Author Topic: 4th Nail/Sword of the Cross ideas suggestions?  (Read 9482 times)

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
Re: 4th Nail/Sword of the Cross ideas suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 10:01:35 PM »
I like the idea of a piece of the True Cross as well, though my thought was a staff carved from it.  You'd have a LOT of wizards sorcorers and others fighting over that.
I had the same idea. That or the crown of thorns jesus was made to wear. Maybe the crown got made into a bracelet that someone can wear to gain an affect like Nicodemus's noose, but it causes pain and digs into the user's skin. Instead of dooming one person to die, the person can select one person to be ressurected back to full life.
As for the True Cross, I was thinking a staff as well, or maybe even a small token that would give faith magic.

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 10:27:56 PM »
Gratiacchius, the sword of Grace (as in repentance/forgiveness).  To my mind, that suits the Swords best. 

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2011, 11:41:19 PM »
The Church came up with the doctrine 'miraculous multiplication' to explain the tremendous amount of fragments of the True Cross that were being sold during the Middle Ages.  (According to some accounts, there were enough pieces of the 'True Cross' to re-build Noah's Ark.)

The gypsy legend of the fourth nail states that because a gypsy spared the Saviour pain and suffering, the gypsies would be forever forgiven the sins of lying and theft.  Not sure how you could work that in, but a Sword that allowed the wielder to commit sins freely would be interesting.
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 12:13:24 AM »
I dunno, to me Grace means forgiveness for past wrongs, not carte Blanche to do whatever you want. "Go forth and sin no more," and all that.

Offline Sh33p

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 01:13:11 AM »
The Church came up with the doctrine 'miraculous multiplication' to explain the tremendous amount of fragments of the True Cross that were being sold during the Middle Ages.  (According to some accounts, there were enough pieces of the 'True Cross' to re-build Noah's Ark.)

The gypsy legend of the fourth nail states that because a gypsy spared the Saviour pain and suffering, the gypsies would be forever forgiven the sins of lying and theft.  Not sure how you could work that in, but a Sword that allowed the wielder to commit sins freely would be interesting.
Heaven's Blacksword?

Now there's a scary thought.

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 01:16:52 AM »
I had the same idea. That or the crown of thorns jesus was made to wear. Maybe the crown got made into a bracelet that someone can wear to gain an affect like Nicodemus's noose, but it causes pain and digs into the user's skin. Instead of dooming one person to die, the person can select one person to be ressurected back to full life.
As for the True Cross, I was thinking a staff as well, or maybe even a small token that would give faith magic.

I made a character who was a pixie who wielded a spear made from one of the thrones from the crown which among other things gave him free will.  Still haven't had a chance to play him though.

Offline Ranma1558

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 05:38:55 AM »
Though it moves a bit away from your original concept some, Roman virtues that show up in Christianity as well that might make good sword names.
Pietas: Piety; duty to God, family, and people.
Providentia: Providence, forethought; surviving trials to manifest a greater destiny
Laetita; joy, celebration usually after hardship
Gravitas; gravity, sense of responsibility
Firmitas; Tenacity, strength of mind
Clementia; mercy, gentleness

It seems "cchius" means sword in this context (I am not very good with latin, damn correspondence course....) so add it to the end of one of these for sword names, Gravitacchuis or something like that.

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 05:42:59 AM »
Very strong list Ranma, thank you!

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 06:54:39 PM »
"Gravitacchuis" - whoah, that's heavy man...
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
While those are all, to some extent, considered virtues by Christianity, they aren't really defining virtues like Faith, Hope, and Love.  Something big enough to have a Sword should be one of the primary virtues of the religion, IMO.  That's why I suggested Grace, which is at the center of the Christian conceptual worldview.       

Offline Ranma1558

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 07:51:45 PM »
I have to disagree, Pietas, duty, strikes me as a big one, much in the same way hope and love are, duty, piety is a defining characteristics of a religion. To quote weird Al "I'm the pious guy the little Amlettes wanna be like"

Offline My Dark Sunshine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »
The 'Divine Quality Of' Mercy is certainly a 'defining virtue' (a rather subjective term) of Christianity. In fact, it is a large theme throughout their religion. Any of qualities suggested could work. As it isn't exactly cannon, just use whatever works for the game in question.

That is the (well, a) joy of the Dresden Files RPG, it tries very hard to allow as much creative thought as possible.

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 09:00:46 PM »
Fair enough, fair enough.  Objections withdrawn.

Offline israphel

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2011, 03:11:03 AM »
I would pair it with a "human" virtue; something that general people hold up as "this is important" that Christian doctrine does not specifically endorse. Several come to mind, but they would generally be offensive to one side or the other of the christian/non-christian argument.

My idea behind it though is, this was the nail that wasn't really needed. It might be useful, it was there just in case, but God didn't really need the 4th nail to fulfill the Divine Plan. Maybe Assurance? Certainty? If you have Faith, Hope, and Love, you don't really need any more Assurance.

Offline Tempus Corvus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2011, 12:50:40 AM »
I was actually thinking about how to bring in something to combat Denarians for my game, and I realized something;
there have been a lot of martyred Saints over the course of history. Maybe there could be some lesser holy weapons made from their stuff?
My Dresden Files Purity Rating is 40%. It'd be higher if I could find the time to actually play the DFRPG.