Author Topic: DFRPG Campaign set in Boston: "House of Cards"  (Read 2010 times)

Offline TheRealMe

• Participant
    • View Profile
DFRPG Campaign set in Boston: "House of Cards"
« on: January 26, 2011, 05:48:45 AM »
My gaming group (in Colorado Springs, Colorado) has started our own Dresden Files RPG Campaign set in Boston: "House of Cards".  Anyone who cares to take a look will find us here:  http://coloradospringsgamers.yuku.com/forums/41

- Ed
Your logic is flawless.  But that doesn't mean you're right! - Tedd Good

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: DFRPG Campaign set in Boston: "House of Cards"
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:02:05 AM »
Is it based in anyway on the great British show "House of Cards"?

You might very well think that, but I could never comment.

Richard

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 06:28:57 PM »
Looks very interesting. Have you considered posting those characters to the Spare Character Concepts thread on the Resources board?

PS: Blair seems to have only one skill list. Shouldn't she get another one from her Beast Change power?
PPS: Is Blair a Soul Eater reference?

Offline Imp

• Conversationalist
  • Global Thermonuclear War
    • View Profile
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 07:21:44 PM »
Lotta people using Boston, kinda cool born and lived all my years so far in Boston

looks good

For places of interest.

The christian science monitor sits on a huge complex with multiable buildings, reflecting pool, church, school and offices
There is an church of Scientology on beacon street right down town.

Also Boston is comprised of many neighborhoods that while have their own names and zip codes still fall under the Boston city limits.
Imp's Corner

Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream-Lewis Carroll

Offline TheRealMe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 04:35:24 AM »
Thanks for your kind words. I"m fairly happy with how things are going so far (only two sessions).

I'm unfamiliar with the British show "House of Cards".  The reference in this campaign is to the uneasy peace that has been established in the last few decades between the main supernatural players, and which now threatens to fall apart.  There is friction among  and within the supernatural factions and rivalry and arguments, even among family members.  This is one of the themes we picked for the city: A House Divided.   Also, yes, this came from Boston's multitude of neighborhoods.

Both Blair and Shen Hua are inspired by anime characters.  Blair is from Soul Eater and Shen Hua is from Black Lagoon. You are correct about the second skill set that Blair should have.  I will point it out to the player.  Blair, like a character seen in the Dresden canon, is an animal that can shapeshift into a human.

I'll see what the other players think about posting characters, but we have them on our forum already.  Maybe a link would work better.

I lived around Marlborough and Hudson for a few years in the early nineties, and so have some familiarity with Boston.  When it came up in the short list of cities that we were thinking about, that is what I pushed for.   

Yes, I think I remember that church of Scientology.  It might be a while before we get around to needing new locations, though.  We sort of went overboard during city creation.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:25:19 PM »
Thanks for your kind words. I"m fairly happy with how things are going so far (only two sessions).

I'm unfamiliar with the British show "House of Cards".  The reference in this campaign is to the uneasy peace that has been established in the last few decades between the main supernatural players, and which now threatens to fall apart.  There is friction among  and within the supernatural factions and rivalry and arguments, even among family members.  This is one of the themes we picked for the city: A House Divided.   Also, yes, this came from Boston's multitude of neighborhoods.

The British show is a classic.  It's divided into three parts, each made up of four one-hour episodes.

It's based around a life long politician, a backroom insider who was promised a major promotion (and thought that he had signification influence in the government he helped get elected) just to see his hopes dashed.  With the support of his wife (a Lady MacBeth type) he decides to go for the top job.  Since he's the go to guy to hush up scandals he knows where all the bodies are buried and how to build the sort of scandal that can bring down the Prime Minister.  Moving behind the scenes he works in a way that no one suspects him - to the point that the Prime Minister thinks that he the most dependable member of the government and looks to him for advice.  When the Prime Minster  asks who's behind it all he honestly says "Someone very close to you who you least suspect" - causing the Prime Minster to fire his most loyal adviser.

Of course if anyone discovers what he is doing he be ruined - but if he can ruin all his rivals without being caught then he will end up running the country.

in short, it's wonderful inspiration on how run a White Court vampire or any other master manipulator.  I've heard that it's floating around on some torrent sites, and if you happen to stumble over it then it's worth watching.

Richard

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 11:38:55 PM »
I'd suggest using the area around Kenmore Square as a location. You've got Fenway Park, a bunch of clubs, and bits of colleges right there, and you're a hop and a skip from the Fine Arts Museum (if you're willing to brave the Fens).

I can even suggest the Aspect: "Nope. I still can't find a parking spot."

Offline TheRealMe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 01:43:17 AM »
Thanks for the ideas of extra locations in Boston.  I will post them in a thread on our "House of Cards" forum for the consideration of the GM and other players.

Regarding the British TV show "House of Cards," it sounds like a great drama.  I'll have to look it up.  Oh, or is it a dark comedy?  I suppose it could work either way.

- Ed

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 02:27:05 AM »
It's a drama with comic aspects.  There are some parts that are very funny while other parts... Well, lives get ruined.  People get set up and used.

And throughout the series the hero breaks the fourth wall.  He keeps the viewers in tune with his mental workings as he does his various things.

One of the funny bits? There's this girl reporter - just hired on the political desk and looking to make her mark on the world.  She manipulates the main character into doing what she wants... Well, that's what she thinks in happening - the viewer can see that he's guiding her into thinking that she's manipulating him as he sends her out to wreck his opponents... Er, I mean as she tricks him into giving her the details she needs to get to the front page.

At one point the main character's wife decides that they need the reporter bound a bit closer to them, so she tells them that she's going to the country and that he should do what he can to seduce the girl.  He handles the next bit so well that the reporter seduces him :) .

A very good series.

Richard