Author Topic: Two questions  (Read 7090 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Two questions
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 06:30:31 PM »
But considering that almost all of Butters' experience and knowledge is cutting up dead bodies, his skills are not very useful except to make assessments about how damaged another person is.

For instance, a very experienced, "high level" daycare worker won't be much good in a campaign either unless he or she has a minor talent or a massive amount of research into the supernatural.

If the campaign is going to be about how normal mortals cope with the supernatural, then ALL the players can be made at a low level. If one player is going to be higher level, then the challenges are going to be either too easy for that player, or too hard for the other players. DFRPG isn't the same as, say, Hero system or D&D, where challenge level is an almost mathematically determined, but there are still balance concepts at work.

Daycare workers and coroners are extreme examples of character concepts, and I wonder why they would be chosen in a Submerged-level game, without there being something else that makes them noteworthy. Butters was certainly a large part of the books he was in, but he can still be considered an NPC. Why are these character concepts on the table?

Murphy, Thomas, Michael, Kincaid: those are the general benchmarks in the game of the "Dresden Files" novels - the people Harry generally opts to have in his "party" when things hit the fan.

And if "daycare worker" or "clued-in coroner" are absolutely pivotal to each player's happy gaming experience, but they do not want supercharged versions of such professions, then those players can spend all of their Submerged-level skill points on having a greater number of skills at lower ranks, rather than aiming for higher skill points - for more of an "everyman" competency base.  And buy very few Stunts.

And even then, they are still going to want those extra, unspent Refresh points so they get a greater number of Fate Points during a refresh period, which gives them a better chance of surviving the encounters their Submerged-level spellcaster friend is probably going to be getting them into.

Edit: in the Unisystem games "Buffy," "Angel" and "Army of Darkness," they did have a mechanism for balancing the powerful Lead types against the lower-level normal people, and one of those was to award the less powerful types more Drama Points (roughly equivalent to Action or Fate Points). Those less powerful archetypes could save up those Drama Points for other benefits, but at the end of the day,m they generally needed those in order to survive things that were challenging their Lead player, their Buffy, Angel, Ash (and in this case, Harry Dresden).

Also, I'm currently in a game where I play the "lead" spellcaster, with a mortal and a secret WCV Virgin in tow, and even though we are all at the same Refresh level, there is still a distinct perception that the mortal and the non-spellcaster have to work hard to contribute in a fight, though they outshine my spellcaster in the more social challenges. If the mortal player had opted to "downgrade" his abilities (he's playing a high school whiz kid), he would be feeling even less useful. So you don't have to hamstring one or two players in the name of believability. The game can be hard enough as it is.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:42:56 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 06:39:27 PM »
But considering that almost all of Butters' experience and knowledge is cutting up dead bodies, his skills are not very useful except to make assessments about how damaged another person is.

I would like to point out that butters is a doctor. I have a friend who is seven years in to becoming a doctor. To become a doctor one must learn ALL OF MEDICAL SCIENCE. I will bet you butters knows a lot of useful things.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 09:01:37 PM »
I would like to point out that butters is a doctor. I have a friend who is seven years in to becoming a doctor. To become a doctor one must learn ALL OF MEDICAL SCIENCE. I will bet you butters knows a lot of useful things.

Hence why I said he could make assessments about the damage to other characters.

When a person goes through medical school and then does something else, they will not be at the competency of a practicing medical doctor.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 09:09:57 PM »
By the character creation rules, yes, but the rules are really only guidelines.  The first question is always if it makes sense narratively, and the second question is if it will make for a good game.

Why does the idea appeal to you?

I think that to a newly-clued in soldier out to feel less defenseless and eventually help people, down and dirty magic would be ideal.  My character will eventually pick up sponsored magic in the future (as I said before) but that will be used with an element of distaste...
(click to show/hide)

I think that my character will work towards one style of evocation with the same conviction and self discipline that he approached military training with.  This will make his power very narrow, but very powerful.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:58:16 PM by BumblingBear »
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 12:41:40 AM »
My character will eventually pick up sponsored magic in the future (as I said before) but that will be used with an element of distaste...
(click to show/hide)

Watch the spoilers.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2011, 01:58:03 AM »
Watch the spoilers.

Oh?

It may be against the rules and I will watch my spoilers from now on, but I am far from one of the worst here.

It seems to be fairly common to run into spoilers in the RPG section... probably because the RPG books themselves are impossible to read without spoilers. :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 02:00:17 AM by BumblingBear »

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2011, 04:53:35 AM »
Anything after Turn Coat is a spoiler in the RPG forum - which is why there is a sub forum for spoilers.

More information can be found in those sticky threads at the top of the forum.  Then again, we seem to be mostly ignored.  I've seen other threads moved from one forum to another because there was a spoiler in the thread.

Richard

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2011, 05:19:22 AM »
Anything after Turn Coat is a spoiler in the RPG forum - which is why there is a sub forum for spoilers.

More information can be found in those sticky threads at the top of the forum.  Then again, we seem to be mostly ignored.  I've seen other threads moved from one forum to another because there was a spoiler in the thread.

Richard

Indeed.

I'm a bit more free with my speech here because of that.  I actually kind of like it.  This section seems to have more of an air of .... "mutual cooperation".

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2011, 03:41:51 PM »
But keep i mind that I'm only on small favor. I have not read changes. So I would ask for you to at least black out the text of the spoiler like most do, so that way I get to pick and choose which spoilers I read. There is no need to not write them but do something so people know its a spoiler and they have the choice to read it or not. that way if they have a curiosity type aspect, at least they get a fate point for reading the spoiler.
"The door is ajar"

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2011, 03:58:42 PM »
Ok all fixed for now. :)

I will make sure to use spoiler tags in the future.

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2011, 05:07:52 PM »
Thank you
"The door is ajar"

Offline siggelsworth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2011, 08:37:33 PM »
Did soldier x serve in the 1st Earth Battalion under Lt. Colonel Jim Channon? He could have started his evoking career on goats.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2011, 08:58:48 PM »
Did soldier x serve in the 1st Earth Battalion under Lt. Colonel Jim Channon? He could have started his evoking career on goats.

That's pretty funny... but no. lol

I think I am going to write into his history that the first time he actually saw evocation was when a weak insurgent practitioner called up a shield of spirit.  He was eventually killed, but the memory will be strong for my character.

This will serve as the basis for his first and strongest evocation - spirit.