Knights Templar. The rosenkreuz were said to have gained esoteric wisdom from the middle-east and are heavily linked to the world of the occult. It was said that founder of the order lived for 120 years and had prophetic dreams leaving behind all sorts of wills and testaments only to be read at certain points. The order is a myth or at least a legend but there still ocassionally used by fantasy and sifi novels.

Modern Rosicrucians might disagree with you. They're currently an organized religion of-sorts akin to the modern masons.

If you're going to use modern day Rome then there's a ton of non-Vatican stuff you can do. It is a modern city after all. A huge population center full of commerce and industry, much like any other major city.

Offline tordon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 04:36:55 AM »
We were going to have a Rome PBP, but it fizzled out.  We were also focusing on the return of the old gods from Rome and Greece, as well as the potential for lots of necromancy, given the long history. 

Offline Malivotti

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 03:50:29 PM »

With Rome as a setting, there is the Italian Mafia to provide generic thugs also if you want another non-faith power you could create a Millionaire who percieved himself as the 'Prince of Rome' and was actively seeking to gain absolute power over Rome.

The connections between the Mafia and the Church are scary to consider, just off the top of my head, the Vatican Bank scandal with Michele Sindona, Sindona was the point man for the Bank and was laundering the drug money for the Gambino Family through the Vatican Bank, when John Paul I learned of this he started an investigation, but the Pope died of natural causes 33 days into office, do you believe in coincidence? You should also check up Roberto Calvi, The Banco Ambrosiano, P2 Lodge (Masonic Lodge, Shadow Government)

Also the Vatican Bank has been involved money laundering of Nazi and pro Nazi loot from WWII, check out information on 'Independent State of Croatia' from WWII (pay note to 1/3 of the Serb population was to be forced to covert to Catholicism.)
Add to that the Vatican Archives and the Nazi habit of occult studies and looting you begin to wonder just what books does the Vatican have hidden away?

The Vatican Secret Archives have over 50 miles of shelves and is estimated to have in excess of 150,000 items with 35,000 items just in the catalogue!! Oh and there are several other Secret Archives one at least for each branch of the Roman Curia, what is in the Holy Inquisition Archive? The complete works of Kemmler maybe? A true copy the Malleus Maleficarum with information on how to discover and defeat Wizards powers and kill them perhaps...   

Also add Opus Dei to the mix...hehe. Something about guys and gals in holy vestment carrying duffel bags filled with body armour and assault weapons all taking and oath of silence just warms my heart when looking for plots. 

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 06:15:13 PM »
Plus you can see if the party has a large number of a certain type of character. Lots of fae could mean more time in the nevernever, dealing with the courts. What does Rome look like in the nevernever? If a lot of players choose wizards maybe have the game more magic oriented. If there is a lo of shape-shifters you could spend some time in the rolling country side.
"The door is ajar"

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 08:50:52 PM »
Lots of good ideas:

*Definitely using rosenkurtz somehow (akin to Illuminati perhaps)
*Vatican/Nazi involvement- interesting, my team would probably enjoy that.
*Mundane organizations- R.C.Church, Roman Curia, Italian Mafia, Zog's Cadre (Albania nationalists), Filiberto's Cadre (Italian Royalist Movement), Italian Govt., Rome's Municipal Govt, and some terrorist organization.  Anyone think of more?
*All of Malivotti's ideas- my team will appreciate religious cynicism and intrigue.  I just don't want to overstress Vatican.  I need more Rome-sans-Vatican ideas.

My guess is that about 2 of them will be spellcasters (the Dresden veteran and the perennial D&D mage), 1 were-wolf, 1 Pure Mortal, 1 ???.  So a diverse bunch- but that'll lend to a more open set of stories.