Author Topic: Recovery Powers Vs. Diseases  (Read 2017 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
Recovery Powers Vs. Diseases
« on: December 09, 2010, 03:14:57 AM »
Mulling this point over: Would a mortal, like say, lycanthropes, that have a Recovery power gain any resistant to diseases?  Especially chronic diseases?  (Most especially viruses and STDs...)

Leaning towards yes, but only because of the logic that the recovery power is supernatural in nature and isn't apt to distinguish between diseases based on their exact bio-chemical makeup as it restores the individual to full health.  (Also, berserkers were known to be unnaturally hale during a disease-ridden period, so, point there).  However, I'm hesitant to "grant" additional powers/trappings, even when they make sense, due to the potential for abuse.

Thoughts?
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Recovery Powers Vs. Diseases
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 04:01:37 AM »
Mundane diseases, I'd say they get at least a bonus. Magical diseases... well, canon indicates they're vulnerable to those.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 04:33:32 AM »
Mundane diseases, definitely a bonus, if not outright immunity in some cases. Madeline speaks of Harry as being as hard to get rid of as herpes in Turn Coat.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 05:19:10 AM »
Personally, I think that is more of a saying than anything else.  And I'd say at the very best, if it's not just a saying... it's ABSOLUTELY an extreme consequence. So it would take ages to get rid of... and giving that relationship... harder to not keep contracting...
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 06:13:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure WoJ has said that Wizard's constitution doesn't keep one from contracting a disease.  But diseases like pneumonia, when you become more susceptible after having it once, it allows to heal completely.

But for a recovery power... i'd say you could catch a disease, but you heal from it really fast.  So you don't even feel the mild ones, whereas Ebola would lay you low for a couple of days.  Just my interpretation.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 05:07:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure WoJ has said that Wizard's constitution doesn't keep one from contracting a disease.  But diseases like pneumonia, when you become more susceptible after having it once, it allows to heal completely.

But for a recovery power... i'd say you could catch a disease, but you heal from it really fast.  So you don't even feel the mild ones, whereas Ebola would lay you low for a couple of days.  Just my interpretation.

I hadn't remembered reading this, but upon searching I found it in a very long WoJ that I only had the time to skim over when I was making my WoJ compilation linked in my sig.  Here's the WoJ you are refering to.

link
Yeah, wizards have the capacity to recover from things, but they don't have any particular increased resistance to contracting a disease.  They just come back from it in better shape than regular folks.  For example, if you get a good case of pneumonia (like I did), you've got a reduced capacity to resist subsequent similar infections.  And that's it.  In fact, having gotten pneumonia once gives you a pretty darn big mathematical probability that you're going to die of pneumonia in the future.  (Pneumonia being one of the main things that actually does the killing when you've got cancer or other serious medical issues.)  Wizards don't face that same danger.  If they beat it, they beat it, and it isn't of any more consequence than getting over a cold.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Motman

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Atlanta
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 05:45:05 PM »
I think that they would if the disease is based on the Endurance of the character.  Those who are tougher may be able to shrug off a disease such as a simple cold.  Inhuman or greater toughness may give a bonus to "resisting" the disease similar to an aspect.  The character could make declaration about it and get the bonus.

This makes perfect sense.  Just determine if the disease causes stress and how long it takes to remove the stress.  A disease that kills quickly may cause a large amount of stress that even taking consequences will take care of.  The inhuman or better recovery would reduce the time it takes to get rid of the stress and consequences.  I see it as a disease that causes 4 stress will lay low a mediocre human.  They then take a moderate physical consequence of D@mn Headache to remove 4 of the stress.  Inhuman recovery would just get rid of the consequences much faster resulting in a faster "cure".
I watch Too much Anime

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 03:13:09 AM »
And something with Mythic Recovery, which can recover from even serious consequences inbetween scenes, is not going to die out of any disease.

I mean, if in 5 minutes or even 15 minutes you can heal being eviscerated, normally lethal consequences of disease that would take days to apply are nothing.

Offline Motman

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Atlanta
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 01:44:37 AM »
And something with Mythic Recovery, which can recover from even serious consequences inbetween scenes, is not going to die out of any disease.

I mean, if in 5 minutes or even 15 minutes you can heal being eviscerated, normally lethal consequences of disease that would take days to apply are nothing.

I agree, though most things with Mythic Recovery are so far from human they may not even be able to catch most mortal diseases.  A demon or dragon is most likely not going to be able catch the chicken pox.  Having a 5 to 15 minute recovery from any disease a creature of that toughness can get seems about right.
I watch Too much Anime