Author Topic: Artificial, Temporal Thresholds (Weekends, Months, Years, etc)  (Read 1270 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
Artificial, Temporal Thresholds (Weekends, Months, Years, etc)
« on: January 01, 2011, 03:43:06 AM »
A household's threshold is artificial and spacial.  The thresholds of sunset and sunrise are natural and temporal.  The thresholds of Solstices have at least one effect in the Dresdenverse with Summer and Winter, and are natural and temporal.  So, the question is, do the human institutions of temporal management--weeks, months, years, decades, centuries--also have a threshold effect on magic? 

Or, in other words, does year's end have an effect?  (and, slightly more snarkily, did the White Council have a Y2K issue, with the end of the millennium on top of everything else?)
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Artificial, Temporal Thresholds (Weekends, Months, Years, etc)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 08:24:07 AM »
It's certainly likely, with the amount of belief folks invested into the end of the Millennium, that there was some in-world effect.  Not sure if it would act as a Threshold, but it might.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 06:43:14 PM »
I'd say Halloween is a Threshold weakener. Not home Thresholds, but the ones between the NeverNever and the world.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 06:45:23 PM »
I agree, Mij, but therein lies a chicken-and-the-egg paradox.  Does Halloween weaken the border between the Nevernever and the human world because folks have labeled it a creepy day and attached occult significance, or have folks attached occult significance to the day because that's a day when the barriers are thin and things tend to leak through?

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 07:15:48 PM »
Does it matter? Either way, it is thin and they are getting through. Maybe figuring it out will be some Character's goal.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+