Author Topic: Summoning a construct/creating a Golem  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Cullen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Summoning a construct/creating a Golem
« on: November 13, 2010, 06:20:35 AM »
Alright, first of all I'm new to the Dresden Files RPG.  I've been reading the books for a couple years now and recently found out about the rpg, so I picked up the books and started reading.  I've always found the best way to figure it out is to just go ahead and make a character.

Anyways, to the point before I start rambling too much.  The character concept is a focused practitioner who creates constructs and golems.  Reading through Our World, it discusses Artificial Intelligences, but doesn't discuss the complexity to create it.  The same with creating the shell of the Golem.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks for your help, it's appreciated a great deal.

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
  • Machiavelli ain't got nothin' on me.
    • View Profile
Re: Summoning a construct/creating a Golem
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 08:29:26 AM »
I've had a similar idea for a Focused Practitioner/True Believer who's a mild-mannered sculptor by day and a supernatural lightweight by night.

There are plenty of people on the website more qualified to answer the question about how to summon an AI spirit for the golem (most of them will answer with a complete spell, ready to go). But as for how to create the shell of the golem, I imagine that would be the easiest part. For example, my character would use Performance to sculpt a clay body. Depending on the methods of construction, you'd likely be rolling Performance or Craftsmanship.
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 01:08:03 PM »
well thar be two ways to go mate-y. use the spell that you normaly would to summon and bind a demon, however you provide a body ready to go and give the bound demon control.

the second method would be ta make a basic set of commands an have the golem be "programed" to respond a certain way. i would say 2 shifts per command sounds bout right.

now no matter how ya make the golem move to your commanding grove, i imagen you'l be wanting it to have some nice things like strength and speed, toughness and such so youl need to imbune the golem with those things and each would add complexity.

lasty my apologies for the oddity of my speach, typing, the pain pills for kidney stones be potent and bob is currently talking like a pirate in james marsters voice.

edit: found this to help out with the making of the golem body. its a spell made by one of the playtesters found here http://www.rickneal.ca/?p=642

Rite of Icarus
Type: Thaumaturgy, transformation

Complexity: 26; can vary depending on duration

Duration: One day

Effect: When the caster completes this ritual, he or she must pay one Fate Point. The caster then gains the ability to fly, as per the Wings supernatural power, for one day. Unless the caster has some training in moving aerially (reflected by an Aspect and/or stunt), the caster’s Athletics is considered Terrible (-2) for purposes of moving by way of flight.

Variations: This model can be used to gain any reasonable power, subject to GM approval. Fate Point cost is equal to the refresh cost of the power acquired
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 01:27:15 PM by Kaldra »

Offline Cullen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 02:54:22 PM »
Thanks to both of you, I appreciate it a great deal.  I was planning on having the character create the shells using Earth Channeling.

As to the Marsters-style speech, I had to admit it made me think, ''What in the hell is wrong with this guy?  There is no way his advice can be taken seriously.''  Thank you for proving me entirely wrong and teaching me a valuable lesson on judging a book by it's font.   ;D

Edit: A Golem wouldn't count as an Item of Power, or an enchanted item correct?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 03:21:39 PM by Cullen »

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 05:10:17 PM »
It could, if that's the kind if character you wanted to play. I could totally see crating a golem as an item of power. It's not like they are very concealable...

If I had to represent it as such, I might give the player an additional +1 refresh discount, because whatever powers it had access to the controller couldn't directly have either.

I would also, for sake of my own sanity and play speed of the group, make sure that the ayer who has golems, however they may be represented, still only gets one actiin a round, since that will not unbalance anything. If he wants a golem to do something, he is just taking the time to have it do that thing instead of whatever else.

Here's a quick thought... What about making a drafter, and using the golems with the enchanted item rules? A few uses of "programmed" effects, and then everything costs stress as the controller is forcing it to move with his will. Not so different than evocation, and probably represents it all pretty well.

You could also simulate the golem's skill set with the beast change power.

Offline Cullen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 05:43:13 PM »
Alright, these are a few Golems I've written up.  One thing I'm not sure of is how many skill points to give them.  The examples given on p.29-32 in Our World have a varying amount of skill points (16 for a wardhound with a refresh of -9, 14 for Cassius' snakes with a refresh of -4).

Anyways, hopefully these make sense.  *note, they currently have no stresses or high concepts yet. **the Commands are the commands for the AI (all would be AI based, tell me if you think the commands are too broad)
Assassin (Close-Range) (refresh 21)
   Powers
      Claws (-1)
      Diminutive (-1)
      Addictive Saliva (-1)
      Spider Walk (-1)
      Cloak of Shadows (-1)
      Speed (-2)
      Supernatural Sense (-1)
      Venomous (-2)

Stunts
      On my Toes (-1)
      Too Fast to hit (-1)
      Swift and Silent (-1)

Commands
      Follow Target (-2)
      Avoid Detection (-2)
      Apply 'Saliva' when Target is Unaware (-2)
      Kill Target once Caught Unaware (-2)
Notes- Not necessarily something he'd use but I thought it was a neat idea.  Not a hundred percent sure if I can actually give it the saliva or not though.  As to choosing targets, it would need something like hair, blood or detritus like that to choose it's targets.

Swarm (Refresh -14)
   Powers
      Claws (-1)
      Diminutive (-1)
      Speed (-2)
      Pack Instincts (-1)
      Supernatural Sense (-1)   
Stunts
      On my toes (-1)
      Too Fast to hit (-1)

Commands
      Respond to verbal commands from Cal (-2)
      Swarm Target (-2)
      Kill Target (-2)
Notes-I thought of these sort of like Cassius' snakes.  They'd work together, like a tiny wolf pack, to take down the target.

Sentinel
   Powers
      Claws (-1)
      Breath Weapon (-2)
      Hulking Size (-2)
      Strength (-2)
      Toughness (-2)
      Speed (-2)
      Supernatural Sense (-1)

Stunts
      No pain, no gain (-1)
      Subtle Menace (-1)
      Mighty Thews (-1)
      Good arm (-1)
      Wall of Death (-1)

Commands
      Remain stationary, unless something threatens the target(-2)
      Defend pre-determined target(-2)
      Eliminate threat(s) to target (-2)

Notes-This is more like a combination between Mai's Wardhounds and the Chlorofiend.  Something that guards an area, like a treasure, home or whatever. 

-MyNinjaH8sU
       What do you mean by a drafter?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »
I would also, for sake of my own sanity and play speed of the group, make sure that the ayer who has golems, however they may be represented, still only gets one actiin a round, since that will not unbalance anything. If he wants a golem to do something, he is just taking the time to have it do that thing instead of whatever else.

This got me thinking on a weird tangent. You could always take Alternate Form with a modifier that you are actually two separate entities. When you're in one "form" you're playing the creator and when you're in the other you're playing the golem. Random weird thought.

Offline Cullen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 07:03:36 PM »
That'd be kind of neat.  In Our World, it says that the dogs are 'shadows' of Ancient Mai's personality, so it would sort of make sense for one of the AI's to react similarly as the character.

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 07:21:06 PM »

-MyNinjaH8sU
       What do you mean by a drafter?

Crafter. Stupid iPad autocorrect...

Offline Cullen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 07:39:04 PM »
Sorry about that Ninja, should have guessed.  My iPhone does that to me all the time, makes me say duck way too much.  Anyways, yeah I've thought about making him a crafter.  It'd probably make it easier.

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 10:54:17 PM »
This got me thinking on a weird tangent. You could always take Alternate Form with a modifier that you are actually two separate entities. When you're in one "form" you're playing the creator and when you're in the other you're playing the golem. Random weird thought.

Speaking from experience while playing this character in a game on another forum, GMs inevitably frown upon the "two separate entities" idea. In my example, the main character is a social tank and his genie girlfriend is a magical whiz. I thought that being unable to access the other ones abilities at any given time was enough of a limiting factor, but it really isn't. I ended up dominating social combat as Ryan and slinging high-powered magic as Jeannie with really nothing the GM could do to stop me.

I would think that a specialization in Golemancy or some such would be a suitable way to pull up simple constructs like Cassius' snakes while any special golems might be deserving of an aspect of their own. (For example, on character I've got in mind is a Struggling Artist Golemancer who is accompanied by his homunculus George and his lumbering juggernaut golem Lenny. One of his aspects is simply My Buddies George & Lenny.)

I am curious to see a specific ritual for creating a golem, as I'm a bit confused on how to do that myself.
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 06:26:47 AM »
Speaking from experience while playing this character in a game on another forum, GMs inevitably frown upon the "two separate entities" idea. In my example, the main character is a social tank and his genie girlfriend is a magical whiz. I thought that being unable to access the other ones abilities at any given time was enough of a limiting factor, but it really isn't. I ended up dominating social combat as Ryan and slinging high-powered magic as Jeannie with really nothing the GM could do to stop me.

Isn't that sort of how alternate form works regardless of whether you're one person or two? It's not something I've used in the past so I don't actually know.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 05:05:41 PM »
One other option would be to have go from effect (new combat maneuvers) and work backwards. I imagine two components:
1) have a ritual to "summon" (create) the golem (which would actually be a package of Aspects, armor, weapon attacks, and maneuvers, with a duration)

2) use the golem as justification/focus for certain actions while in combat, by which I mean don't actually have an entity - just figure out whatever you would want the golem to do in combat, and give YOURSELF that ability, bound into the golem as a focus. You could also be phrasing this as giving yourself the magical equivalent of power armor (weapons, armor, maneuvers) but explaining it as through this golem focus. And if you want the golem to block attacks for team mates, buy him with Armor with the extra complexity to ward multiple people. You wouldn't be making two actions a round, but yo golem could block attacks by acting as Armor with extended shifts of duration.

I don't have more time to explore this, but I wanted to put it out there.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 05:55:48 PM »
Isn't that sort of how alternate form works regardless of whether you're one person or two? It's not something I've used in the past so I don't actually know.

It is, but there's supposed to be a limiting factor built in that your alternate form isn't competent in some of the other realms (physical, mental and social).

If you have a businessman werewolf character, he's good at both mental and social abilities while human and physically capable while a wolf in exchange for a huge drop in both mental and social abilities. In my case (rich kid and genie girlfriend) there was no huge tradeoff between abilities. I think in this case, a golem would naturally be inept at mental and social abilities making all of this work out.

But I think the ideal would still be a big-powered long-time ritual to create your sidekick golem, while your character could create little servitors on the fly.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 06:04:43 PM »
Ahh, I see what you mean now. And yeah there's probably a better way to do it, just exploring weird related thoughts.