Author Topic: WCV that fed off of glutony  (Read 3908 times)

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
WCV that fed off of glutony
« on: January 28, 2011, 04:15:11 PM »
I am basing my campaign out of Lancaster, PA. One of the locations we wrote up was for Hershey Park. We have it owned and operated by WCV that feed off of gluttony and over consumption. Little kids running around and eating till they get sick. Heck some adults too. Thought it could come up with some interesting situations. Any thoughts?
"The door is ajar"

Offline MacShidhe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: WCV that fed off of glutony
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 04:32:53 PM »
Sounds interesting, what's their catch?
Full Assed FTW!

DV MacShidhe v1.2 YR2 FR 0.75 BK++  RP++++ JB++ TH+ WG ?CL+ SW BC+ MC SH [Murphy++, Molly--, Elaine -]

NERO Plot Merc - "Have Mod, Will Travel"

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 04:46:10 PM »
True Charity, I'd say. I've never seen a Gluttony WCV though, mostly just Greed ones who turn out to be stock brokers and bankers.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Hoyled

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 05:10:38 PM »
The WCVs behind all you can eat food chains like Golden Corral. Or better yet make them predominatly Chinese, they own those little chinese buffets you see in every minimall and shopping center. The ones where you eat four plates of food and an hour later your starving agian.
"I'm Warlord Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka an I speak wiv da word of da gods. We iz gonna stomp do oonuverse flat an' kill anyfing that fights back. We iz gonna do this coz' we're Orks an' we was made ta fight an' win."

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 05:22:06 PM »
As catch i propose asceticism.

Offline riplikash

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 07:09:33 PM »
Personally I'm not a big fan of white court vampires who 'feed' on something that isn't easily externally inflicted like lust, pain, or despair, especially when they feed ambiently. Having to feed off ambient energy was one of Thomas's major hinderances

Rember, typically white court vampires need to feed directly off of a single victim, pushing them further and further into their emotions, draining them of their emotional energy, often till the point of death. I have difficulty seeing gluttony being fed off in this manner. While the other emotions are self perpetuating, gluttony is not. While they might sponsor an enviroment that promotes the kind of energy they like, it isn't their primary method of feeding.

If such a group existed I would not imagine them 'feeding' off kids eating too much candy, that would be too diluted. They would have to isolate individuals, and incite them to eat literally to death. That I could see, though it just isn't subtle enough for my tastes, like pain, lust, and despair are.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:11:21 PM »
Pain dosen't count its a sensation rather than an emotion. Gluttony proably dosen't count as well its a sin not an emotion but there are emotions linked to Gluttony (greed) so I presume you mean them. 
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 08:37:57 PM »
Pain dosen't count its a sensation rather than an emotion. Gluttony proably dosen't count as well its a sin not an emotion but there are emotions linked to Gluttony (greed) so I presume you mean them.  

The problem with greed, imho, is that like anger, it isn't likely to be very friendly to anyone nearby, which includes the vampire.  Makes feeding difficult.  Lust is friendly to those nearby.  Despair and overwhelming Fear are both rather self-destructive, so it is also easier to control the situation.  This is significant when you have to touch the victim to feed.

Looking at the 7 deadly sins for ideas, Sloth seems like an excellent option (the others are kind of crappy besides lust which has already been done).

Edit:  I suppose Anger WVC might go about inciting riots though.  Anger is easier to get people working together on.  I think a good litmus test for any new WCV emotion would be "can people work together expressing overwhelming amounts of that emotion."  Anger?  Check.  Lust?  Check.  Fear?  Check.  Despair?  Check.  Sloth?  Check.  Greed?  I don't think so, two people being overwhelmingly greedy are going to fight each other over stuff, and that inherent internal conflict makes it a difficult thing to incite and feed upon.  The same is true of many of the 7 deadly sins that can count, such as Pride, like others have said, gluttony doesn't feel right since it isn't really an emotion...and I think overwhelming hunger (if you changed it to that) is much like greed...unfriendly to others who might be competitors.  You could certainly have a WCV feed on such things, but I don't think it could get very organized...the odd aberration at most.  (Hunger is actually pretty disturbing to me...reminds me of that Supernatural Episode where they thought a Cupid had gone rogue).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:48:38 PM by Drachasor »

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 08:46:32 PM »
Greed is pretty much the same as lust I probably don't have to point it out unless you can malipulate extreme lust it is anything but friendly. Greed is as easy to a manipulate instead of having a really attractive body all greed Vampires would need to do is be carrying a plate of tasty looking food and even tastier looking Wine. 

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 08:50:34 PM »
Greed is pretty much the same as lust I probably don't have to point it out unless you can malipulate extreme lust it is anything but friendly. Greed is as easy to a manipulate instead of having a really attractive body all greed Vampires would need to do is be carrying a plate of tasty looking food and even tastier looking Wine. 

Group sex.  I don't see how extreme lust is something that is going to cause internal strife inherently.  Extreme greed, on the other hand, is different and leads to people fighting over Elmo dolls.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 10:00:40 PM »
Lust and greed are pretty much one in the same accept that lust is greed for sex and greed well is greed for everything, So NPC you can use sex powers on might be loyal servants but you can not have to of them because they would fight over you and some of them might have different ideas upon what sex is which may not be comensurate with what the user might want. if you attempt incite lust on a Grendelkin or a Troll bad things are bound to happen. ie Mantis Eat there mates. 

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 10:12:01 PM »
Or better yet make them predominatly Chinese, they own those little chinese buffets you see in every minimall and shopping center. The ones where you eat four plates of food and an hour later your starving agian.

Worst Jade Court Vampire idea ever. ;)

Joking aside, there are two threads to consider:

1) What is conceivable within the fictional guidelines laid down between the novels and the RPG?

2) What will make an entertaining mystery, adventure or character?

Some of the ideas presented are not as feasible from the strictest interpretation of the WCV's predatory preferences, but they can still be cool. If Toe-Moss can "sip" from clientele at a particular establishment then others could. They could even be temporarily trying it out because of some personal conflict of their own.

My thoughts:
At the most basic level, WCV can incite and then feed on an extreme emotion, killing their victims in a way that is very difficult to diagnose by modern medicine but which may not directly reflect the way they died.

When a victim has been drained during lust and found in flagrante delicto, one can maybe draw a line there. People who are "scared to death" by a fear-drinking WCV may have a rictus of fright on their face, which could be a clue. Both of these seemed to present as cardiac troubles or a brain hemorrhage.

But someone who was fed on while Gluttony was being drained may present with a stomach full of food, but they needn't have literally eaten themselves to death like the Gluttony victim from "Se7en" (
(click to show/hide)
). They may actually present like the Fear or Lust victim.

Gloom and depression muddy up the field a bit because usually the victims usually succumb to suicidal thoughts and kill themselves, but those are I think convenient distractions from the actual mechanism of feeding.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:14:36 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 11:31:28 PM »
Group sex.  I don't see how extreme lust is something that is going to cause internal strife inherently.  Extreme greed, on the other hand, is different and leads to people fighting over Elmo dolls.
Maybe the Great Depression was caused by Greed WCVs.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 11:35:58 PM »
Maybe the Great Depression was caused by Greed WCVs.

Maybe they tended to congregate in Wall Street. Would they be called House Gekko?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
Lust and greed are pretty much one in the same accept that lust is greed for sex and greed well is greed for everything, So NPC you can use sex powers on might be loyal servants but you can not have to of them because they would fight over you and some of them might have different ideas upon what sex is which may not be comensurate with what the user might want. if you attempt incite lust on a Grendelkin or a Troll bad things are bound to happen. ie Mantis Eat there mates. 

Going by the books the Lust that WCV can incite is so strong that any normal inhibitions you have go away and this seems to affect the WCV in a similar way (they get in a frenzy themselves).  As for "ideas upon what sex is"...people overwhelmed by WCV lust aren't having ideas about anything.  Any hangups or other sexual issues they have would go away, I'd think.  Well, there also seems to be an element of submission tossed in, going by the books.  Though losing a lot of self-control is probably one reason why they don't tend to feed on creatures with superhuman strength (and their own toughness and willingness would tend to protect them quite ably from humans).

Greed on the other hand is different.  The inhibitions there keep people from just TAKING stuff from other people.  Lust is about doing something with other people (or person!), greed is about getting stuff for yourself.  They are different on a fundamental level.