Author Topic: Autumn magic pfc  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Autumn magic pfc
« on: February 02, 2011, 05:15:37 PM »
I'm positive others have done this before, but i wanted to get peoples feedback on this interpretation of Autumn magic.

Wilderness (Autumn) Magic
Drawing on the power of the Autumn Court, you’re able to cast spells that fit its essential nature: Wildness, Hunting, Growth, Death [as transition or sacrifice], Earth, and Wisdom. These magics are under the sway and watch of Cernunos; making use of it will inevitably catch his notice.
Cost: 4 refresh for the package, not to mention some way to tap into Cernenos's power. Reduce this cost by 1 if you have Evocation or Thaumaturgy; reduce the cost by 2 if you have both.
Benefits: Standard sponsored magic benefits (page 288). Autumn magic comes with automatic, additional specializations in Biomancy: +1 to control, +1 to complexity, stacking on top of any existing specializations. In addition, Autumn magic may be used as an element for evocation, allowing evocation spell effects that are appropriate to the themes of Autumn magic. This includes the ability to produce effects along the lines of biomancy (page 284) with less of a requirement for biological expertise in the spell-caster — Cernenos already understands biology pretty well and will do the heavy lifting for the caster — but with an evocation spells methods and speed. Autumn evocations always include [unsure, suggestions welcomed] in some way: When channeling the power of the Autumn court you may choose to use your control bonus from Biomancy instead of the control bonus you would normally use with evocation, so long as the casting incorporates the Themes of Autumn Magic.

Note: Could be viewed as the inverse of kemlerian necromancy in that your tapping into the power of life itself instead of death.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:17:50 PM by Moriden »
Brian Blacknight

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
Re: Autumn magic pfc
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 05:59:40 PM »
Here's my take on the Autumn Spring Courts- feel free to incorporate.

(Sorry, don't remember who gave me the quote below)
I was thinking of using Autumn/Spring Courts as the subtle cousins to Winter/Summer. To contrast the Winter/Summer, they would encourage transitions between the seasons, have patriarchal leaders, and not be bound/sworn to attack their opposite (probably dislike them, but realize they are necessary). These subtle Courts are less renowned because they do not follow the extremes of their sister Courts, but could potentially be as nefarious when it comes to maintaining the cycle.

So, 3 partriachs (and 1 matriarch).  Sidhe Knights and are female, referred to as Dames (ie Spring Dame).  Their respective Swords are called Spring’s Gale and Autumn’s Tremor.  I also gave each Court a Bane- a foe only their Sidhe Knight could defeat (other fae of the court are powerless against it- for example, Krampas is the Bane of Winter.  Only the Winter Knight could defeat him- even the Queens have no power here).

[-4]Spring (AdSeelie Magic- satisfies the catch of Autumn and Winter)- wildness, growth, renewal, birth, warmth, peace, air
[-4]Summer (Seelie Magic- satisfies the catch against Autumn and Winter)- wildness, growth, renewal, birth, chaos, knowledge, abundance, fire
[-4]Autumn (AbSeelie Magic- satisfies the catch against Spring and Summer)- decay, slumber, death, entropy, hunting, harvest, cleansing, earth
[-4]Winter (UnSeelie Magic- satisfies the catch against Spring and Summer)- decay, slumber, death, entropy, law, ice

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 06:11:02 PM »
Some good ideas their, i personally am going for more of a
(click to show/hide)
approach in that cernunos the patriarch of autumn is trying to regain the power he once had. i think spring has more or less been completely sunsumed by summer in that all of the themes i can think of for it are covered by spring.

I originally developed this basic idea as sponsored magic from cernenos or an inverse of kemlerian magic, but had the idea thattieing it into the fae system might make it seem less like the charecter/s are "worshiping an old god"
Brian Blacknight

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:51:01 PM »
i personally am going for more of a
(click to show/hide)
approach

Oooo I like this idea. It's indirectly stated as one of the objectives in "Backup."  Partial success?  I think I'd still have both Courts on similar footing, but I'm definitely incorporating the part in the spoiler tags into my games.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 04:27:47 PM »
If you'd like to see the character i made whose very close to being the knight of the autumn court just let me know. hes an emissary of Cernunos in my campaign.
Brian Blacknight