Author Topic: Flavored Fate Points  (Read 1486 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Flavored Fate Points
« on: December 27, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
I am pondering the value of assigning particular affinities or flavors to Fate point rewards. This would generally require the GM to have a variety of tokens to hand out, of course.

For example: a player earns a Fate point for self-compelling an Aspect that would infuriate him (let's say, having to let a criminal go on a technicality), and instead of getting a white poker chip, the GM provides an "anger-flavored" red poker chip. Later, that player gets into a conflict - perhaps even with the criminal from the earlier self-compel - and spends a Fate point to get a bonus to a roll that is in line with venting that anger/fury/etc.: could the system stand allowing that player a +3 for using an anger-flavored Fate point for an anger-flavored action? Would you propose a lesser benefit of some sort: possibly an automatic success one one or more of the dice used in the roll?

I would not propose making the flavored Fate point less useful for actions that are opposed to the flavor - just a benefit for redirecting that energy back out into the universe - a sort of Fate point Aikido.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
Re: Flavored Fate Points
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 06:58:41 PM »
Interesting idea, but the bookkeeping and additional adjudication that it entails would be too much for me to run.  Plus, it's a little too easily broken--+3 is a LOT in the Fate system, and anything that makes my inner Munchkin lick its chops like this is something that I don't think I'd personally be comfortable with having at the table. 
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 07:05:31 PM »
Interesting idea, but the bookkeeping and additional adjudication that it entails would be too much for me to run.  Plus, it's a little too easily broken--+3 is a LOT in the Fate system, and anything that makes my inner Munchkin lick its chops like this is something that I don't think I'd personally be comfortable with having at the table. 

+3 does sound like it could potentially be a game-breaker, but what do you think about guaranteeing success on one or more of the dice in a roll? Too close to a +3?

The paperwork could be onerous, but if you only have 3-6 flavors it might not be so bad: players could mark 1G 2R 1W for one Green FP, 2 Red FPs and 1 White FP, and the pressure of each situation would be memorable enough that the intent of those colored FPs would be fresh in their mind when they used them, which is usually fairly quickly.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 07:13:36 PM »
My PCs are Fate Point banks; they ask for a lot and then never give it back.  :D  I think the record so far in this campaign has been 16 Fate Points banked at once, and then half of those 16 expended in a single round. 

The only way I'd allow it is with a tweak to your original idea: they can expend only One flavored Fate Point at a time.  That's a bit more balanced. 
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 09:56:33 PM »
Or only one flavor bonus applies? That way they aren't restricted when they're spending their fate points, but they only get the added benefit once.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:04:10 PM »
Or only one flavor bonus applies? That way they aren't restricted when they're spending their fate points, but they only get the added benefit once.

Both of your views seem to be in line. I'd agree that a flavored FP  (or FFP) could be used for something else, as just a regular FP, but only one appropriate FFP would give the bonus during a check.