Author Topic: Catch Ideas  (Read 9302 times)

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Catch Ideas
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2010, 12:54:50 AM »
I thought he used barbed wire to summon the erlking.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2010, 02:10:20 AM »
Darn, I think you're right.  But I could swear that he used nylon in place of "unnatural rope" somewhere and I'm pretty sure that Butters or another person said something about him using stuff from Wal-Mart.

Now I wish I had the electronic versions of the books to search them...

Of course, it's always possible that I'm confusing Dresden with another urban fantasy that had it.

Richard

Offline HappyDaze

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2010, 05:45:08 AM »
I'm not sure why there's so many attempts to make The Catch into something so exotic that's it's almost impossible for it to come up.  I'd rather see The Catch be something that likely will come up in play (especially for PCs with The Catch) and instead try to make the creature/opponent more interesting and have to think through things rather than just rely on a near-impervious defense from a super-obscure application of The Catch.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2010, 06:03:53 AM »
I'm not sure why there's so many attempts to make The Catch into something so exotic that's it's almost impossible for it to come up.  I'd rather see The Catch be something that likely will come up in play (especially for PCs with The Catch) and instead try to make the creature/opponent more interesting and have to think through things rather than just rely on a near-impervious defense from a super-obscure application of The Catch.

This is a thread for Catch ideas, which implies exotic ideas, as opposed to the mundane.  It's easy to say "The Catch is Sunlight/sugar/glass/blond hair/etc and you have to deal with that in play."  But that can get boring as well, to the point where you might as well not have those powers. 

Also, the spice of the exotic can keep a game interesting.  Fairies and cold iron?  Been there, done that.  Black Court?  Murphy called it living the cliche for a reason.  But a big McNasty from the Nevernever who can kill with its mind... and is only vulnerable to the application of obscure mathematical treatises?  That'll be an encounter that the PCs will remember for a long time. 

And for other considerations, sometimes the weird Catches make sense.  I know that a magical assassin with an easy to exploit weakness is going to have a short career, so in cases like that, an obscure/exotic Catch makes sense and adds tension (and, if handled right, drama). 
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline HappyDaze

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2010, 05:30:50 PM »
I know that a magical assassin with an easy to exploit weakness is going to have a short career, so in cases like that, an obscure/exotic Catch makes sense and adds tension (and, if handled right, drama). 
I'll have to disagree here.  If the enemy is intelligent, they can hide even a "common & known" weakness.  Your magical assassin could have something as common as Cold Iron as The Catch, but then he hides that he's a Changeling (Glamours work wonders, and so does adequate precautions and planning) so that it doesn't open him to a hurting quite so much.  To me that's more interesting and strains my suspension of disbelief less than some of these crazily exotic versions of The Catch.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2010, 05:48:21 PM »
Darn, I think you're right.  But I could swear that he used nylon in place of "unnatural rope" somewhere and I'm pretty sure that Butters or another person said something about him using stuff from Wal-Mart.

Now I wish I had the electronic versions of the books to search them...

Of course, it's always possible that I'm confusing Dresden with another urban fantasy that had it.

Richard

actually i just finished rereading dead beat for the billionth time he did use barbed wire and harry was the one making the comment about his circle calling it a  quikie mart alcatraz
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2010, 06:37:27 PM »
I'll have to disagree here.  If the enemy is intelligent, they can hide even a "common & known" weakness.  Your magical assassin could have something as common as Cold Iron as The Catch, but then he hides that he's a Changeling (Glamours work wonders, and so does adequate precautions and planning) so that it doesn't open him to a hurting quite so much.  To me that's more interesting and strains my suspension of disbelief less than some of these crazily exotic versions of The Catch.

Fair.  That's even on the Evil Overlord List:
222. Whatever my one vulnerability is, I will fake a different one. For example, ordering all mirrors removed from the palace, screaming and flinching whenever someone accidentally holds up a mirror, etc. In the climax when the hero whips out a mirror and thrusts it at my face, my reaction will be "Hmm...I think I need a shave."

And to be fair, I doubt any GM would use such rare/creative/unusual Catches more than once or twice a campaign (I'm currently not planning on using any, actually, for my present campaign); overusing it leads to your issue, as well as cases of Special Snowflake Syndrome and Power Creep.  But, used occasionally and well, I think the exotic Catches add to the story. 
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2010, 07:14:22 PM »
actually i just finished rereading dead beat for the billionth time he did use barbed wire and harry was the one making the comment about his circle calling it a  quikie mart alcatraz

Darn.  I was sure the unnatural rope bit was in the series somewhere.  I guess I'm mistaken...

Mental note: I need to buy the series in ebook so I can search for keywords like "rope" and "nylon".

Richard

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2010, 04:47:12 AM »
The rope with unicorn hair was a present from lily or titania, IIRC.  And I can't remember who exactly,..... Oh that's right! :)  He used it to type up a certain somebody that was inhumanly strong and *hungry* so they could have their fun time. :)
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2010, 04:34:40 PM »
The rope with unicorn hair was a present from lily or titania, IIRC.  And I can't remember who exactly,..... Oh that's right! :)  He used it to type up a certain somebody that was inhumanly strong and *hungry* so they could have their fun time. :)

I thought i remember him saying fix made it
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...