Author Topic: Paging Dr. Hicks, Dr. Fred Hicks please  (Read 18413 times)

Offline blackheart

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Paging Dr. Hicks, Dr. Fred Hicks please
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2011, 01:45:55 PM »
OK as the guy who kinda started this whole can of worms I wanted to jump in real quick.

First and formost, I honestly did NOT mean any disrepect to Fred or his father with my post title. I was trying to be clever and lacked for charm and grace. I apologise.

Second, I really didn't want to turn this into a "Poke Fred with sharp sticks" inquiry. Fred as we should all know is an extreamly busy individual with both family and work, and I shouldn't have tried to monopolise his time.

My response is late coming due to my very sporadic intetnet access.

Thank-you.
"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2011, 03:45:02 PM »
What about using Fallout from your own spells to your benefit?

I recall in Proven Guilty
(click to show/hide)

How would one go about something like that, in-game? Would that have been considered "Fallout"?

That would be a bog standard maneuver.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2011, 05:13:56 PM »
OK as the guy who kinda started this whole can of worms I wanted to jump in real quick.

First and formost, I honestly did NOT mean any disrepect to Fred or his father with my post title. I was trying to be clever and lacked for charm and grace. I apologise.

Second, I really didn't want to turn this into a "Poke Fred with sharp sticks" inquiry. Fred as we should all know is an extreamly busy individual with both family and work, and I shouldn't have tried to monopolise his time.

My response is late coming due to my very sporadic intetnet access.

Thank-you.

Poke Fred with sharply-written add-ons. Making the guy who develops your RPG happy? Priceless. :)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2011, 10:05:40 PM »
What about using Fallout from your own spells to your benefit?

I recall in Proven Guilty
(click to show/hide)

How would one go about something like that, in-game? Would that have been considered "Fallout"?

That wasnt fallout, that was an intentional effect.

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2011, 10:06:22 PM »
Yeah, Harry totally set that building on fire and started a war with the RCV. Talk about losing control.

Was that accidental? From what I recall, it was basically on purpose.

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2011, 10:07:02 PM »
The building's on fire. And it was my fault.

Heh, true 'nuff. :)

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2011, 10:09:34 PM »
Was that accidental? From what I recall, it was basically on purpose.
Fuego!  Pyro Fuego!  Burn you greasy rat faced bastards, burn! 

Yeah, I'd say on purpose.
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2011, 10:14:22 PM »
Fuego!  Pyro Fuego!  Burn you greasy rat faced bastards, burn! 

Yeah, I'd say on purpose.

And, thus, not fallout! :)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2011, 04:10:09 AM »
What happened was Harry did a maneuver to place the aspect "water on the street" then tagged it for free when he cast the spell.

When it comes to spell casting it pays to have an imagination so you can tag aspects for your spells.

Richard

Offline blackheart

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2011, 02:40:54 PM »
On a somewhat lager scale would be the same effect on Lake Michigan boat pier in White Night.

I figure it would be an evocation with a zone effect, with Harry's "player" asking to establish a new aspect on the scene, with at least a Fate Point to take a fire evocation and establish the opposite effect.

Either way, as a GM I would reward the player for imagination by saying "yes", and also say "It's gonna cost a Fate Point" for pulling off something normally outside the bounds of Fire Magic.
"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2011, 07:50:21 PM »
I have to admit I enjoy reading this thread, but for the most part I have no clue what you're talking about.  Gaming is a whole 'nother language. :)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2011, 07:54:10 PM »
Lash, you realize that's an invitation for us to indoctr... educate you, right?
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2011, 08:01:06 PM »
It would take the whole conversation away from what you want it for.  It's like you're all engineers, discussing the latest machine you're building, and you're gonna step back and take time to teach me how to do basic math so I can eventually follow what you're doing.  I don't think it would work.  I'll just hang out and watch over your shoulders while you create.  (And probably interrupt with a stupid question from time to time ;)  )

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2011, 08:06:59 PM »
On a somewhat lager scale would be the same effect on Lake Michigan boat pier in White Night.

I figure it would be an evocation with a zone effect, with Harry's "player" asking to establish a new aspect on the scene, with at least a Fate Point to take a fire evocation and establish the opposite effect.

Either way, as a GM I would reward the player for imagination by saying "yes", and also say "It's gonna cost a Fate Point" for pulling off something normally outside the bounds of Fire Magic.

Fire explicitly says one of the more subtle aspects is moving heat.  Now, Harry might require a fate point to do that to resist a compel since he's Not So Subtle, but Molly wouldn't (assuming she knows fire magic).

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2011, 03:56:30 AM »
I have to admit I enjoy reading this thread, but for the most part I have no clue what you're talking about.  Gaming is a whole 'nother language. :)

That's kind of the neat thing about gaming. If you want it to be, it can be a confluence of a broad range of fields. Statistics, anthropology, acting, sociology, and more.

I think that's why people have created all sorts of models and terms with which to have a discourse on what goes on during a game. And this is all in addition to the specialized uses of terms in any particular role playing game.

You should see the conversations people have about abstract gaming theory stuff. Or maybe you shouldn't. Maybe it'd make you want to back away slowly, without making any sudden movements.

(: