Author Topic: Tom Marvolo Riddle  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Tom Marvolo Riddle
« on: November 21, 2010, 03:12:57 PM »
Here is my build for Voldemort. This build is capable of everything we have seen him do and, once one realizes how those abilities could work together, why Voldemort could be so terrifying is evident. The reason Voldemort lost the war was not because he was not strong enough but because he was flawed; while he is terrifying and can read minds, he is sorely lacking in social skills, especially the ability to understand emotions and motivations of others. And also, he is a negative refresh character - he has no FATE to resist the compels on his trouble and aspects or get luck on his side for a change.

Flaws aside, he is an extremely powerful individual. While he is not as strong as Senior-Council wizards in magic, he is not that far behind and he has very powerful supernatural combat abilities that do not tire him plus an unparalleled mobility. In straight combat, especially if he uses good tactics, he is frightening.

High Concept: Dark Lord Ascendant
Trouble: Blinding Megalomania
Other Aspects: I Will Live Forever, Reign of Terror, Mutilated Soul, Laws Are Nothing To Me, Obsessed with Fate

SKILLS:

+7 Conviction
+6 Discipline, Lore, Intimidate
+5 Deceit, Endurance, Contacts
+4 Scholarship, Presence, Awareness
+3 Athletics, Craftmanship, Stealth
+2 Burglary, Resources, Ride
+1 Might, Fists, Weapons, Survival

POWERS:

[+1] Wand - a wand allows controlled use of wand magic. Voldemort's wand also acts as a +2 power/control offensive focus for spirit. Without a wand, most wizards cannot control their magic except reflexively in extreme situations.
[-7] Wand Magic - Voldemort can do maneuvers, blocks and weapon 4 attacks at his conviction +2 for transfiguration, enchantment, curses and illusion. Requires a Wand (see above).
[-1] Magical Defense Training - Voldemort rolls his Wand Magic instead of normal skills as a defense against ranged attacks.
[-3] Thaumaturgy +5 necromancy and transmutation/disruption power, +4 psychomancy and warding power, +3 necromancy and transmutation/disruption control, +2 psychomancy and warding control, +1 conjuration power and control
[-2] Greater Wand Magic - Voldemort can use Thaumaturgy as evocation for the Spirit, Earth and Water Elements, usually when using a wand (FP requirement to use without). He uses his thaumaturgy specializations as element specializations. Unlike lesser wand magic, this does need mental stress, as normal. This is a form of sponsored magic, with standard sponsored magic benefits. (price modified for already having thaumaturgy and wand magic)
[-4] Disapparation - Voldemort has Worldwalker and Swift Transition, for same-plane transitions only. National borders and certain wards are a barrier to this ability.
[-3] Greater Flight - Voldemort can fly with as much control as a man has in a fast walk. He flies fast enough to outpace almost any land vehicle and the slower airships.
[-1] Mindsight - Voldemort can see into another's mind and listen to their thoughts and memories. Interpretation requires a Lore roll opposed by the victim's discipline. Success allows the user to tell when he's being lied to, get specific information or use it as a social advantage.
[-3] Physical Immunity: Anchored Soul - Voldemort has anchored his (mutilated) soul with permanent bonds unto the world. Whatever happens to the body, the soul endures and eventually finds a way out of it. Voldemort can be harmed normally - but is immune to any further extreme consequences, including Death. No take-out result is ever permanent. Unfortunately, this ability has a drawback; Voldemort already has the Extreme Consequence "mutilated soul".
[-15] Refinement 15x
[-1] Death Magic - +2 stress to magical attacks intended to kill
[-6] Lawbreaker - 1st/3rd/5th all 2x
Adjusted Refresh: -7

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Marvolo Riddle
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 05:38:23 PM »
Looks really neat!

I'd be interested in seeing a more detailed write-up for the mechanics of HP-style wand magic and the custom powers you came up with. I am friends with a lot of Harry Potter geeks (personally guilty, as well) and I think it might be fun to do something with this.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 08:52:08 PM »
Disapparation is Worldwalker/Swift Transition but for the same plane instead of other planes.
Wand Magic is a reflavored Incite Emotion with lots of upgrades (typically a younger wizard would start without them)
Greater Flight is the normal "wings" power (reflavored into a cloud of darkness or something) with the added benefit of only the speed increase from Mythic Speed - but not any of the numerical bonuses.

The others are all existing powers or stunts or stunt-like minor talents.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 05:20:29 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't make him anywhere near this powerful as he's more of a "lite evil" as opposed to truly evil.  And the Potter magic is welll....  lacking....

That aside, I'd say that drop the wand magic bit, but add "Item Of Power (Wand) and add Evocation to it, along with any other "quick" magical effect. 

Stuff like mind sight is workable better as an evocation, IMO. As is the flight. Or maybe just "Wings".  I'd also use the phylactery (ooops.... I mean horcrux) idea from the Lich that sanctophrax has posted in the "Generic NPCs" section.

And maybe give him "Incite Emotion (fear)" as an ability :)
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 05:42:14 AM »
I'm actually in a Harry Potter kick at the moment as well, I too would be interested to see detailed write-ups for wand magic, etc.

Crap, now I'm semi-interested in a Potter game using Dresden mechanics.  :-\
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 08:45:01 AM »
I'm actually in a Harry Potter kick at the moment as well, I too would be interested to see detailed write-ups for wand magic, etc.

Crap, now I'm semi-interested in a Potter game using Dresden mechanics.  :-\

look here: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,19162.0.html