Author Topic: Jim's Stuff on [website]  (Read 2595 times)

Tbora

Jim's Stuff on [website]
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:52:08 PM »
I just checked and apparently [website] has some of Jim's audiobooks on their website to listen too here is a link to it:

[link removed]

I saw this and I figured you guys might want to know about it, I am not sure if its worth pursuing them to get this taken down (if it takes more then an Email from Pris or Jim"s publishers) what with how prolific it is on some P2P sites, but I thought it was notable enough to let you guys know and let you decide how to handle this.

Edit: In the future, please use the Feedback form on Jim's site for matters like this.  I've sent an email to Jim's editor, who will pass it on to Penguin's Internet Enforcement crew.  --Priscilla
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:10:00 PM by Priscellie »

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Jim's Stuff on [website]
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 11:08:30 PM »
Good catch, Tbora. I'll alert people.

*edit* And I see 'Cellie is on the ball. P, good work as always.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:11:04 PM by Priscellie »
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 11:10:14 PM »
Already done, Shecky. :D

Thanks, Tbora!

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:11:11 PM »
Already done, Shecky. :D

Thanks, Tbora!

Feh. Electrons crossing on teh intarwebz. :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Tbora

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 11:24:20 PM »
Out of curiosity how do publishers (or at least Penguin) deal with P2P networks, as the majority seem just to laugh at you for sending them a cease and desist letter ?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 01:02:56 AM »
Out of curiosity how do publishers (or at least Penguin) deal with P2P networks, as the majority seem just to laugh at you for sending them a cease and desist letter ?

A nice, BIG lawsuit tends to put an end to the laughter.

Tbora

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 01:11:04 AM »
A nice, BIG lawsuit tends to put an end to the laughter.

I wish that was all it took, but it seems to me that they mostly blow off law suits too, hiding behind their own countries laws (as the majority are outside of the United States and are not subject to US Copyright Laws) and even if they do get sued in their own country they use mountains of paperwork to entangle the suit for several years on the more extreme examples, and when they finally do get shut down, they simply move their servers to a different country and set up shop there starting the whole rodeo over and over again. Just seems there is no way for Penguin or anyone else to put a stop to it imo, which is why I was wondering if their is an alternative action they can take that actually has a chance of success.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 01:21:38 AM »
I wish that was all it took, but it seems to me that they mostly blow off law suits too, hiding behind their own countries laws (as the majority are outside of the United States and are not subject to US Copyright Laws) and even if they do get sued in their own country they use mountains of paperwork to entangle the suit for several years on the more extreme examples, and when they finally do get shut down, they simply move their servers to a different country and set up shop there starting the whole rodeo over and over again. Just seems there is no way for Penguin or anyone else to put a stop to it imo, which is why I was wondering if their is an alternative action they can take that actually has a chance of success.

If they have anything at all supported or even slightly hosted in the US, that gets sucked right up. And I have no doubt there'd be some serious code-monkey counterstrokes.

Tbora

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 01:57:46 AM »
Thats part of the problem with P2P though, is the way they do it (as best as I understand it), the actual stuff that is being pirated is hosted on hundreds of computers world wide with that many owners. Naturally this means their are dozens of countries whose Copyright Law apply to them individually, and its impractical and for all intents in purposes impossible to stop it all technologically or legally. All the torrent sites do is keep track of what is where, being nothing more then directories that organize the chaos. If for example the Pirate Bay the Internets most popular torrent site gets taken down (which it will eventually) I have no doubt it will simply send the data to another organization who will maintain it.

Truth be told if they wanted to make it impossible to stop and strike a killing blow it could simply make the program which runs it Open Source, in which case ANYONE could take it and create clone sites. Before you know it their would be more torrent sites created then be shut down because the process of setting one up would be comparatively simple as all they would need to do is buy server space in a third world country with loose laws and upload the code to the server, buy a domain name, and presto instant site. Its a real mess and one I don't see getting solved anytime soon...

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 02:22:00 AM »
Thats part of the problem with P2P though, is the way they do it (as best as I understand it), the actual stuff that is being pirated is hosted on hundreds of computers world wide with that many owners. Naturally this means their are dozens of countries whose Copyright Law apply to them individually, and its impractical and for all intents in purposes impossible to stop it all technologically or legally. All the torrent sites do is keep track of what is where, being nothing more then directories that organize the chaos. If for example the Pirate Bay the Internets most popular torrent site gets taken down (which it will eventually) I have no doubt it will simply send the data to another organization who will maintain it.

Truth be told if they wanted to make it impossible to stop and strike a killing blow it could simply make the program which runs it Open Source, in which case ANYONE could take it and create clone sites. Before you know it their would be more torrent sites created then be shut down because the process of setting one up would be comparatively simple as all they would need to do is buy server space in a third world country with loose laws and upload the code to the server, buy a domain name, and presto instant site. Its a real mess and one I don't see getting solved anytime soon...

Answer: make one of your code monkeys insanely happy by telling him to go HACK THEM ALL. :D