Author Topic: The Blackstaff  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
The Blackstaff
« on: November 20, 2010, 02:06:45 AM »
Here's how I'd make the Blackstaff;

[-3] The Blackstaff
       It is what it is: a weapon 2 staff
       Indestructible
       Hidden Agenda: see below
       One-time discount: worked into the cost
       Sponsored Magic: Dark Pact
       The blackstaff is the physical manifestation of some nameless dark entity that gives more power to wizards
       in exchange for using their power for destructive, lawbreaking spells. For some reason, the entity wants this
       violation of the laws to continue to happen...
       Standard sponsored magic benefits. Lawbreaking thaumaturgy at the speed of evocation.
       The caster gets a +2 Lawbreaker bonus on all lawbreaking spells cast while using the staff; since he effectively
       already has the maximum lawbreaker for spells he is trying to cast, he gets no lawbreakers. Unfortunately, his
       personality (aspects) are still affected - though not nearly as corrupted as by normal lawbreaking magics. There
       is only his usual personal responce to what he does, not any supernatural compulsion to change.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 02:13:25 AM by Belial666 »

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The Blackstaff
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 02:14:13 AM »
   I think it should have a power to buffer the consequences of Lawbreaking. Like maybe X number of times per day you can break the laws without having to take Lawbreaker. Since McCoy has been the blackstaff for quite some time, and hasn't gone Warlock or even become noticeably tainted.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 02:16:03 AM »
Read the "sponsored magic" part again. The special bonus of this pact is that it already gives a +2 lawbraker bonus when you cast a lawbreaking spell. Therefore, the caster can't get a further "bonus" for breaking the Law as he effectively has max, while using the staff.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 02:27:33 AM »
I like this interpretation, but nonetheless I feel compelled to point out that the max bonus for Lawbreaker is +3. Is Dark Pact worth [-5] normally?

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 02:43:56 AM »
   It might be easier to comprehend to say something to the effect of, the Staff has maximum levels of all 7 lawbreaker powers (Though I don't think it would protect against the outergates Law). Then, since its bestowing those as temporary powers on its user, he doesn't have to worry about taking Lawbreaker when he uses it. Same basic thing though.
    But I do think there should be a limit to how many times it can protect you per session.

Tbora

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 02:46:18 AM »
   It might be easier to comprehend to say something to the effect of, the Staff has maximum levels of all 7 lawbreaker powers (Though I don't think it would protect against the outergates Law). Then, since its bestowing those as temporary powers on its user, he doesn't have to worry about taking Lawbreaker when he uses it. Same basic thing though.
    But I do think there should be a limit to how many times it can protect you per session.

Eb used it to kill over two hundred mortal security guards in Changes, I'd say that denotes it as limitless in that regard.

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 04:18:24 AM »

(click to show/hide)