Author Topic: Compelling a Knight of the Cross / The Almighty's Agenda  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
Compelling a Knight of the Cross / The Almighty's Agenda
« on: December 24, 2010, 04:36:37 PM »
So all those with a Knight of the Cross-type person in your DFRPG party / group - how is he (or she) being compelled on his high concepts & troubles?

I guess I'm looking into some insight on what God's agenda seems to be in your games.

Thanx plenty and best of the holiday season to all of you!

Offline Imp

• Conversationalist
  • Global Thermonuclear War
    • View Profile
    • Imp's Corner
Re: Compelling a Knight of the Cross / The Almighty's Agenda
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 05:38:39 PM »
the game i play in atm run with a knight of the cross, mainly our GM compels him with making sure we do the right thing instead of the D&D tactics of kick the door down, kill the monster, take the treasure

in place of that we get things like this;

people need to be saved
evil can be redeamed
innocents must be protected
ultimate evil must be put down
Imp's Corner

Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream-Lewis Carroll

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 05:42:40 PM »
I'd run as compelling them to save even those they realllly want to kill
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Jaxom Faux

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 11:12:50 PM »
it's my understanding in the DFRPG universe that GOD's agenda is to promote free will, to allow mortals choice. the nights were formed to save the people being controlled by the denarians and the knights usually freelance anywhere there's anybody forcing people to do things against their will.

so for my game i unfortunately have 3 holy rollers and because they have somewhat differing "faiths" i have to give each a different set of rules.

my kotc knock-off gets the usual save the victim from something evil a lot, as well as some moral choices such as Imp suggested, including some of "the greater good vs. the good of the one" type.

my "holy supernatural bounty hunter" gets many kill the vampires who are trying to eat someone etc. situations as well as a few "what counts as mortal?" curveballs.
for instance: WC vampires are pretty much "Mortal" most of the time when their "inner demon" isn't in control, or is a focused practitioner still mortal even though it has supernatural powers and it's using them for evil?

my "holy human hero" aka duddly do-right wannabe gets pretty much EVERY stereotypical "But wouldn't it be good/just/fair/right/morally correct to do _____?" which has been highly entertaining since he plays his character so naive...  including a RC vampire convincing him that even though it had kidnapped a party member and tortured her in it's basement that the hero COULDN'T just break into his house to take her back since that was against the law and a hero wouldn't stoop to that level :P

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 02:18:18 AM »
As long as the character is somehow compelled to do something he sees as "good", I allow it as the Almighty's agenda. I find it silly that the Almighty's only got one agenda on His plate or has only a narrow range of agendas.

Someone gifted with Soulfire could have been so given such that he delivers the Wrath of God. Another could be to spread God's mercy. The agendas could be diametrically opposed but still be on His agenda.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline tymire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 06:21:23 PM »
Also remember he works in unknowable ways and on many different levels.  Read the short story "The Warrior" for inspiration, Urel's chat with Harry at the end was one of the best scenes that JB has written imo.  You could easly make it where the player is called away to do some "trivial" task, while there is a clear and present danger as vamps eating the rest of the party.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 05:53:41 PM »
Also remember he works in unknowable ways and on many different levels.  Read the short story "The Warrior" for inspiration, Urel's chat with Harry at the end was one of the best scenes that JB has written imo.  You could easly make it where the player is called away to do some "trivial" task, while there is a clear and present danger as vamps eating the rest of the party.

yeah i totally loved the whole butterfly effect thing Uriel had going on in that conversation I hope Jim does that again sometime
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 06:04:40 PM »

I think I may have an allergy to Jim's writing , because sometimes when I read scenes like that my eyes begin to water.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 11:42:20 PM »
Lots of thanks for the pointer at The Warrior - its given me lots to think about - and to work with. I'd read it long ago - and totally forgot its lessons. Might be a good time to read over the books again.