Author Topic: A little help here, please  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Skip6235

• Participant
    • View Profile
A little help here, please
« on: January 05, 2011, 05:29:47 PM »
I hope this is the right place for this topic.

I have very little experience in tabletop RPG's (read: tried one campaign in D&D and it lasted about an hour) but that's mostly because I don't know anyone who can be a GM, and trouble in getting people together.

I really would like to play a Dresden Files game, and I have an interesting character idea, but no idea where to start, what I'm doing, or where to find anyone else to play. Any suggestions?  ???
DV Skip6235 v1.2 YR3.5 FR2.5 BK+++ RP-(++) JB- TH(++) WG+ CL SW BC(++) MC++(-)(--)(---)(!) SH[Elaine++ Lash++ Molly++ Murphy--Stacy+++]

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: A little help here, please
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 05:53:15 PM »
There's usually a game or two being put together in the DFRPG Play By Post section, if you're willing to be patient until a recruitment thread comes up.  Forum-based play-by-post gaming is slower than tabletop, but it does the job. 

As for where to start/what you're doing, how do you mean?

Offline Skip6235

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 05:56:40 PM »
Yeah, I have done less rigid play by post RPG's before, but that was without any combat system. I figured a play by post would help me find other people willing to play and who know what they're doing.

What I mean is I have no idea how to play or what to do? Should I try and find the book, or a different book that describes the system? Is there like a website or anything that describes how to play?
DV Skip6235 v1.2 YR3.5 FR2.5 BK+++ RP-(++) JB- TH(++) WG+ CL SW BC(++) MC++(-)(--)(---)(!) SH[Elaine++ Lash++ Molly++ Murphy--Stacy+++]

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 06:12:29 PM »
Yeah, I have done less rigid play by post RPG's before, but that was without any combat system. I figured a play by post would help me find other people willing to play and who know what they're doing.

What I mean is I have no idea how to play or what to do? Should I try and find the book, or a different book that describes the system? Is there like a website or anything that describes how to play?

Buy the book.

I think you can buy the PDF as well, but I personally prefer hard copies for ease for looking up info.

I am learning myself right now, and it helps a lot to stick page markers in my book for easy reference.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Skip6235

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 06:43:01 PM »
Ok, so the book will basically tell me what I need to know? It might be nice to have just to add to my DF collection anyway

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 06:46:53 PM »
The Dresden Files RPG book is very much worth the purchase.  Not only does it describe the rules well, but it's visually pretty and pretty hilarious in parts, too.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:29:54 PM »
There are two books - one with the rules to make a character and one with the monsters and characters from the books.

And if you buy the physical books and contact the people at Evil Hats I think they will send you a copy of the pdf.  It's been a while since I looked at that offer so you should check their website for details.

As for as finding gamers, you should check around at you local gaming store.  The people running those will often pass on named (the more people gaming the more they sell).

Richard

Offline Sitrein

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 03:59:38 PM »
As a book store employee where 1/4 of the people in my store play DFRPG and half play other RPGs (Hell, only two people there don't read Dresden), I recommend checking out gaming stores first but you also might check out a local Borders or Barnes and Noble. I mean, you could at least see about putting up a flyer for trying to build a gaming group or something. Being allowed to put up flyers is pretty case by case as far as whether a store will allow it but it never hurts to ask. Just mention that to play the DFRPG you're supposed to read up through Small Favor at least so it would also promote their store in that regard. Besides, if you're lucky you'll happen to talk to an employee who's trying to put together a game or wants in on a game.