Author Topic: Sponsored Magic Question  (Read 1818 times)

Offline cgodfrey7

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Sponsored Magic Question
« on: January 26, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »
I notice in both Seelie and Unseelie Sponsored magic they mention wildness.  Can anyone provide some examples, mention pages in either RPG book, or point me to posts about this?  Thanks.

Offline My Dark Sunshine

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic Question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:20:20 PM »
Naturally this sort've flavouring for magic would occur more in rural environment. But I could see urban examples to.

"Mortal: Fae die!
 Faery: *motions with hands, pigeons from various roof-tops swarm the Mortal, pecking at her*"

Okay, a pretty lame example. But that is the sort've thing I see happening. Controlling animals/planets to attack or distract your targets. Run as a normal magic attack / manoeuvre, simply described with a different flavour. In rural environments the possibilities are far more interesting, swarms of bees/insects, tree branches moving & the like.

Basically use your imagination. If it is applicable to the general theme of 'wildness' and is cool, go for it.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »
It seems to me to be less about actual wildness, but more of a mindset. It isn't about tree people, it is about tearing down civilization, about the baser part of nature.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 07:25:35 PM »
The thorned vine spell that Aurora used to trap Harry, in Summer Knight.

Offline CzarGarrett

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 08:26:30 PM »
It seems to me to be less about actual wildness, but more of a mindset. It isn't about tree people, it is about tearing down civilization, about the baser part of nature.

I would agree with this sentiment.  Whereas Civilization is all about structure and rules, right angles and laws, the Fae Naturist idea would probably go more with ever changing wind patterns, wild currents in the sea, flames dancing about, etc.

Offline My Dark Sunshine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »
Like CzarGarret, I think MijRai's idea is a good one and is a better way of looking at it. Although I still think both are applicable.

Kind've ironic though, considering the Fae are a relatively structured & orderly Supernatural group when compared to some. In fact, it was Mab that created the Accords, the ultimate Supernatural Laws.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 12:07:35 AM »
In my game, the punch at the Homecoming dance for the local high school was spiked with Fae wine.  It became something of a bacchanal, and a lot more sexual than it should have been.  Also the entire football team (the St Xavier Wolves) became the Hounds in a ritual reenactment of the Wild Hunt.  They wore cartoony Big Bad Wolf masks, but howled in eerie and bestial unison.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 12:11:57 AM »
In the rp im playing we have a pixie who we use as a messenger called 'talk talk' as he was a summer fae the GM let him use sunlight, healing, verdant growth (vine tentacles) and fire magic as all these types of magic are in check with the nature of summer.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »
The Erlking's ability to invoke the predator/prey mindset for forcible recruitment into the wild hunt. That's what immediately comes to mind for me.

Offline Kommisar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 03:09:40 PM »
Remember, though, that for the Fae Courts and such that their hierarchy is not something imposed of even chosen by them.  It is their very nature.  They could break from that no more than water could choose to flow up hill or fire not to spread and burn dry wood.  It's the structure of the changing seasons.  They are all about natural law.  In fact, you could even argue that they are the nevernever reflection of nature.

Which is why they do not care for mortal civilization so much.  Our developed civilization is based around opposing the natural order of things.  We build dams to limit annual flooding.  We send firefighters to contain and stop forest fires.  We reroute rivers to suit our needs.  We mow our lawns. 

We even resist our natural urges.  We get married and settle down.  Repress our sexual urges.  We refrain from fighting (from time to time).  We put so much effort into avoiding or postponing death and decay. 

We impose our mortal will upon nature.

That is what they do not like.  That is what a Fae sponsor wants of one they offer power to.  They want that person to restore natural law.  Each faction of the Fae will have their own particular niche that they want to see advanced in the mortal world; but ultimately that is what they want.  So, to meet the requirements of your Fae Patron, know their relationship to nature and pursue actions that would promote that here in our mortal world.