Author Topic: WoJ transcription help needed + mention new WoJ's here  (Read 139875 times)

Offline Striker83

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: WoJ transcription help needed + mention new WoJ's here
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2011, 09:05:57 PM »
Serack, just found this, Ghost Story Q&A Atlanta. The audio is low.

The link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9lp97YV_-w

San Diego Comic Con 2011:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dh9R_VtWRI
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:04:29 AM by Striker83 »

Offline Lubi

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2011, 01:09:58 AM »
He said we're going to see Sue again. Woo! (like in the middle of part 5 of that)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2011, 12:42:49 PM »
By the way guys, I probably won't be doing video's 1 or 3 of the chicago/naperville signing unless we get a few weeks from now and nobody else has taken it up.

I won't be transferring any signing transcripts to the WoJ section until an entire signing is transcribed so that they are together.

Also, I'm linking this here for easy reference later, sapph is posting transcripts of the Atlanta signing here
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2011, 02:53:36 AM »
Serack, I can take a stab at transcribing some of the DC signing videos over the weekend, if you'd like.
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline Saiohas

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2011, 03:22:29 AM »
I can work on the New York vids over the next couple of days/weekend as I'll have some spare time on my hands.

Offline Striker83

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2011, 04:47:55 AM »
Interview with Jim Butcher for the television series Fast Forward: Contemporary Science Fiction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxu5OzcZWLE

Offline WhoWalksBehind

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2011, 12:49:44 PM »
WOW I absolutely love these books. Pure awesomeness!  ;D I do have a question:

(click to show/hide)

This is my first ever post!! I didn't even know that there was a place I could go to talk about these awesome books! All hail google!

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2011, 03:46:28 PM »
Serack, I can take a stab at transcribing some of the DC signing videos over the weekend, if you'd like.

Speak with Toe-mas, he seems to be pretty excited about doing them (he is the one that put them on youtube), but once he has started slogging through it some assistance might be greatly appreciated.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2011, 03:49:15 PM »
Speak with Toe-mas, he seems to be pretty excited about doing them (he is the one that put them on youtube), but once he has started slogging through it some assistance might be greatly appreciated.

Sure, will do.  Also, if there are any other videos/audios that come up over the next few days, I'd be happy to help out with them--not guaranteeing that I can get them all, or even a sizeable portion of any that come up, but I can at least help out.
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2011, 04:15:38 PM »
WOW I absolutely love these books. Pure awesomeness!  ;D I do have a question:

(click to show/hide)

Jim has said that we will find out more about demonreach in book 14

This is my first ever post!! I didn't even know that there was a place I could go to talk about these awesome books! All hail google!

Edit: whoops internet was acting squirly and I didn't type up what I ment too.

Welcome to the forum!  We expect to find out more about Demonreach in the next book, although we don't have a lot of spacifics as to what we will learn.

Take a look at the compilation of things that Jim Butcher has said about the series linked in my signature.  It is due for a major update now that we have all this new material from the Ghost Story release though.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:26:51 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline mstorer3772

• Conversationalist
  • Nerdier than thou... oh wait. I'm HERE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2011, 09:13:50 PM »
Q: What's the first sentence of Cold Days?
A: Mab has some unusual ideas about physical therapy.  (IIRC, could be paraphrasing a bit)

The goddess of pain and murder wants to staple you back together again after you lipped off to her.  A lot.

Ow!  Ow!   Owowowowowow!!!
Get off my lawn.

DV 1.2 YR 8 FM <1 BK++ RP++ JB TH+ WG++ CL--- SW BC++ MC+ SH [Murphy++ Molly- Gerd++ Lea+ Lash++]

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2011, 04:48:32 PM »
Fast Forward, Contemporary Science Fiction interview

Tom Schaad:  And we're here with Jim Butcher, author of Ghost Story.  Jim Welcome to the show.

Jim:  Thank you very much.

Tom Schaad:  It's been a long time waiting to get you on the east coast to where we could snag you away from a book tour and talk to you about this series.  How many times have you done this kind of a big tour like you're just completing? 

Jim:  I started it the same year that Proven Guilty came out, which was in 2008 I think.  So this is tour number four. 

Tom Schaad:  Have you noticed any change, in the rhythm of the tour, in the response of your readers in that time?

Jim:  Well the readers are always great, weather you are at a small convention, or at a big book store somewhere, they are always fun guys, but I noticed that my wrist is getting more sore, so I suppose I am signing a few more books.

Tom Schaad:  That's not a bad thing for an author to say.

Jim:  Oh, that's an awesome problem.  I like having that problem.

Tom Schaad:  Now lets talk about this book.  The thirteenth novel in the chronicles of Harry Dresden.  Now there were a lot of people who you disagree with because they call the ending of your last book, Changes, as a cliffhanger.  And I don't know why they would think that having the protagonist shot and falling off a boat and going into the water a cliffhanger of any kind.

Jim:  Yah, well technically speaking, a cliffhanger is when there is something in progress and you don't know what is going to happen.  Changes was a book that was all about Harry going out to rescue his daughter, even if it kills him, and it does.  The End.  That didn't seem to be cliffhangery to me, but I sometimes forget that everybody else doesn't know the whole rest of the story to the end of the series. 

Tom Schaad:  Actually, Ghost Story, although it has it's own little arc and everything like that, is really as much about change as anything that happened in the previous novel.  I mean a lot of changes are going on.  A lot of things are happening.  There is this seismic shock wave traveling through the Harry Dresden universe right now and things haven't even close to settled down so that people can look around and figure out what the landscape is like now.  And I wanted to talk about one aspect of this that seemed to show itself in terms of the scheduling of the publication of this novel.  This one came out a little later than it was originally planned to come out.

Jim:  Indeed, about a three month delay.

Tom Schaad:  And in the opening statement of the book, you talk about that a little bit.  You thank a lot of the people you work with on a regular basis, and the people that you live with on a continual basis for their patience and forbearance while you finally finish this book.  What was it about this particular novel that required you to take more time to get to the point where you were satisfied?

Jim:  There were several contributing factors.  One of which was that my son had gone off to college, so that's a major kind of re balancing thing in your life when you know there's not this small person that you're supposed to be dad to anymore. 

Tom Schaad:  But congratulations on that.

Jim:  Oh, well thank you very much.  As the series gains success there's been more and more obligations that I need to meet as an author, which take more and more of my time.  And then for another, this was a really different book.  Instead of Dresden kicking down the door and solving problems that way, he had to do everything indirectly.  He had to accomplish all his goals by being able to talk to people.  And that was a very different set of solutions and I wasn't very used to working with that.  I'm much more comfortable with kicking down the door and blowing something up. 

Tom Schaad:  Well you can have him walk through the doors, you do several times (Jim:  That's true, that's true) because he is a ghost. 

Jim:  Yah that was a whole lot of fun.  At the beginning of the series, I knew that I wanted to kill my protagonist and have him solve his own murder in book thirteen.  If I ever got to book thirteen, that was the plan. 

Tom Schaad:  It's a really fun book to read, and I really did enjoy it.  You cost me about twenty four hours of my life, thank you very much. (Jim:  You're welcome)  But there were some things I found in this book as a recurring theme.  It's been in some of the other stories you have written about Harry Dresden, some of the things I found were basically explicitly discussed and examined.  And one of them is the impact and the reality of unintended consequences, and for Harry, because his actions are so huge and gigantic, and have such a big impact... well we can talk about Changes because it's already been out for over a year, I mean the absolute destruction of the Red Court of vampires leaving this huge power vacuum that has to be filled by something, is just a part of what he has to deal with and try to address in this novel.  Is that one of the things you have been working up to in terms of specifically examining it?  Is it something that you feel you talked about a number of times in these books? 

Jim:  Yah I have talked about it a number of times, how the consequences of ones' choices will come back to haunt you, good or bad.  No matter what you do, you can't escape the consequences of what you've chosen to do.  And for Harry, it's a little more dramatic, because he's basically a super hero, but in some of this he has to face up to the consequences of what he's done.  And in the last book at some point, he was facing this horrible situation and he had his daughter he was going to rescue and people would say, if you do this, it's going to cause all this harm, it's going to set the world on fire, and he said, "Let the world burn, me and the kid will roast marshmallows."  You know, that was his attitude going in.  But he gets to find out later that he is getting faced with the reality of that choice, and real people are getting hurt because of it.  And that is something that is going to effect him very deeply for the rest of the series. 

Tom Schaad:  And it is interesting, Harry's character does tend to have tunnel vision.  Occasionally it is because of combat and a lack of oxygen to the brain, but often (Jim chuckles) it's just his own personal way of viewing the world, he's very linear, which a lot of people comment on this novel.  That you're so linear, weather it's the fae or the others, this linear thing you've got going is really limiting you. 

Jim:  Yah, Harry is all about straight lines. 

Tom Schaad:  Usually with flames traveling along them in many instances. 

Jim:  Indeed, well I think that's in some measure it reflects part of the mindset of somebody who has to deal with life or death situations.  If you're a salesman and you're negotiating a sale, or if you're a politician and you're negotiating a bill, compromise is something you expect and something that you aim for.  So it's alright to get there sort of eventually by a circuitous rout.  For Dresden, the things he deals with, if he doesn't take care of them, somebody's going to die.  And there's just no compromise when it's life and death, you only have one or the other.  And that's sort of where he's been. 

Tom Schaad:  And in many cases, you've put him in situations, well or the universe that you've created has put him in situations, where there's not time to seek compromise.  You know, it's gonna happen now, make up you're mind, lets get down to it, let's do it.  (Jim:  Right)  You really do kind of hit the accelerator, usually about five paragraphs in, if we aren't already blowing something up in the first paragraph in a lot of your stories.  You obviously enjoy writing this style, and you obviously have a talent for it because you appeal to so many readers in terms of this mixture of the supernatural and the detective noir.  I mean Harry is, one of the things that everybody loves about Harry is he is such an unreconstituted smart ass.  (Jim:  chuckles  Yah, not that I'm like that or anything, but yah)  And I'm sure this is the kind of thing that would get you kicked out of high school in a New York minute, is just reflexively responding with a shot back.  I mean it's almost like watching somebody play verbal tennis sometimes.  You know, he's either bleeding on the floor and he's still cracking wise, I mean people dream about being able to do that. 

Jim:  That was one of the private I. traits that I sort of borrowed when I put Dresden together.  He's sort of a Frankenstein of classical and more recent wizards and the very successful, hard boiled PI's, and one of the things that I always admired about the PI's was their ability to say the worst thing possible, at the worst time possible, to the worst person possible, every time.  And that's one of the really fun things I get to do with that character. 

Tom Schaad:  Now we're thirteen novels, a collection of short stories, a number of other novels that you've written in the codex, and three novels that you started out as you were learning how to write and developing your skill as a writer that still have not been published-

Jim:  And won't be.  I wouldn't have made Osama bin Laden read those novels.  They were awful at first. 

Tom Schaad:  But let's talk about you as a writer.  From the time that the first Harry Dresden novel was accepted and published, to now, has anything changed, have you seen any changes in yourself and the creative process that you use and the tools that you've developed that has changed as you continue to write and continue to create and expand this rather complicated world that you've built. 

Jim:  Well it is a big complicated world, but as long as you can try to build it on the same principles of logic, you can add new stuff to it, or you remember how the old stuff works much easier than you could if it was a "real" world.  Where a lot of times, things just don't make sense.  As far as my writing process goes, that's stayed pretty much the same.  I do most of my writing at night and I'll start around 10 or 11 oclock and writ until 5 or 6 in the morning.  Well that's the only time that's quiet.  There's never going to be anybody that's going to call me or interrupt me with anything.  Plus it works out well because my wife writes as well, but the process is, I'll write a chapter, I'll send it off to a group of beta readers, with my goal being to make them scream for ending the chapter at that point, and why isn't the next chapter written.  Which I think has been an unintended consequence of my process that has helped the books be very successful is that I try and make sure that it's hard to stop reading at the end of a chapter and (Tom Schaad:  Oh you succeed at that far too well) then you stay up all night, and enjoy the book.  I really like that. 

Tom Schaad:  I want to talk about one of the other themes.  They are my obsessions, not anybody else's.  There is a rather long discussion as to what constitutes free will as an element in the back end of this book.  Is what is presented and discussed as a concept, your own philosophy?  How did that come about, the idea that free will is making your choices based upon truth.

Jim:  Right, and in the Dresden Files universe it's a vital component.  It's what devides mortals, human beings, from everybody else.  Is that we're the ones that have elements of both good and evil inside us, we're the ones who get to chose what to do.  And because that's who we are, we make the world around us through those choices.  The forces of the universe, these cosmic forces are always ballanced against one another, and we're the ones who can tilt that see-saw one way or another with our actions.  I think that is largely true in real life, but it is certainly a very fun, dramatic use of the concept of free will for writing with.  It's very important in general, and that's why Harry, as he's gotten more mature, he's striven so much harder to make sure that other people have a choice, you know, he's not trying to make choices for people any more, he's trying to make sure that they know what's going on, and can make an informed choice.

Tom Schaad:  I think that we forget, because we've had so many of these books that we have been able to read and we have been able follow along in all these adventures, how compressed the time line is really in terms of what's happened in the first thirteen novels.  I mean, half the time Harry hasn't been able to complete the healing process before he's tossed in the cauldron again.  And as a wizard, you talk a lot in the books about how old the fae are, and how old the vampires are, and how old many of the members of the White Council are because wizards are extremely long lived.  And yet Harry's still a young pup compared to most of these people, he's just been played around like a ping pong ball for the last five, eight, ten years?

Jim:  Yah, a ping pong ball filled with nitroglycerin. 

Tom Schaad:  Yah, nitroglycerin is a good attitude, and quite honestly it does as much damage to the ping pong ball as it does to everybody else. (Jim:  Indeed, exactly)  Harry is one banged up dude!  But because he is in this situation, you get a chance to revisit some acquaintances he's made in some of the previous books.  I'm thinking of several characters.  A necromancer, Morty, another character that has slowly grown, Butters, who works in the morgue, and actually is the one that does most of the autopsies on supernatural beings because he's the only one who admits that that's what they are.  And he see's them because he can't interact with them because he can't be the driving force in the physical action that takes place He see's them in an entirely new light.  Was that fun to kind of grow these guy's out and show them differently? 

Jim:  It was very fun, and very difficult, which is another reason that the book stretched out so long.  I had to face all these problems, and that's what the people who left Chicago when he died had to do as well.  They had to suddenly address these problems as well, they had to suddenly address these problems that are happening.  You know, Harry had no idea how long a shadow he cast when he was alive, and how many things avoided the city because everybody knew that you know that crazy guy Harry Dresden lived there.  And now that he's gone, everyone else had to kind of try and step into his shoes and he has really big shoes.

Tom Schaad:  But as we see as we go through the book, some of them are going a really good job, I mean considering what their own natural gifts are, and everything else like that, they are really... weather it's following his example or weather it's just basically not having him to take the load and them taking the load and realizing how strong they were.  A lot of them are doing an incredible job in an incredibly difficult situation.  Physically and emotionally. 

Jim:  And they are able to do it because they kind of have an idea what's out there and of how to approach going up against it.  They know their own limitations, and they know the things out there aren't invulnerable either, and that's stuff that they learned from Dresden.  I mean, this entire book, all the folks that are still running around Chicago, their running around still trying to defend the City, because Harry was an example of how to do it.  I think in the series, one of the things that I hadn't actually planned out which has come forward is that the main facet of Dresden's character is not that he's personally tough, or personally a good wise ass, but that he is able to empower the people around him to become something more than they were.  And as he does that suddenly he finds himself standing with these allies who are very, very capable.  In part because he's shown them how to be so. 

Tom Schaad:  This was the thirteenth novel, and this was a tough slog for you.  Of course everybody is already asking you about the next book.  It's what we do, it's part of the dynamic.  (Jim:  Oh they read so much faster than I write!)  Now these too books, Changes, and Ghost Story go together very tightly.  They are very tightly connected as part of a process.  Is that process, are you finished with this, are you now moving on to another series of set pieces, or is this only, where are we going now.  Where do you want to go with the story of Harry?

Jim:  Well the next story is called Cold Days.  And I don't want to leave any spoilers, but for those who've already read the book, they will have an idea of why it's called Cold Days.  And I really think of Changes, Ghost Story, and Cold Days as kind of a three piece set.  Where Harry is pulled out of all of his usual haunts, all of his usual routine (Tom Schaad:  Well you've blown most of them up)  Well yes I did, a bunch of them blew up.  It's what I do.  The great part about being a writer, as opposed to a film maker is I can blow up Chicago or not blow up Chicago, it costs me just as much.  In any case, I think the third book will be something that is very interesting.  It will be a lot of fun.  I'm anticipating it gleefully now which is very good because a few months ago I couldn't stand this guy, I was sick of him.  But we will get to Cold Days, and we will have a good time. 

Tom Schaad:  And with that we will have to end this interview because we have run out of time but what a great place to stop.

Jim:  Thank you very much.

Tom Schaad:  Jim thanks for stopping by, thank you very much for Ghost Story, and we will look forward to many more years to come of you not getting sick of Harry Dresden. 

Jim:  As long as I can take some time away, and work on something else.  Which I have been doing the past couple of months, it's much more fun to go back to Dresden's world.  It's kind of hard to do it back to back. 

Tom Schaad:  Thank you again

Jim:  Well you're welcome.

Tom Schaad:  Well that's it for this addition of Fast Forward.  We hope you found something of interest, we hope you come see us again, and until then this is Tom Schaad saying, Take Care.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »
Ok, I have updated the OP with a rough summary of what has already been transcribed, what has already been claimed for transcription, and what needs transcribing.

I'm holding off a little on updating the compilation in the hopes that more of these get transcribed within the next week or so, since it's easier to lift pertinant WoJ's that are already transcribed rather than transcribing them piecemeal (which is what I did when building the thing).

I might do an intermediate update to the compilation with what's already transcribed instead.

Edit:  There was a lot of transcribing going during and immediately after the GS signing tour, and most of it wasn't posted in this topic.  I think I might have accounted for all of it in this update to the OP, but if you know of some that I missed, please post it here so that I can include it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:00:10 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline dagaetch

• Participant
    • View Profile
Ghost Story blerb with Jim produced by his Publisher
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2011, 04:21:26 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=undi3heIKYw
Transcription by dagaetch

Dresden returns to Chicago as a disembodied spirit and has to solve his own murder. After all, I mean Harry's done business in Chicago for a long time and, y'know, part of the problem is that theres an awful lot of ghosts floating around that town that he put there. So some of that is gonna come back to haunt him, so to speak. It's been a very fun story, we're going to have a good time with this one.

working on the Gamer's Haven interview now.
If the building's on fire, it probably is my fault.

Quote from: AcornArmy
We are now debating the possible alternate-universe implications of a frozen turkey in freefall. I can't decide if I love the forum for this, or if we all need serious, immediate therapy of some kind.

Offline dagaetch

• Participant
    • View Profile
Gamer's Haven interview(audio)
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2011, 08:07:37 PM »
Gamer's Haven interview(audio)
transcription by dagaetch

Well this is Ethan with the Gamer’s Haven podcast, and I have the pleasure to have on the line someone I’ve been trying to get on the show for about a year and a half, I have Mr. Jim Butcher. How are you doing today Jim?
Good, I’m doing good.

For those of you who have been living under a rock for the last 10 or 15 years and haven’t heard, one of Jim’s various works is the Dresden Files books. He has a new book coming out, is it July 26th?
Yes.

And that is, gosh, I’ve lost count of how many…
This will be book 13 of the Dresden Files.

How appropriate.
Yeah, I thought so.

It’s Ghost Story, and also Jim is known for having written the Codex Alera series as well.
Yes.

Want to thank you for being on the show today, know you have a busy schedule obviously since you churn out books every week it seems.
Apparently, yeah.

So I just want to thank you for being on the show.
Oh sure.

Well to start off, as Gamer’s Haven is predominantly a gaming podcast, I was wanting to get just a little about your gaming background. As I understand it, you’ve done a lot of LARPing, but have you done the tabletop stuff?
Oh, of course. I picked up D&D when it came in that red box, when I was in first grade, so, yeah, and since then, D&D, Warhammer fantasy roleplay was the next game I really started picking up, and it’s still my favorite system; but I’ve also played Cthulhu and GURPS and Chill and a million different systems.

Obviously gaming has a lot to do with not only Codex Alera but Dresden Files, I mean there’s a lot of common elements in there. There is a Dresden Files RPG that I believe won the Origins award this year.
Yeah, it did, they were really excited about it too.

And it’s up for an ENnie at GenCon this year as well.
I believe so.

And that’s all done by the Evil Hat guys, Fred Hicks and…
Yea, I can’t take credit for any of that. They did a mile and a half of work on the system, they really threw themselves heart and soul into it, and it really shows in their production.

Definitely one thing that they captured with the RPG that you do well with the books is the voice of Dresden, it’s really prevalent in there, it makes it feel like it fits with the universe you’ve created inside your books.
Oh yeah, they’ve researched the books, they probably know the Dresden Files better than I do at this point, so…

Speaking of the Dresden Files, how did gaming sort of influence your creativity in creating the Dresden Files and Codex Alera?
Probably mostly by hanging around with gamers. Gamers tend to be the more intelligent, creative people around, otherwise they wouldn’t be so bored with this world that they need to make up imaginary ones to go play in. That’s really all I do. The way I think of the Dresden Files books, they’re kind of a game that I GM in my head with myself, and I write down everything that happens, and that’s my job.

Speaking as a lifetime gamer, reading the Dresden books, and I’m a recent convert, it was in the reading pile for many years and then I discovered the audio books they put out of them and devoured those. I can definitely tell, as a guy who’s familiar with D&D and the world of darkness, that it really feels, it’s hard to put, Dresden makes a lot of decisions that gamers would make in that situation.
Yeah, Dresden as a wizard, I know a lot of times wizardly characters come off kind of shaman-y, with some deeply spiritual connection to this quasi-sentient sort of magic that does things on its own. That wasn’t the kind of wizard I wanted Dresden to be. I kind of wanted him to be a wizard who was more like a plumber, you know, “There are certain rules, this is the way things work, and it’s this kind of energy and he knows how to work with it.” It’s kind of what his trade is, so he tries to base his decisions as much as possible on reasonable commonsense. So yeah, he does have many of the solutions that gamers have.

Quick question that some gamers probably want to know is, have you ever played Dresden in a game?
Oh no! No, I haven’t even played the Dresden Files RPG, are you kidding? There’s just no way! If I’m the player in that game, what GM is going to be able to reasonably overrule me? “Yes it is this way in the game, and if necessary, I’ll write it that way in the next book!” I would be the worst power gaming twink player, and as a GM, it’s too much like work. So, you know, all these other people are just enjoying the hell out of the game and I’m ripping stuff off from it left and right for kind of a steampunk game that I run at home. I’m not the guy who can enjoy it, but I do very much enjoy seeing other people get to play in that world and have a good time.

Of course, this all sort of leads up to the new Dresden book, Ghost Story is coming out July 26th, it’s the big thing right now, and it’s as you said book 13. For our listeners, what can you tell us about the next installment and why we should be excited about it?
Well the conclusion of book 12, Dresden got shot and fell into Lake Michigan, and started moving down a tunnel towards the light. Everybody was just furious at me that I would end the book on a cliffhanger like that, to which I can only reply, that technically is not a cliffhanger, it’s the conclusion to that story. Dresden set out to rescue his daughter even if it killed him, and it did, the end. The next book though, is, being Harry Dresden nothing comes easy not even dying. That’s one of my rules for the universe, for Dresden nothing comes easy. In this book he’s actually wound up in the afterlife and sent back to Earth to solve his own murder before he can move on to whatever comes next. Unfortunately, his bodies not available and he gets sent back as a spirit, so he basically has to follow all the rules that ghosts do. So Dresden gets to be a ghost in his own town, trying to solve his own murder, without any of his magic and there’s hardly anyone who can see or even hear him, much less help him out, so he has a tough road to walk. No big surprise there.

When you first started developing the Dresden books many years ago, how did you start setting rules for that universe? Did you just iron them out all ahead of time, or did you come up with it as you went along?
I got it ironed out pretty well ahead of time. The first thing I did was, first of all I had to decide on what kind of magic I wanted, and as I said I didn’t want that kind of quasi-sentient magic, or the overly magic-magic where if you move your wand just like this and say the words exactly right, then something happens. I didn’t want pop machine magic, where you put a couple orders in and something comes out. I wanted magic to actually resemble real life energy, so as my model I actually took a lot of Newtonian physics to use for my explanations of magic. So energy cannot be created or destroyed, for an action there’s an equal and opposite reaction, that’s the kind of stuff I wanted to keep. After that, I said okay that’s the base I’m coming from, now I’m going to go out and look at what do people actually believe about magic? People who actually incorporate this into their religion, their belief system, and I went and read a ton of books. It was sort of from all of that, and then kind of coming from the physics based model, and stuff that I thought would be dramatic and cool, that’s what I started putting together so that I could understand how things would work in the story world.

In developing the Dresden world, sort of steering this back to the gaming aspect of it, did you find there was any sort of, you’ve done your share, you mentioned you have sort of a steampunk world that you roleplay in. In developing the Dresden world and other worlds, have you learned anything or do you have any great advice for people who want to build worlds, not just for literature but for their home campaign?
As far as other writers go, I recommend that they run campaigns in their story world, because it doesn’t matter how much you prepare for a campaign, the players will not go the way that you expect them to go, because players just don’t do that, they’re not capable. What that means is they’ll wander off in some completely random direction that you had no intention for them to go there, and you’ll be frantically building the world about two steps in front of them, which I think is fantastic exercise for the imagination. As far as gamers go, the really key thing to remember is, stimulus response, when something happens it causes a response. When the players do something, it’s gotta change the world and the way people around them see them and act and behave. If the players have the sense that the things that they do matter, because when they take an action there’s a response that comes back from the story world for it, then that creates a much greater sense of reality then if they don’t. If Dresden goes out and winds up starting a war with vampires, all kinds of consequences have to come blowing back from that directly on his head. He started the war with the Red Court in book three, and nine books later, it culminates in them taking his daughter and having a showdown with all of them.

With Dresden, we’ve actually managed to see it now adapted into several different mediums. There’s obviously the novels and the short stories that you do, but there’s also comic books, the role playing game, and there was the TV series. As the creator and as the writer, I’m always curious as to how that process looks like and is from your end of things.
*laughs* From this end? Well, we’ll start with the audio books. I got a call from my agent one day who said “Hey, I’m talking with people who might want to do and audio book deal.” And I said “Yay!” And then the agent calls me back and says “They want to get James Marsters to read the book for you,” and I said “yay!” and that was my process, that was about as involved with it as I was. TV, more or less the same thing, I was contacted by, uh, Morgan Gendel was the first person to show an interest in it and so he picked up the property and pitched it and sold it, and then the studio handed it off to Robert Wolfe who actually did all the work in the field to get the show going. I was invited to read the script for the pilot episode, which was a two hour episode and it was fairly close to the plot of Storm Front, which I thought was really nifty. Later it got chopped down from a two hour pilot movie to a one hour episode of the series, which had to dispense with several characters and so on, and it really was kind of a choppy, weird looking episode because of it. But Robert sent me the script, I got invited to come up and visit the set, I did do a cameo appearance in one of the episodes where I’m one of Butters’s minions in the background, and that was kind of neat. It was really amazing seeing how many people it takes to put a show like that together. There’s literally like a small army of people working on the thing. But it was neat to go visit them, and I thought they were doing an increasingly good job as the season went on, of putting a show together , and it would have been interesting to see where they would have taken it if it had gone on longer. But it was not to be, and that’s okay. I like to think that even though it got canceled after the one season, it got cancelled before they could do anything completely squirrelly with it, so that cup is half full!

That’s a good way to look at it. You mentioned a little bit about, in the tv series it evolving; are you surprised at how Dresden, and the Dresden universe, has evolved over 13 books and a tv series and a role playing game and all of that?
Are you kidding?! I’m shocked! No, I mean, I gotta tell you, it was easier writing the books when I was just writing my dumb little wizard books that nobody really cared about. Now, there’s a huge fan following, and as you said it’s become this giant thing. Yeah, completely shocked. I did not think…I started writing the first book just to prove to my writing teacher how wrong she was about what good books were like. From that has grown this huge series now, and I’m kinda floored. I’m really happy, don’t get me wrong, but I just kinda shake my head over it once in a while and think to myself, “well, worse things could happen.” So…
If the building's on fire, it probably is my fault.

Quote from: AcornArmy
We are now debating the possible alternate-universe implications of a frozen turkey in freefall. I can't decide if I love the forum for this, or if we all need serious, immediate therapy of some kind.