Author Topic: What was your most "Harry" in-game moment?  (Read 4258 times)

Offline Smith

• Participant
    • View Profile
What was your most "Harry" in-game moment?
« on: January 19, 2011, 10:24:05 AM »
As gamers, we all tend to be a bit of a smart-ass. We like our quips and our one-liners (I challenge anyone here to be unable to quote a Bruce Campbell line). As such, this will no doubt bleed over into our gaming sessions, especially considering the source material and Harry Dresden's shining examples time and time again. With that said, I want to know what happened in your game that was a "Total Harry Moment." I'll start with mine...

Baltimore, MA - On the trail of suspected kidnappers, (Wizard/Warden-in-training) Justice Simmons and Casey Symaphore (Half-Gremlin Inventor) along with two "clued-in" cops from the Baltimore Police Service, realize they're being tailed. Casey, using a magically enhanced nail-gun (he's a Gremlin, they do that kinda thing), manages to stop the pursuing car dead in it's tracks. Everyone piles out of their respected vehicles and begins squaring off, as it turns out the pursuing car was full of four White Court Vampires.

During the ensuing firefight, Casey manages to pin one vamp to the hood of his car by using the nail gun. Justice manages to take out one of two vamps that were trying to open a fire hydrant to use as shield against his magic, by launching a heavy steel trashcan through the torrent and knocking him out cold (water prevented his lightning attacks, but physics still worked fine), this convinced the other vamp at the hydrant to make a run for it. The cops took the last vamp down with gunfire.

After agreeing to let the vamp nailed to the car hood go after receiving information, they send him on his way and he takes off without a second thought... leaving the still unconscious vamp lying in a puddle of water under a trashcan. Deciding to send the White Court Vampires (now confirmed as the kidnappers) a message about messing with his friends, Justice leaves the last vampire nailed to the wall (via his clothes, we're not monsters) of a rundown building with "Team Jacob, Bitches!" scrawled across the vamp and the wall.

We all had a pretty good laugh over this one... and it's more than likely to come back to bite me in the ass. As it should be.
So, what was your big "Harry" moment?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:31:22 AM by Smith »

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: What was your most "Harry" in-game moment?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 12:49:04 PM »
When taking on The Krampus in the final battle (the Grinch's top lieutenant) in my "Have Yourself A Very Harry Christmas", the players started doing smack talk in rhyme.

"You've fought with great skill all is not well, goodbye and goodnight, I'll see you in hell!"

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 11:07:47 PM »
When taking on The Krampus in the final battle (the Grinch's top lieutenant) in my "Have Yourself A Very Harry Christmas", the players started doing smack talk in rhyme.

"You've fought with great skill all is not well, goodbye and goodnight, I'll see you in hell!"

That sounds... awesome.  ;D

All my games have mostly died before I got around to our badass moments.  :-\
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 11:24:03 PM »
That sounds... awesome.  ;D

All my games have mostly died before I got around to our badass moments.  :-\

It was even better as the NPCs were doing it too.

"Your heart is strong, but your spirit is unwilling. Surrender now or I'll start with the killing."

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:17:19 AM »
One of the PC in my game playing as a Pyromancer scored legendary with his intimidate roll and caused a black court vampire to flee with the immortal line "run run or your be well dun'
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:42:45 AM »
My players tracked a RCV to a building down town.  While they were investigating the building 2 guards notice them, and in the conflict that insued the players went a little over top.  They the entire building on fire and ended up using lighting to send turn escaping vampires to dust.  It was my first look at wizard power, and all my players said was harry did it so we thought it was ok.
Posting from a cell phone excuss my typoes

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 11:21:36 PM »
Zeb, our group's Century Old Out-of-Retirement Warden is consistently described and envisioned as Grand Turino Clint Eastwood who still dresses like Sam Spade.

He also has an Aspect that took us months to finally Compel and Invoke in the single encounter.... And it was totally worth it.

After a Matrixish Sword Fight on top of a Semi going down a crappy highway between our Fallen Angel Bartender and the Dog Heavy Hexenwulf Ghetto Samurai Bad Guy, the Bad Guy heads towards the Evil Artifact of DoomTM....inside Zeb's House. Zeb is waiting for him behind his house's threshold....after a near vomit-inducing flight on a Flying Hockey Stick. 

The Hexenwulf hits the Threshold like a Brick Wall and Zeb casts the Spell, invoking his Aspect with it's name....

"Get off My Lawn!" And knocks him into the abandoned Haunted House next door.

The same House later used to subdue a Lady of the Spring Court(Modelled after Oz).......
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Smith

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 11:25:37 PM »
"Get off My Lawn!"

Brilliant!

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 01:02:40 AM »
The other really good moment we had proved beyond any counter arguments that Character Creation is play. Our next campaign has 2 new characters, My Cop and a fellow player's Repentant Warden. During our character creation meeting, we started riffing(an extension of online discussions) and talk about our characters and how their stories intersect.

The 18 year old Repentant Warden has Mispent Youth and has been arrested by my character alot as a juvenile offender. Then we defined the Warden's First Adventure, where my Cop got to play Murphy in Storm Front because the Warden's Trouble is that he's The Usual Suspect. Big fight with a Denarian. The rivals save each other's lives. And then we decide that after saving each other, we Soulgazed....

My Cop has a Non-Trouble Aspect called, My Family is My Rock. The conceit being that my Cop's Family is the most stable thing in his life. The other conceit being that Sisyphus had a Rock too. My Character has 3 kids, including a 17 year old Daughter, which the 18 year old Warden who is a Free Spirit also saw.

The exchange after the Soulgaze went like this:

Jack(the kid): Roy, I didn't know you had kids..."

Roy(Without missing a beat): "Stay away from my daughter..."

We had also decided that regardless, the Daughter has a crush on the Warden....

And the campaign hasn't even started yet....
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Smith

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 09:08:24 AM »
Warden's Trouble is that he's The Usual Suspect.

My Warden-in-Training has a similar aspect... His is Unusual Suspect. It basically equates to him getting arrested at the scene of whatever weirdness is going down, it also means that the clued in cops come to him for answers (or with accusations) whenever he's not found at the scene.

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 02:15:29 AM »
Zeb, our group's Century Old Out-of-Retirement Warden is consistently described and envisioned as Grand Turino Clint Eastwood who still dresses like Sam Spade.

He also has an Aspect that took us months to finally Compel and Invoke in the single encounter.... And it was totally worth it.

After a Matrixish Sword Fight on top of a Semi going down a crappy highway between our Fallen Angel Bartender and the Dog Heavy Hexenwulf Ghetto Samurai Bad Guy, the Bad Guy heads towards the Evil Artifact of DoomTM....inside Zeb's House. Zeb is waiting for him behind his house's threshold....after a near vomit-inducing flight on a Flying Hockey Stick. 

The Hexenwulf hits the Threshold like a Brick Wall and Zeb casts the Spell, invoking his Aspect with it's name....

"Get off My Lawn!" And knocks him into the abandoned Haunted House next door.

The same House later used to subdue a Lady of the Spring Court(Modelled after Oz).......

WTF kind of game is this? Fallen Angel Bartender, Dog Heavy Hexenwulf Ghetto Samurai Bad Guy, a retired warden with a serious threshold living next to a haunted house?

Man, that sounds... psychedelic, haha!

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 02:18:28 AM »
I remember that the first edition of GURPS (and maybe later editions) had a flaw called Weirdness Magnet. It was defined as "the only talking dog in the universe comes to you for a cup of tea and advice on his troubled love life" or something like that.

I'd LOVE to play a character with that as an aspect. :)

EDIT: ah, I found a link with the quote from GURPS and some further commentary on Weirdness Magnet here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WeirdnessMagnet

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:21:22 AM by Morfedel »

Offline Vars

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 08:26:52 AM »
Well, I have to say I haven't finished the books yet but we have just finished our first major story arc for our game. I am playing the "White Council Company Man" wizard and our GM let us link to just about anyone we wanted. I chose Simon Petrovich as my mentor since he has no direct part in the books and labeled myself a vampire expert wizard....so naturally our first baddy was a vamp. Black Court Master Vampire Sniper to be precise. At one point he and I met on accorded nuetral ground and had a conversation as to why I was after him. He said he was out of my league and I told him that if he liked he could think of this as my doctorate for wizard training, his comeback was "That's a hell of a thesis." This really bugged me and after we had finally come to the final battle I managed to take him out with some well done evocations and the help of my friends. After I ashed him I finally came back with "How's that for a passing grade *bleep*". It was very satisfying!  :)

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 04:28:02 PM »
WTF kind of game is this? Fallen Angel Bartender, Dog Heavy Hexenwulf Ghetto Samurai Bad Guy, a retired warden with a serious threshold living next to a haunted house?

Man, that sounds... psychedelic, haha!

The Bartender character Sal was an Archangel cast out of Heaven and trying like hell to redeem himself.

Dog Heavy = 3rd Bad guy from the Top.  He was a street punk recruited for a dark ritual...who was also a Hexenwolf.

The Warden Character had eaten a Death Curse at Kemmler's Last Stand and spent the past half-century getting his Magic back.

The Retired Warden's First Adventure involved his neighbor(Across the street) who just discovers his power tried to summon the spirit of Kurt Cobain into his Guitar and ends up getting Possessed.

I didn't think of the campaign as Psychedelic, I thought of it just as another day in Supernatural Seattle. ;D

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 08:51:39 PM »
I'm currently running a high school game that I billed as Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Call of Cthulu.  So we haven't had so many Harry moments, but we've had a lot of moments worthy of Joss Whedon's Buffy and the Scooby Gang.