Author Topic: Attending Scott McCloud lecture/discussion tonight.. Questions for him?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Scott McCloud, a comics artist and advocate -Google Chrome, will be leading a talk and discussion on "Comics: An art form in transition"  I will be attending if you have questions you'd like answered. I'm hoping he will spend some quality time on graphic novels.  I saw Stan Lee in a similar discussion over 30 years ago. I hope this will be as fun and interesting.

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Apocrypha

• Conversationalist
  • As seen on tv
    • View Profile
Re: Attending Scott McCloud lecture/discussion tonight.. Questions for him?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:35:41 PM »
I saw Stan Lee in a similar discussion over 30 years ago. I hope this will be as fun and interesting.

Aren't you only 33?  ;)
I am not a narcissist. I humbly accept the fact that I'm extremely good looking, smart, and better than you.

City Of Heroes:  @Heathen Cross

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Attending Scott McCloud lecture/discussion tonight.. Questions for him?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 06:45:52 PM »
Aren't you only 33?  ;)

You're so sweet. Hell no. 57, but I find that shocks people, even in online writing classes. They couldn't believe I was a grandmother!  They actually thought I was in my 20s! :-0

The lecture was fantastic! I took a ton of notes. I haven't taken classes that explore the visual art as communication. Sure I've used images to create scenes and characters, written short stories from famous paintings and photographs etc, but Scott's take was an eye opener. I picked up his 'Making Comics" solely for accessing his visual art study on expressions, ie using the six basic international emotions and combining them to show other emotions.

The concept that these images are international and obviously hardwired genetically gave me a whole new world of how I can do better accessing those connections with the reader by using those images in written form.

Now I'm busy working on companion text descriptions of the expressions that evoke the emotions. Sort of building a lexicon of emotional descriptions for use as a data base in my writing.

An evening well spent. He's a really nice guy as well. He told me he's working on a graphic novel where the main character's name is Meg.  :-)  I told him that I couldn't wait to read it.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess