Author Topic: MKULTRA and government warlocks  (Read 5704 times)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: MKULTRA and government warlocks
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 01:26:08 AM »
You could have this powerful Director in an immense circular office enclosed by an aquarium wall. The doors would be tricky though.

How about a platform that lowers and rises - say an elevator without walls?

Richard

Offline Malivotti

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 08:40:15 PM »
Random thought here about Wizards and tech, what if the Black Ops group has an entromancer on the payroll. Wizards then to blow things up but what if said entromancer was able to make a type of Hexing Ward? A Ward that fights back against the Wizards 'make it go boom' effect.

Heck I'd suspect that there could even be supernatural power like that, ever notice how some devices just start working better the closer they get to a tech?  :) 

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 08:50:20 PM »
Random thought here about Wizards and tech, what if the Black Ops group has an entromancer on the payroll. Wizards then to blow things up but what if said entromancer was able to make a type of Hexing Ward? A Ward that fights back against the Wizards 'make it go boom' effect.

Heck I'd suspect that there could even be supernatural power like that, ever notice how some devices just start working better the closer they get to a tech?  :) 

A simple magic circle was able to keep a GPS going during a Darkhallow, right?  I don't see why there couldn't be warded computer banks using the same idea.  The important thing is, if you want your Black Ops warlocks in the same facility, then you can have warded circles protecting the tech.  If it's not a big deal, the warlocks have burner cell phones that they assume will die off anyway and are located offsite with low-tech and supernatural security measures.  I prefer the former if the PCs are at a power level to where they can get into a large federal building like that, and the latter if they're lower-level and might need that isolation in order to have a chance against the bad guys' security.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »
A simple magic circle was able to keep a GPS going during a Darkhallow, right?  I don't see why there couldn't be warded computer banks using the same idea. 

We were discussing the same thing, to allow our mixed group party to operate a series of dummy terminals, but have the actual computers inside a warded circle to shield them from HEMPs (hexo-electro-magnetic pulse?). The problem was having something cross the circle. A GPS is self-powered (for awhile at least), but most PCs will require a steady power source that usually can't be contained within the circle (unless we start talking about generators).
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 09:35:28 PM »
I don't think there's an easy way around it, because if there was, the Council would be using it.  However, I think it works well enough for an organization that does need to have magic and computers in the same location, but seperated somewhat.  In a mixed party, yeah, I think any measure is either going to be stopgap at best or too unwieldy to move.  Like, say, I dunno, hooking up an old-school typewriter outside the warded server room or something.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 09:50:23 PM »
Once computer technology has evolved to allow power transduction (or whatever they call it when you pass power across open space using wave signals) in conjunction with wireless data transfer, a fully warded and powered computer bank might be possible, so long as the DresdenVerse magical physics do not count waves of pure energy to be enough to "break" a circle. I don't imagine that radio waves or cellular transmissions would constitute a threat, otherwise the GPS would have compromised the warding circle fairly quickly as it exchanged data bursts with the satellite.

They would go through keyboards and monitors fairly frequently around hex-emitting spellcasters, but power wouldn't be an issue.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 10:13:31 PM »
Hehe.  They've got state of the art server rooms and the terminals are all decades-old CRT monitors and clacky-clacky keyboards.

Offline Cyberchihuahua

• Conversationalist
  • Lft. WMC_Cyberchihuahua
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 03:33:06 AM »
To stay with the Bourne Identity theme, what if the caster was doing the mental whammy on himself? Just like transforming yourself isn't against the laws, manipulating your own mind shouldn't be, either. If the caster truly believes that what he is doing is right, there should be no damage, until...

He implants in a false personality that he lives under to infiltrate a particular organization, feeding info back to his home office. As the operation progresses, he comes to realize that the info he is retrieving has no other use than to embezzle money, or worse, may end up costing may innocent lives. This being against his nature causes his alter-ego to snap, and he goes rogue. Now he is on the run from the home office, and if he proves enough of a pain, his former handlers might even send word to the Wardens about a dangerous warlock...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 06:48:57 AM by Cyberchihuahua »
Moo!

DV Cyberchihuahua V1.2 YR5 FR4 BK++ RP++ JB- TH+ WG++ CL SW+ BC- MC---- SH [Murphy++]   currently...

No Changes, know peace! Know Changes, no peace!

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 06:01:37 AM »
Hehe.  They've got state of the art server rooms and the terminals are all decades-old CRT monitors and clacky-clacky keyboards.

Reminds me of some of Charles Stross's work. :)

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 07:27:56 AM »
About circles, Jim has commented about how its more intent than perfection that makes the circle. If, for instance the circle was made in a forest then technically there's all those twigs and such breaking the circle. I don't see why the same theory wouldn't apply to a cable trunk being an intentional part of the circle. Of course moving the cable trunk would break any circle it crossed. Makes accidentally breakage easier.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2010, 11:41:12 AM »
Redundant backups and a harried IT guy.  :)  That might make for both a way for the program's files to live on after the typically high explosive PC raid as well as give the PCs something of value to make off with.

I like the idea of the guy who whammies himself, that has a lot of PC potential to it I think.  And the compels are great - Black helicopters or random assassins showing up at any time!

Offline Malivotti

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2010, 02:59:10 PM »
Hmmm think about a White Court Vamp in Black Ops outfit. Mindbending, sexual assassins that can pull off moves straight from the Matrix.

All that's needed is for a government agency to find a White Court Virgin arrange a kidnapping then some training and you have self renewing resource.

For example let's say back in 50's Hoover's FBI in hunting for Communists find out about a certain family bloodline, the FBI is warned off when they go to arrest the White Court Vamps. Instead the MIBs watch and grab the family, Mom and Dad are disposed of but the kids are raised in best care the MIBs can give. (The news reports that the family died in tragic accident no bodies recovered from the plane crash)

After careful training the White Court Virgins are careful fed enemy agents to fully awaken them.

Fast forward...

The WCV agents are useful but there is not enough of them, enter a breeding program were the first generation is but out to stud (depending on your game adjust the 'ick' factor) and the babies of the first generation WCV are raised by the MIBs from the cradle as WCV agents.

Regards.

PS Yes I am a Delta Green/ConX veteran...  8)

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 07:51:57 AM »
See this makes me think of a great set up for a player crew instead of adversaries.  Imagining a black-ops sanctioned team composed of a sorcerer or two, you have room for some pure mortal or adjusted mortal overseers, and of course Malivotti's WCVs (love that idea), or whatever else you want and you wind up with a group that designed to go around the country handling problems.  Hell, maybe they have a combat chaplain from the Vatican who is there Lore expert, even.  Think Father Rourke from "The Warrior" on steroids.  Perhaps if they need planes or something for the gifted folks those people could sit in a special section of the plane warded by a closed circle?  The whole organization understands that the higher ups think that they're eccentrics so the reports are sanitized when they leave the team, thus making some of the vanilla authorities more okay with this odd crew that gets it done.

Of course the organization is vested in ensuring that their team does what they want them to do, including kill on command, so any sorcerer would also have to have Lawbreaker (1st), and probably at least the organization knows about the White Council and takes pains to stay out of their way.

As Harry says in one of the stories somewhere, if the government every became officially aware of the supernatural in a big way, things would get very ugly, very fast.  Well this here's the first step to getting ugly fast.  A whole organization of sanctioned government warlocks is going to drive even the liberals on the Council totally apeshit, especially if a branch of the Church (even an expat one) thinks these folks are okay...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 09:53:15 PM »
Some more ideas:

MIB types with a warehouse full of Items of Power. The agents themselves are pure mortals apart from their gear and Marked By Power (The Government).
Soldiers lost in battle against the supernatural are brought back as zombies and sent back to fight some more.
There's a secret government program to breed changelings through artificial insemination. The mothers are paid well, and most of them have no idea what the program is meant to create.
Summoned demons are being used as weapons of terror against foreign insurgents.
Some high-level guy has a burning desire to conquer the Nevernever, and he's sending soldiers to do it. The soldiers are going to have a lot of trouble rejoining society afterwards.
The entire US and Russian space programs were attempts to contact spacebound Outsiders. They succeeded a long time ago.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 10:49:59 PM »
Yes, yes, and more yes.  :)

Also, read this guy's PRIOR TENANT musings.  It's a nice extrapolation of Charles Stross' A Colder War.