Author Topic: How to reach Dresden level health status  (Read 13371 times)

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
  • Wile E. Coyote. Suuuuper Genius
    • View Profile
    • Luke Green's Storefront
How to reach Dresden level health status
« on: November 23, 2010, 08:23:19 AM »
our group was facing the Dullahand, sort of the Fae version of the Grim Reaper, the inspiration for the Headless Horseman stories

As the group caster, I decided to cast a spell to set up the Fae in the center of an intense magnetic field as a definition for a weapon 8 Earth attack.

I ended up having to take a few consequences and spending some fate points to make to go off right, but the result was several cars, rebar, a hummer full of WWII era grenades and other assorted area debris slamming into him...

only to discover that he wasn't that easily killed

so, immediately afterward they decide we want to seal him away at least temporarily so we can book, so now I'm helping craft an iron ring and rushing through a binding ritual as the guy is coming back together, with help from the rest of the party (they volunteered to take some consequences for the ritual...adding their blood to the binding)

then I had to use earth magic to bury it deep enough that someone simply walking through the area wasn't going to break the circle.

finally, we learn that one of our number had been infected with balefire in the fight and thus the binding was going to last about half the time we thought it would since while binding him, it was also supercharging his healing

meanwhile, we had to cleanse the party member of balefire before it killed him

at the end of that, I had 8 consequences (I have a lot of mental resilience) and lots of dots filled up and the GM gave us all fate points for how many consequences we had, so I ended with 11 fate points, healing from the NPCs in the area get rid of some of the mild consequences...

and then we decided to contact the Archive about our Denarian related apocalypse situation and someone got the bright idea to open a portal directly to her, for which we needed a heavy load of power....

but first they want me to look at something in a museum with my sight and I find that a Winter veil has covered a Denarian curse around a display case that's supposed to hold the Papal ring coming soon, that cost some fate points to escape more consequences

queue the Dullahand I had sealed earlier and who was getting ready to escape...so we return to where he was bound and wait for just the moment that he escapes before he's free, but after his power is accessible....and drain him dry of power (at least temporarily) to open rifts in space through which the Archive and Kinkaid come

also at this time, I had to have the Sight up to time the spell correctly, so when the extra unintended rifts open up I get a nice eyeview right into some Nevernever underworld....on top of what was going on staring at the Dullahand

more rifts than we wanted open up and a horde of little gremlin thingies come swarming out and we cover for the archive as she cleans up our(my) sloppy spellcasting (at this point I'm operating with "gaping wounds" and "bleeding eyes and ears" physical consequences as well as a small handful of not yet recovered mental milds) I do a couple of simple spells including a "cloud of iron dust" to test to see if the enemy were fae (they weren't...I should probably apologize to the team half-orc at this point) and then the gremlin things smell the blood from my wounds and tons of them come swarming toward me...

At this point, I take a concession to electrocute everything within 10ft of me.

And I'm taken out...

I wake up later when my injuries are mostly gone somehow...something about the supernatural recovering Pharoah Reborn and a blood transfusion....which is how my character's idiot brother became said PCs vassal, so hoping the Pharoah character doesn't think about that....

And then I learn that my character's yakuza assassin family has decided to send a group inbound to "rescue" me from the Wardens....

who are vaguely suspicious (probably convinced) that I'm a warlock and only the greater issue of Denarians, Loki and Maeve plotting some sort of Doomsday thing is keeping them from running a full trial on me....
Thrythlind Stories and Games: http://Http://thryth.webs.com
Original Fiction: Bystander, Greenwater, Zodiacs, Choice and Consequences
Fan Fiction: Chi and Chakra, Divine Blood, others
Games: The Unnamed System, Lycan Life
Fan Art
Blog on Writing Technique and occasional rants

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: How to reach Dresden level health status
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 10:42:04 PM »

Can I play in your game? I'll bring the popcorn.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 02:02:05 AM »
Very nice. Very Dresden.

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 08:10:47 PM »
it is nicely epic
Fan Art

Offline azurefrog

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 11:31:42 PM »
at the end of that, I had 8 consequences (I have a lot of mental resilience) and lots of dots filled up and the GM gave us all fate points for how many consequences we had, so I ended with 11 fate points, healing from the NPCs in the area get rid of some of the mild consequences...
How in the world did you managed to get 8 consequences?

I can find 2 extra minor mental (only for resisting torture) from Resilient Self-Image
and 1 extra minor physical from No Pain, No Gain
plus the 3 you start with makes 6

How did you manage to make a character able to take such crippling amounts of punishment?

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 11:55:39 PM »
Having a big Endurance and Conviction should grab you an extra two minor when done within human range.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 12:33:07 AM »
3 minor (requires endurance 5 and conviction 5)
2 extra minor from stunt(s). A stunt giving +1 minor for all uses or +2 minor for limited uses is OK.
1 moderate
1 severe
1 extreme

That makes 8. Of course, the extreme will never heal.

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 01:01:29 PM »
there's a stunt in the book (Resilient Self Image) that gives 2 extra mild consequences for mental, plus Conviction 5 is another extra so

Four Mild Mentals
One Moderate Mental
One Severe Mental

One Mild Physical
One Moderate Physical
One Severe Physical

So the character, if stats are remembered right, had 9 possible consequences she could fill before getting to extreme

She was the ONLY character in the game that never took recovery or toughness powers
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 01:14:07 PM by Thrythlind »
Fan Art

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 02:31:16 PM »
there's a stunt in the book (Resilient Self Image) that gives 2 extra mild consequences for mental, plus Conviction 5 is another extra so

Four Mild Mentals
One Moderate Mental
One Severe Mental

One Mild Physical
One Moderate Physical
One Severe Physical

So the character, if stats are remembered right, had 9 possible consequences she could fill before getting to extreme

She was the ONLY character in the game that never took recovery or toughness powers

That's only for resisting torture.  Just so you know.  It doesn't apply to spellcasting.  If you're using a preorder PDF, I suggest buying a copy of the final release.

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 03:04:35 PM »
ahhhh....the campaign is over some months now, but yeah, we were using the pdfs and the texts, didn't think to check for a difference
Fan Art

Offline Khalis231

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 03:05:31 PM »

Four Mild Mentals
One Moderate Mental
One Severe Mental

One Mild Physical
One Moderate Physical
One Severe Physical

Also, you don't get a separate set of mild, moderate and severe consequences for your physical and mental stress tracks. You have one mild consequence, one moderate consequence, and one severe consequence, each of which can be filled with a physical, mental, or social consequence. Thus, if you use your mild consequence slot on a mental consequence from casting, you don't have that slot available when you're hit with a physical attack, and would need to use a moderate or severe consequence to soak it. The first time I read the rules, I thought each stress track had a separate list of consequences, but this is not the case.

So with Conviction 5 and a stunt that adds a mild mental consequence (Resilient Self-Image applies only to torture, as InFerrum mentioned), your list of consequences would look like this:

Two Mild Mental Consequences
One Mild Consequence
One Moderate Consequence
One Severe Consequence

For a total of five consequences.

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 03:07:11 PM »
in other words the whole campaign was doing it the wrong way, ahhh

and I thought I was doing good to tell the other players "No" as regards to picking up recovery and toughness

but, at least everybody was doing it wrong the same way
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 03:10:40 PM by Thrythlind »
Fan Art

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 03:12:44 PM »
Also, you don't get a separate set of mild, moderate and severe consequences for your physical and mental stress tracks. You have one mild consequence, one moderate consequence, and one severe consequence, each of which can be filled with a physical, mental, or social consequence. Thus, if you use your mild consequence slot on a mental consequence from casting, you don't have that slot available when you're hit with a physical attack, and would need to use a moderate or severe consequence to soak it. The first time I read the rules, I thought each stress track had a separate list of consequences, but this is not the case.

So with Conviction 5 and a stunt that adds a mild mental consequence (Resilient Self-Image applies only to torture, as InFerrum mentioned), your list of consequences would look like this:

Two Mild Mental Consequences
One Mild Consequence
One Moderate Consequence
One Severe Consequence

For a total of five consequences.

Uhhh...

This is not correct.

Each stress track /does/ have an exclusive consequence set.

It makes no sense to take "broken ribs" as a consequence to social conflict.

Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 03:36:29 PM »
Uhhh...

This is not correct.

Each stress track /does/ have an exclusive consequence set.

It makes no sense to take "broken ribs" as a consequence to social conflict.
Khalis is correct, there's only one consequence list without stunts.  That doesn't mean you take "broken ribs" in a social conflict.  It means once you've take "Ashamed to Show My Face in Public" as your moderate consequence from a social combat you don't have a moderate consequence to take in physical combat.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 03:48:35 PM »
Khalis is correct, there's only one consequence list without stunts.  That doesn't mean you take "broken ribs" in a social conflict.  It means once you've take "Ashamed to Show My Face in Public" as your moderate consequence from a social combat you don't have a moderate consequence to take in physical combat.

That doesn't make any sense to me.  At all.

It's also not how any of the PbP games are played that I am aware of.

I won't be changing my game unless Fred himself says something about this.  It doesn't seem right to me.

If the consequence list is really that short, not only are all characters much less powerful, but it makes the stunts giving an extra consequence FAR more powerful.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.