Author Topic: DFRPG- Intro Session  (Read 2105 times)

Offline kertain

• Participant
    • View Profile
DFRPG- Intro Session
« on: December 06, 2010, 07:30:30 PM »
Hello guys/gals,
I have been wanting to get my gaming group to try the RPG for sometime and I finally have my chance to do a 2-3 game session short campaign.
A few of the players are a little cautious about new systems (been using GURPS) and I am new to the FATE system myself.

Since the system is pretty front heavy in character creation/city creation(which is great) I wanted to have pregen characters ready to go. The point of this session is to give them a taste and see if they like it, I don't want to spend a session on such a short game making characters for obvious reason.

So my question is: Anyone have any pre-gen charactes written up? Cities?

I searched the forums and most posts were a few months old, so I thought I would ask again. Also noticed awhile back there were some posts about convention games..this type of setup would be perfect.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,19731.0.html

Anyone have anything they could pass along? Or know where I could find something?

Thanks alot!

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: DFRPG- Intro Session
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
There is a setting for Baltimore in the "Your World" book, ready to go, with characters.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline kertain

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 07:45:32 PM »
Ok well I feel like a total 'tard now.

I hadn't gotten that far and missed it in the table of contents.

Thank you..that will work perfectly.
Total RTFM event

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 07:51:42 PM »
No problem! I'm still finding new things every time I re-read the rulebook. For instance, I knew that the Baltimore section was there, but I never bother to read through it for NPCs I could use for my own game. Turns out there were plenty of example NPCs which could easily be repurposed. And still might be.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline kertain

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 08:08:09 PM »
Yah no kidding, there is alot covered in that book.

I am going to use some of the pre-gens but take out some of their aspects or connections with each other. Give the players a few minutes to pick some of their own aspects or connections because that is a large part of the system.m ;D

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:32:55 PM »
While the Baltimore section of the core book is excellent, it isn't the only source for things like this. You would likely find it profitable to take a look at the Spare Character Concepts thread. It's jam-packed with excellent pregenerated characters. And if you'll permit a bit of self-promotion, there are also a number of pregenerated characters on the Generic NPCs thread.

Actually, you'd be well advised to read the entire resources board. There's a load of good stuff there.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 09:48:48 PM »
I also suggest the Play-by-Post part of the forum. While the games don't last forever, there are plenty of possible characters there. Many of those have been playtested and repaired as well, so you know they are pretty solid.

Oh, and my suggestion for your pre-made characters is simple: Have a good spread of these.
High Level Spellcaster (sorcerer, wizard, etc.)
True Believer
Were-form
Pure Mortal (make him a real badass, otherwise people tend to avoid using them)
Changeling

The other character concepts are more limited, and might not be best for new players. I mean, Feeding Dependency and Involuntary Human form can be a real pain, and when you just start out on a game, you might not want to face something like that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:53:46 PM by MijRai »
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline GrimSpider

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 03:46:52 AM »
For the one-shot I ran as a playtest/intro i wrote up a few feet in the water PCs and let them choose from the lot.  Maybe Ill post them here sometime.

Apprentice Wizard(Focused Practictioner)
Were-Bull
wielder of Item of Power(driving focused)
pure mortal Occult shopkeep with resources
pure mortal guns hitman
true believer nun
pure mortal catburgler

Offline ScottMcG

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 08:55:06 PM »
I strongly recommend, from personal experience, the pregens that Rick Neal put together for an intro session that he ran.

http://www.rickneal.ca/?p=703

I took the pregens, his light description of the scenario, and his description of Magical Winnipeg (specifically the convocation of the two waters part), and ended up with a really good intro session.

Offline Imp

• Conversationalist
  • Global Thermonuclear War
    • View Profile
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 09:28:43 PM »
**self-edit... wrong thread**
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:30:33 PM by Imp »
Imp's Corner

Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream-Lewis Carroll

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 01:37:55 AM »
I have been wanting to get my gaming group to try the RPG for sometime and I finally have my chance to do a 2-3 game session short campaign.
A few of the players are a little cautious about new systems (been using GURPS) and I am new to the FATE system myself.
Be sure to come back and let us know how it went.