Author Topic: Any WriMo's out there?  (Read 18017 times)

Offline Tersa

• Participant
  • J'aime le beau vampire <3
    • View Profile
Re: Any WriMo's out there?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 09:16:31 PM »
I'm one of those people that has signed up, but never actually managed to do the challenge. *Sweatdrop* I'm going to this year, though!  Thanks for mentioning the screenplay thing they've got going this year... I never would have known about it otherwise. I writing screenplays is actually easier for me, mostly because I love dialogue and listening to people talk, but I can't figure out how to describe what the characters are doing as they speak.  I see everything going on in this perfect movie in my head, and it's hard to describe how someone's pacing around the room without having adverbs all over the place.  :D
My avatar hosted by the folks at www.flickr.com.  This link is included so their TOS guys don't hunt me down. O_O

Though the French under my avi is probably incorrect, please don't hurt me...

Offline Donna

• Participant
  • Always look on the bright side of life...
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 04:28:28 AM »
I'm not going for the whole screenwriting thing, but I plan on doing WriMo for the first time (that's right, a n00b!) this November!  Very excited- any tips?

Like AA, take it one day at a time.  Concentrate on writing 1667 words just for that one day.  Never, never think about 50,000, even on the 29th day.

Tell yourself every day that you're writing crap.  If you have to, start writing bad prose on purpose.  Once things get flowing you may forget yourself and come out with something terrific!  ;D

Advice from a one year participant/winner.   ::)
I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Offline apothecaryrose

• Participant
  • Anarchy-gasm....
    • View Profile
    • The Morrighan
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 06:49:06 PM »
I plan on participating this year. It'll be my first year. I'm excited. And worried. I hope that classes aren't so busy that I can't make the 50,000 word mark (but then I am taking organic chem... so i may be insane enough by the time that November hits that I'll be running without sleep).
There is a light side, a dark side, and then there's my side, we kill people ten times faster and with less reason.

You foil a Faerie Queen. Survive your own execution. Get away from certain death. And get stuck up a freaking tree. God I hope no one sees you like this. -Summer Knight

Offline TigerKat24

• Participant
  • Evily Evil McEvilpants
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 11:42:44 PM »
Three-year NaNo veteran, just won for the first time last year. Not to say I've actually finished the story itself. But hey.
I am definitely participating this year. Even though it's my first year of college. Uh, yeah, this is gonna get interesting.
~TigerKat~
Minions! Evil demands chocolate chips!
Harry/Murphy: OTP from Page 10

Offline Opalescence

• Lurker
  • Queen of October
    • View Profile
    • Andrea Miccaver
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 12:35:04 AM »
I'm a NaNoWriMo virgin. That status will change this year though.  ;)
Humanity needs a backup copy.

Why, hello Mars . . .

Offline blue moon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2006, 06:13:18 PM »
Well, it's Oct 1st, which means the official run-up to NaNoWriMo has begun.  Anyone plan to participate this year?  I've been poking my way through an outline, and hope to be ready to roll Nov 1.  Believe it or not, this will be my first story with supernatural characters!

Offline Athanasia

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2006, 10:08:19 PM »
Thanks to this thread - I remembered hearing about this and decided to check the site. Looks like a good way to kick myself into writing something that size! lol

For the past few years, I've let text based RPG's be my main creative outlet. It means I'll get out several thousand words a week sometimes and I have a couple fans here and there (which is always lovely for an amateur) but... my ambitions to ever write something novel-sized and of my own creation entirely were left behind ;)

Thanks for reminding me and... I'm afraid I've contaminated two other guys. November is going to be a poor month on our side of the RPG world, LOL

Athanasia

Offline ashton

• All-Purpose Brute Squad and General Contractor
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 08:28:19 PM »
I've just deleted two comments, terroja's initial troll and the response to it.

Two things:

1. Keep it civil, or find a new home.

2. Don't feed the trolls. Just report them to us.

Ashton
I am the Brute Squad.

Actually, I'm one of the moderators.

This is my moderator voice. Ignore it at your peril.

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 08:29:58 PM »
On one hand, calling the WriMo project stupid shouldn't be equated with calling anyone's dreams stupid...it's a project designed to get people to write, not the end all be all of writing.
Unless you're Piers Anthony, in which case a book a month sounds about right.

On the other hand, asking if you're the only one with enough sense is a bit on the insulting side, terroja. Tact. Taaaaaaact.

Personally, I'll not instrested in this project, because there's no way in hell I'll be able to turn out anything remotely decent that quickly. Sadly.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline waywardclam

• Conversationalist
  • Dangerous Submersive
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 08:55:32 PM »
Ten four, guys.  I'll try to leave the modding to the mods from here on in.  :)
But MAYBE Lasciel will try to tempt Harry with the prospect of redeeming HER.
Wouldn't *that* be a powerful scene?

Offline Belial

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2006, 04:56:07 AM »
I've been trying to figure out what NaNoWriMo meant for a couple of months (darned acronyms), and finally had the great idea to google it (after a couple of months). I have to say, it sounds really cool, I tend to write quite slowly as a general rule, putting painstaking effort into the wording of everything, and while it might sound nice, I have trouble getting anything done. This sounds like it might be fun to try, try to change some of my habits. And heck, I lose nothing by trying (except perhaps sleep, sanity, personal relationships, grades, health... you know, the small things in life).

*sighs* I actually kinda wish I could start right now, cause I'm rather hyped about the whole thing... but I'll wait as I'm supposed to.. I'll just work on another story of mine instead.

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2006, 12:02:55 PM »
You could always set your own timeline & go at it. ;)
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline terroja

• Participant
  • Psycho Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2006, 06:59:43 PM »
[quote author=Mickey Finn link=topic=234.msg16554#msg16554 date=1160684998
On the other hand, asking if you're the only one with enough sense is a bit on the insulting side, terroja. Tact. Taaaaaaact.

It was meant to be insulting. Tact is not a trait I possess or aspire to possess.

But for the sake of your authority, I will attempt to fake it.
A man feared that he might find an assassin;
Another that he might find a victim.
One was more wise than the other.

Offline ashton

• All-Purpose Brute Squad and General Contractor
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2006, 09:47:03 PM »
[quote author=Mickey Finn link=topic=234.msg16554#msg16554 date=1160684998

It was meant to be insulting. Tact is not a trait I possess or aspire to possess.

But for the sake of your authority, I will attempt to fake it.

Thank you for making this easy, then.

As you display no repentance for what you did, and in fact a ringing contempt for the community standards, you can fly your "I'm an asshole and I don't care" flag somewhere else.

You're banned.
I am the Brute Squad.

Actually, I'm one of the moderators.

This is my moderator voice. Ignore it at your peril.

Offline Belial

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2006, 10:22:00 PM »
I could set my own timeline. But I'm afraid that if I do it will end up on the wayside of other things, I'm thinking that doing it this way will get me to do it. I tend to be a "eh I'll do it later" type of person.

So, I'll wait and do it then, finish up my current story first, and hope it gives me the impetus to do it all.  ;)