Author Topic: Help with enchanted item  (Read 1410 times)

Offline Cavallo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Help with enchanted item
« on: January 24, 2011, 01:30:23 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the boards and game. I've just bought core rulebook last week and currently we're planning our first campaign. Can you please help me with designing this particular enchanted item?

One of my friends is playing Warden. He'd like to have sword that looks like a walkingstick pretty much all the time. He even has Aspect "Old athlete with old injury" and his character limps. At first I tought idea sounds good, but now I'm not so sure.

I would make it as item based on veil cause it's illusion, but what about how many times per session it could be used? He wants this effect to be permanent. Is it possible? Or maybe it's way over powered or not in line with dresdenverse? How would you handle it?

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Help with enchanted item
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 01:43:58 AM »
My first thought is to tell you to make an Item of Power that grants glamours and something else.  The simplest solution though would be to just make a sword cane.  That is (I am going to explain what it is even if you know because I over explain things...its a character fault of mine) simply a sword whose sheath looks like a walking stick or cane, the hilt looks like a walking stick or cane as well so as to not ruin the image.  A downside to them is that there is no cross guard nor does it have a basket hilt so there isn't anything to protect your hand if someone does a manuever (I think that it is called a glissando, which is also a musical term) where someone uses their weapon to divert yours and in the process lets their weapon slide down yours to strike at your fingers.  That being said, they have had weapons that are disguised as harmless ordinary items for a loooooong time.  Since this is the modern age and we have a pretty good grasp of machining and engineering, he could even have a button that he could press that would release the blade from the sheath so that it could pass mundane examination...wouldn't pass an X-Ray machine (unless the sheath was made entirely of metal as well, which would raise suspicions.), but neither would an enchanted item.  For those, just hex the heck out of that nosy machine...

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 01:55:03 AM »
A swordcane with a 'don't notice me' veil usable often enough to get through occasional scanners is the easiest method.  You could presumably use thaumaturgy to create a longer lasting veil / illusion also, but you'd have to make it powerful enough to survive passing over thresholds.  It would also be a complex enough ritual I'd require it to be set up and cast in game.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 02:06:09 AM »
Heh...interesting thought.  If your player wanted this to be a huge item, make him take it as an Aspect, then when it really matters he could spend a Fate point to invoke it for effect (I don't know if that rule is in DFRPG or if it was introduced in Strands of Fate), the effect would of course be to conceal that it is a sword.

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 03:21:10 AM »
Sword cane
Keep it Simple Silly
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline Cavallo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 08:08:26 AM »
Thanks. Answer is simple and obvious. I'll go with it.