Author Topic: Kindle 3  (Read 3860 times)

Offline pfloyd

• Participant
  • Team Dresden
    • View Profile
Kindle 3
« on: December 14, 2010, 02:18:08 PM »
Now that it's been out for a while, has anyone tried reading the DFRPG books on a Kindle 3? I have it on high authority that I'm getting one for Christmas, and I'm planning on uploading them (along with a few other RPG PDFs... and eBooks, of course) onto the Kindle, which will really save me some space for my annual Christmas road trip.
I know DFRPG is graphics-heavy... some of the other PDFs I'm loading up might be as well... and I don't care about the grey scale. I just need the info carried within the books.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." -- Douglas Adams

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle 3
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 03:28:28 PM »
I have the Kindle 2, so I don't know how far the difference between the two is, but it is not a good choice for reading the DFRPG books, primarily because the background isn't white.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 04:02:02 PM »
The thing I've noticed about reading PDFs on the kindle is that unlike ereader formats the kindle can't change the page or type size which can make them hard to read.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 07:04:38 PM »
There are tools out there, that help you in removing images from graphics heavy PDF files.
Including stripping the background.

Though i do not know if it's strictly legal to do that to the DFRPG PDFs.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 07:11:22 PM »
The Dresden PDFs - or at least the pre-release ones that I got when I pre-ordered - are easy to copy from.

Since we had some player who were behind in the books I made a "spoiler friendly" version of our world by opening the pdf, hitting control A, then pasting into Word.  That gave me a huge text file.

Then I did a pair of search and replaces, replacing the letters that boarder every page with nothing and the file wasn't so huge.  Then I went through deleting the hard returns.  The hardest part? The sidebars.  All of those comments by Bob, Harry, and Billy were basically at random spots on those pages.  Even when I moved them around so they made sense the underlines were missing so it wasn't clear what they were commenting on.

But it can be done - and when you're finished you have a text file that has all the rules in it.

Richard

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 08:32:45 AM »
I've got the Kindle DX (2nd Generation), which displays the PDFs fine. However, it's got a 9.7" screen. I'd think the smaller 6" screen would reduce the print size too much. I suppose that in landscape mode it might be okay, but you'll only see a half-page at a time.
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline pfloyd

• Participant
  • Team Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 04:34:40 PM »
Okay, I got my Kindle 3, and loaded up the PDFs (official release version) onto the unit without converting.
Man, it looks sharp! I can read the print without too much difficulty. I can always zoom in if I have an problems.
So far, other RPG PDFs also look good on it.
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." -- Douglas Adams

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 09:18:03 PM »
That would be the current Kindle with the 6" Display, right ?

Offline pfloyd

• Participant
  • Team Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 02:40:07 PM »
Yes it is. I can also zoom in on sections and navigate around a page if I find I can't read a particular section. It's also working nicely with my HERO, GURPS, D&D 4e and other RPG PDFs.

This will certainly save me lots of packing room for my upcoming vacation.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 03:11:56 PM »
Yes it is. I can also zoom in on sections and navigate around a page if I find I can't read a particular section. It's also working nicely with my HERO, GURPS, D&D 4e and other RPG PDFs.

This will certainly save me lots of packing room for my upcoming vacation.

This application is why we use our netbook.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 03:57:53 PM »
does anyone know if it works similarly well on an Ipad?
"The door is ajar"

Tbora

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 05:55:38 PM »
does anyone know if it works similarly well on an Ipad?

Works better on an Ipad as the Ipad is meant to be as graphic heavy as you can get (it plays videos after all).

Buy the appropriate reader app and have fun :D

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 05:57:48 PM »
Works better on an Ipad as the Ipad is meant to be as graphic heavy as you can get (it plays videos after all).

Buy the appropriate reader app and have fun :D

It is awesome on the Ipad. I have most of my RPGs, Miniature game rule books, army lists, and so forth on there. I now have to carry so much less around. It's awesome.

As for an app, may I recommend Good Reader? It's a buck, and allows you file and folder management, note taking, and all around better organization.

Offline Timdog8888

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »
I'm really glad to hear that the dog books look good on the new kindle. Now that it's sown to 114, I'm planning on picking one up soon, and I was hoping to be able to use it to read rpg PDFs and save some space.

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 04:59:19 AM »
From what I've researched of the issue (for future shopping for myself) the Nook Color and the iPad (of course) are pretty good for pdf reading.
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?