Author Topic: Autumn Magic  (Read 2274 times)

Offline cgodfrey7

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Autumn Magic
« on: November 27, 2010, 07:05:54 PM »
I have a PC that wants to be a knight of a "fallen" court where he is trying to gather up the 4 treasures of the Sidhe (Tuatha de Danaan) to restore the Autumn Court to its former power.  Part of this is coming up with a set of magic similar to how Seelie Magic and Unseelie Magic are laid out in Sponsored Magic that may be used as an element for evocation.  Spell effects I was thinking could include:

Fairy Paths (travel between mortal realm and Never Never, or mortal realm to mortal realm through Never Never, or different areas in Never Never is easier for the Autumn Court)
Veils/Glamours/Illusions (easy to disguise your appearance, hide things from those without the Sight)
Weather (predicting, causing, changing)
Silver Tongue (charming ways that increase social standing or presence or ease of casting spells)

Not sure of a possible 5th one, and not totally sure of what I have listed so far.  Ideas, suggestions, alterations please?  Have others already come up with something like this and can share, or point me to a link of an existing post?  Thank you.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Autumn Magic
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 08:09:30 PM »
I'd include some stuff about death, decay, endings, and change. Autumn is when the summer ends and the leaves die. The harvest is brought in, and the world prepares for a long period of sleep through the winter.

My pet theory is that the Grim Reaper is associated with the Autumn Court.

Offline cephis

• Posty McPostington
  • For the ZaLord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 08:53:37 PM »
When I was hammering out my world, I kicked around having the Erlking be part of the Autumn court as that is when hunting and the horns point to celtic harvest Gods.  Puck was my spring court guy BTW
Still miss Bob DV Cephis V1.2YR4FR3BK++RP++JB+TH(+)WG+CLSWBC+MC SH[Elaine++Murphy+++Ivy+Molly++Marcone--- Bob---- Susan+(
(click to show/hide)
) Any male Ch-- Any female Ch+]FF+++MS+AND--

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 09:48:15 PM »
Info from my expertise in autumn-ness (read: I googled)

Autumn equinox is held on a day when the day is exactly as long as the night.  Thus (and for some unexplained reason, this doesn't apply to spring?) autumn is the season of balance, and balance is celebrated. The autumn festival also celebrate home, hearth, loyalty, equal exchange, and friendship based on equality/brotherhood.

Autumn is also about celebrating achievements, reaping the rewards of our harvests, ect. It is the time of fruition; a time when long-term plans first yield results that will carry one through.  

In norse mythology, the festival Disablot (sacrifice to the Disir, or Feast of the Disir) pays homage to minor female fertility deities associated with birthgiving, and protecting home and crops.  

In eastern cultures, the Moon Festival is celebrated at this time, which has many varying legends of an immortal couple, which give different explanations on why the moon is the brightest at this time of year.  Lots of good source material there to google.

Psychologically and literary, autumn is often associated with depression, wistfulness, loneliness, and yearning.

So... more than death or decay (which I think of as Winter's province) autumn is a time of balance and celebration where the joyous abandon of summer has become tempered by the knowledge of winter's approach, giving rise to a deeper appreciation for what we are given.

Now, how to turn that into magic? Er, i dunno.

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 03:17:26 AM »
winter has ice/chill, summer has fire. that leaves spirit, earth and wind. with the above it almosts seems like autumn magic could be a offshoot of spirit that has more of a tempered feel or flavor kind of like how kehmler necro's get death flavored spirit.

Offline cephis

• Posty McPostington
  • For the ZaLord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 03:19:16 AM »
winter has ice/chill, summer has fire. that leaves spirit, earth and wind. with the above it almosts seems like autumn magic could be a offshoot of spirit that has more of a tempered feel or flavor kind of like how kehmler necro's get death flavored spirit.
I would lean more to earth for fall and wind for spring
Still miss Bob DV Cephis V1.2YR4FR3BK++RP++JB+TH(+)WG+CLSWBC+MC SH[Elaine++Murphy+++Ivy+Molly++Marcone--- Bob---- Susan+(
(click to show/hide)
) Any male Ch-- Any female Ch+]FF+++MS+AND--

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 01:48:23 PM »
I would lean more to earth for fall and wind for spring

+1.  I like that, given the crappy "april showers bring may flowers" and the march lamb/lion thing, as well as fall's association with harvest and harvest/earthy colors.  Plus, Dresden's comment about earth magic being slower fits the idea of waiting for something to come to fruition.

Offline danthehut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »
For Spring, maybe some kind of weather control along with the wind. Able to call up storms, lightning etc. Like Storm from x-men.

Fall, I like the earth, decay/aging kind of magic. Maybe with a dash of cold in as well.

Offline Vryce

• Conversationalist
  • You suck. You suck diseased moose wang, Marcone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
I could see a lot of Autumn magic in protection, wards, prepping for a cold winter stuff like that.  Autumn to me(being from Alaska) was always about getting ready for winter.  It is when we would can jams, fill up the freezers, get the house and cars ready for the cold.

Read somewhere about Mabon being the Fall Festival it celebrates the 2nd harvesting.  Earth would be a good choice over all .  Thing a lot of thing from the “Fall” court would be strong, enduring, and ready for what comes next.

Just a thought
Prey is Prey.  The fact it is human, in this case, does not make it any more difficult.  Intellect, Like instinct can be anticipated, manipulated…