Author Topic: New Stunt: Iron Mind  (Read 1547 times)

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
New Stunt: Iron Mind
« on: December 09, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »
Iron Mind: The strength of you will, honed through years of practice, is such that you can endure much greater stresses before they begin to take a toll.  You may take one additional mild mental consequence (page 203).

Based off of these:

No Pain, No Gain: You can take a bunch of punishment before it starts to add up. You may take one additional mild physical consequence (page 203).

Resilient Self-Image: Your sense of self is strong, enabling you to endure more psychological punishment than most. When facing torture or other extreme interrogation techniques, You may take two additional mild mental consequences (page 203).

Anyone see any issues with that?  I ask because there doesn't seem to be a whole bunch of Mental weapons or armor abilities, aside from what you can concoct via spellcasting.

(edited to fix typos)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 03:04:47 AM by zerogain »

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: New Stunt: Iron Mind
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 07:46:29 PM »
See also "Inhuman Stoicism," "Supernatural Stoicism," and "Mythic Stoicism" in the Custom Powers thread. I think the deemphasis of mental powers may be the reason such stunts and toughness powers weren't developed. Or maybe the game designers wanted to ensure that Mental threats were more potent when they got used.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 07:53:23 PM »
Not trying to be a jerk or anything but maybe I missed something. Isn't Iron Mind exactly like Resilient Self-Image only not as good?

Wait, just noticed the limitation on Resilient Self-Image. Nevermind.

Tbora

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 07:56:54 PM »
Not trying to be a jerk or anything but maybe I missed something. Isn't Iron Mind exactly like Resilient Self-Image only not as good?

Wait, just noticed the limitation on Resilient Self-Image. Nevermind.

You could use this power for spell-casting which with resilient self image you can't, making this just as potent despite the single consequence being added instead of two.

Offline Captain Indigo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 07:59:51 PM »
I think the deemphasis of mental powers may be the reason such stunts and toughness powers weren't developed. Or maybe the game designers wanted to ensure that Mental threats were more potent when they got used.
While Mental threats being well scary is definitely something I like, I'm still surprised there isn't something in the book considering Wizards (or any other mortal caster) gain Mental Stress like a fat kid going through Halloween candy. It makes sense that someone that is routinely tossing spells around would eventually gain more Mental resilience than what they would have from simply having a high Conviction score.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 09:28:55 PM »
Do you mind if I add this to the master list of homebrew stunts?

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 09:42:07 PM »
Not at all, go ahead and add.

And yes, this was explicitly intended for a spellcaster to get another few points of stress and hopefully um... un-"fat kid" himself :)