Author Topic: Can a House satisfy a catch  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
Re: Can a House satisfy a catch
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 07:08:18 AM »
I disagree about *never* being used against them.  If that were the case,. the PCs would never get to use an enemy's +0 Catch against them, either.  I'd say that the Catch should only *exceptionally rarely* come up against the PC - say, only once or twice, and only in major climactic battles.

I stand by my never.  The thing is, I do not allow the same expectation to be extended to NPCs.  But then again, the catch value of NPCs is pretty much irrelevant.  If it gets used enough to make it worth +3 because every PC in the group has true love, it doesn't really matter.  They still have whatever powers they were going to have.

I should mention that the catch valuation guidelines under toughness are screwy and unbalanced (and do not adequately correspond to a value of +0 for True Love).

It's mentioned explicitly in the books
(click to show/hide)
; I can't get you chapter and verse right now (one of my players has my copy), but I distinctly remember it as an explanation on why Thomas was never burned by touching his brother.

Here is your quote.  It's from Chapter 10.

Quote from: TurnCoat
(click to show/hide)

But then again, in Chapter 9, it says this, which clearly indicates WCVs are hurt by objects symbolizing love.  Which is easy to rationalize if feeding is the default state of a WCV, thus escaping thier catch is not a "little problem".

Quote from: TurnCoat
(click to show/hide)

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 01:51:55 AM »
Dude, if a player goes through the trouble of singlehandedly building a house for his wife... placing every brick, driving every nail, laying every plank of the wood floor, all while always thinking about his wife and planning everything just the way she would like it....  yeah, that's got to count, and it's going to have a hell of a threshold, vamps or no vamps.  Probably even greater if they did it all together.

But hiring a company to build a house for your true love?  Different story.

Now, if I'm a player of a wcv and this perfect house happens to show up, you know as an NPC house where significant portions of a PCs time have been spent doing this....  well, thats a molotov cocktail waiting to happen. 

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 06:30:05 AM »
I disagree.  I've posted this before, but I feel that the only things that should meet the catch (besides people) are items that both the symbolic of love (Rose, Wedding Ring) and have been infused by it. 

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 06:41:16 AM »
Then why can Thomas not touch the scarf Justine made him?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 07:48:40 AM »
Then why can Thomas not touch the scarf Justine made him?

I was about to make the same point. It's not a traditional symbol of love (like wedding rings or roses) but it was lovingly made by Justine as a gift for her true love and it burns WCVs.

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 03:38:24 PM »
I'm sorry but I have to say it:

Houses should also satisfy the catch of wicked witches of the west.
"The door is ajar"

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 08:50:13 PM »
I totally agree with sjksprocket but should be falling houses.
Bad typists untie!!!!