Author Topic: Items of power  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Shadow lion

• Lurker
  • Damn I love my duster.
    • View Profile
Items of power
« on: January 15, 2011, 05:00:55 PM »
I was thinking of allowing an Item of how like Harry's ring into one of my games, extra shifts can be added to it for back up but i want a minor consequence for it live the shifts added must be a value of +2 and get halved or something like extra mental stress, or the possibility of only using it for ritual or trig spells.

Any idea's on how i should approach this?
"When all else fails, just set you're Enemy on fire and roast some marshmallows"

"Life is like a taco, its good at first but you'll regret it latter"

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Items of power
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:06:01 PM »
First, I think that this was probably posted to the wrong board. I think you are looking for the regular DFRPG board.

Second, It seems to me that you might mean enchanted item when you say item of power.

Third, I am not sure exactly what you want this item to do. I suspect that it is intended to either provide extra power for evocation or extra complexity for thaumaturgy, but I am not sure. Please, explain.

Offline Shadow lion

• Lurker
  • Damn I love my duster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 09:27:36 PM »
Sorry i thought i was on the regular DFRPG

i would like the enchanted item to be able to contribute to magic related shift only, and only be allowed power from extra shifts from magic use.

EXP: Wolfman uses a fire spell on a ice fay and rolls a 2 and has a discipline of 3 and only called for a conviction of 3 (2+3 =  5-3 = 2)
so there would be 2 extra shifts, the fay dies for this example, he adds the extra to the ring 

latter on a nightmare from the nevernever and you use the ring to touch the sob, would there be consequence for such an item?

and am i going about this the wrong way, yes i have read the book cover to cover but i have never played a paper and pen game and haven't found a group or mentor to play with.
"When all else fails, just set you're Enemy on fire and roast some marshmallows"

"Life is like a taco, its good at first but you'll regret it latter"

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 12:00:43 AM »
I think that you are going about this the wrong way. There are two problems that I see:

1. As far as I know there are no rules for the charging of magic items. So your idea of adding overkill shifts to the ring probably won't work.

2. Using the ring for magical effects in general is probably too vague. Generally speaking, an enchanted item can only do something if a given rote or ritual would be able to do that thing.