Author Topic: Potions potions potions. My kingdom for a list of them.  (Read 4209 times)

Offline Custos

• Participant
    • View Profile
Potions potions potions. My kingdom for a list of them.
« on: November 13, 2010, 06:14:13 PM »
Now from what I've read potions just add an aspect. Now maybe it's too many years of DnD but I can't really wrap my head around what can and can't be done. I mean could a potion give you powers for a scene or so? What potions have y'all made and used?

Offline Raiden333

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Potions potions potions. My kingdom for a list of them.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 10:37:21 PM »
From Rick Neal's Blog (which is seriously the best source I've seen on DFRPG info):

I’ll let you in on a secret: I’m on the fence about potions. I think they might just be a little too good, compared to enchanted items. See, they work pretty much like enchanted items, with the following differences:

* You must allocate an enchanted item slot to a potion, but you get to decide every session what potion is in that slot.
    * You only ever get to use a potion once.
    * Anyone can use a potion once it’s been created.
    * You can leave the slot allocated for a potion empty at the start of a session, and fill it with a potion that you just happen to have prepared that fits the situation. Doing this requires you to either pay a Fate Point to have the convenient potion, or succeed at a Lore roll.
    * When you create a potion, or when you use it, you can boost the strength by +2 for every Aspect you invoke (with the normal Fate Point cost). You can even take compels in advance to get this boost.
    * If you allocate extra enchanted item slots to a single potion slot, the strength of the potion you create and carry in that slot increases by one for every extra enchanted item slot allocated.

So, really, the only downside to potions is that you can only use each one once, while the upside is extreme flexibility, far beyond what enchanted items offer. Of course, that may be why Wizards are so famous for their magic potions…

As with enchanted items, any effect you like can be stored in a potion, with the strength limited by your Lore skill. Here are a few samples, again using our example Wizard’s Lore of Great (+4):

Shadow Juice

This dark liquid makes the drinker hard to see or hear for a scene.

Duration: One scene

Effect: The drinker moves with a Stealth of Great (+4) for one scene

Bottled Confidence

While not actually making the drinker more attractive, this potion gives them an air of confidence and comfort that draws people to them.

Duration: One scene

Effect: The user gains the sticky Aspect Magnetic Confidence. The first tag is free; thereafter, the user must pay Fate Points, as usual.

Aqua Regia

This powerful, mystic solvent can be sprayed at a target as an attack.

Duration: Instantaneous

Effect: Acts as a Weapon:4 attack. It is equally effective against flesh and inanimate material, dissolving both rather speedily and messily. Must be applied with the successful use of a relevant skill.

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 11:01:51 PM »
   Yeah. A comprehensive list of "potions" would be impossible. As far as the rules are concerned, any single stored use of any spell is a potion (not just imbibed liquids), So the possibilities are literally endless. There are some subtle limitations in the novels but they are minor, and are a matter of GM discretion whether to even bother with them. Like 1) You get sick if you imbibe another potion before the first wears off. 2) Potions usually only last a couple minutes.
    But those options aside. You can whip up just about any spell, and create a single use enchanted item that holds that spell. And by the RAW that is all a potion is.

Offline Custos

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 02:18:06 AM »
Still just having trouble wrapping my head around potions. Like what the hell would a potion with a strength of 15+ be like?! I like the idea of having a bandoleer of potions but having trouble grasping them  :(

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 04:20:06 PM »
A potion is really nothing more than a spell-on-the-fly; therefore any spell effect can be placed inside of a potion. Due to the potion being limited by Lore (and strength bonuses, from either specialization or focus items), and capped at twice your lore (as recommended in the creating items section), you'll usually only see up to strength 10 potions (until the cap for skills is raised to +6 for the campaign, and then you'll see potions of strength 12).  However, it's sort of assumed that you could then add aspects to it above this level?

Thus, potions can work as either evocation or thaumaturgy, and the rules for those sections must be read to determine what a potion can do.

Because you're asking about higher-end examples, I'll use a wizard with lore 5, crafting specialization (strength) +1, and a focus item (magical distillation set: crafting strength +4).  So his default crafted item strength is 10.

Evocation effects:

Attack: Flame Tube
Weapon 10 fire attack on one target, targeted with discipline and resisted by athletics.  This is the same thing as an evocation fire attack; the user uncorks the test tube and uses his own will to target the enemy with the spell.  Could be done with any element.

Variation: Fire Pot
Weapon 8 fire attack on everyone within a zone, targeted with weapons, resisted by athletics. This is an area fire attack, but instead of spending the 1 point of strength on range (lest the caster be set on fire as well), he relies on his baseball tossing skills to physically throw it into another zone.  Note that a potioneer with lots of potion slots could technically hand these out to his buddies, and all toss them simultaneously, giving the group four to six simultaneous fire attacks. They resolve separately, but can do in a pack of ghouls quite nicely.

Block Vs movement: Bottled Quicksand
Strength 6 block vs movement for everyone in a zone, targeted with weapons, resisted by might.  Lasts 3 rounds. The ground becomes quicksand for 18-24 inches, miring everyone down. Again, the caster relies on his throwing skills to avoid the area of effect. (Alternatively, he makes it strength 5, spends 1 strength on range, and targets with discipline).

Maneuver:  Any maneuver can be done to create aspects to tag, but the cheesiest one here is:
Good Luck potion
Strength 8.  3 points to create a maneuver, 1 point to make it sticky, done twice for the same effect.  Target receives two free +2 tags to use on whatever he considers "lucky". These can then be used with fate points afterwards for the rest of the scene. This is so.. cheesy.. that I slapped a mild mental consequence of "overconfident" on its use.  I did so because I felt like it totally ruined the need to use other skills to make appropriate declarations or maneuvers.

Thaumaturgy:
Zombie Powder:
Strength 10. When poured on a fresh, mostly together corpse, this summons a spirit of hunger into the body instantly, raising it as a standard zombie.  You'd best have the drumbeat already playing, as they wake up on the wrong side of the bed quite speedily.

Veil Rip
Strength 10. This "potion" is a piece of paper with a drawing of a doorway on each side. The door is black on a white background on one side, white on a black background on the other. The caster rips the paper in half, creating an opening to the nevernever (or to our world from the nevernever), leading to whatever part corresponds to the location. The tear is approximately 15 feet tall, and several feet across - looking like a rather large doorway. Without interference, the tear closes one round later.  This is typically used as an escape potion, but it has been known to be thrown in front of charging monsters.

And so on.  Pretty much any effect you can make with a spell, you can make into a potion, as long as you stick to the strength limitations.

That said, I'm pretty harsh about slapping on consequences, as the rules advise when discussing effects that give extra speed and what-not.  If you make a potion that gives you athletics 5 for the scene, fine.  But if you make a potion that gives you athletics 10 for the scene, it usually costs you a moderate consequence in my game.  Otherwise, the dedicated potioneer is better at everything than everyone else in the group.  "Oh you have a gunslinger character? well now I have guns 10". And so on.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 04:21:53 PM by mostlyawake »

Offline Custos

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 05:00:09 PM »
Thanks for that.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 05:33:01 PM »
I have all of my player's PC sheets handy, so here are a few more examples. These are strength 8, because that's what our potioneer is at.

Ice Rink
Block versus movement
Strength 5, two rounds, one zone (targeted with weapons, resisted with athletics) -coats ground in slick layer of ice

Fog
Block versus alertness
same as above, only resisted with alertness, fills area with dense fog that dissipates quickly

meteor shower
earth attack, strength 6, one zone, targeted with discipline, resisted by athletics, i believe this was a magically runed meteorite that was crushed in hand to create a localized meteor shower.

Wrecking Ball
earth attack, strength 8, versus one "target" (targeted with weapons, resisted with athletics (when applicable), defined as a person or person-sized object or area of wall. I think this was a pebble thrown at the target.

Healing Potion [DnD conversion}
Per the Reiki spell in the core, this reduces a moderate consequence to a mild, though it takes up the moderate slot until healed.

Invisibility Potion [DnD conversion]
This is really nothing more than an evocation spirit veil, Strength 6, lasting 3 rounds. Aspects are often (as in, almost always) used to increase the duration and/ or strength, depending on the situation.

Mirror Image [DnD conversion]
Strength 9. Creates three aspects of "mirror image" that last for a scene or until dispelled.  If the free tag given by the aspect is used to increase a defense, then the corresponding image "pops". 

Note that this is different from DnD (it does not negate attacks, merely gives three one-time bonuses to defense), and that it's strength requires the player to use some aspect to even make it (it's above his strength rating).  Each aspect costs three shifts, so a 6 strength version would give two bonuses, while a 12 shift would give four.  Also, these aspects are not "sticky" (they go away after use, instead of hanging around for you to use fate points on if needed). A "sticky" version would add 1 shift per aspect added (so 12 shifts instead of 9 for this spell), but the player deemed this unnecessary (wizards often have low fate points anyways), and unthematic.

Hope that helps!

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 10:47:44 PM »
There is a spell list on the resources board, and since potions can do anything that a spell can do (ish) that should help you out.

Offline the_glasglow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »
Does anyone ever get people to specify the 8 components? As a GM i'd be tempted to make any potion maker list them

Base:
Smell:
Taste:
Sight:
Hearing:
Touch:
Mind:
Spirit:

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 03:03:06 PM »
Does anyone ever get people to specify the 8 components? As a GM i'd be tempted to make any potion maker list them

If it's being specifically created in game, yes. If they've produced it on the fly utilising the 'here's one I made earlier' rules then no because it's too disruptive.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 03:55:57 PM »
Our potioneer choses to include them, and often ties them in a willy-wonka way to the potion.  Like, i think he once threw a necktie into a binding potion.  And if he didn't, he will soon. 

Offline Custos

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 04:34:42 PM »
Now THERE is a good character to cross-over and makes me want to make a potion peddler starting out with a cart on a street corner.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 07:08:15 PM »
Giving unwitting children transformative treats is a clear example of lawbreaking, Wonka. We'd send a warden if you weren't the emissary of power for the oompa-loompa fey court.

Offline Custos

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 07:12:54 PM »
Haha. The Loompaland section of the Never-Never aside it could always be treated like The Anarchist Cookback in sales. 18+ and for educational use only. I'm not sure on the educational applications of a lust potion, however.

Tbora

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 08:20:30 PM »
Giving unwitting children transformative treats is a clear example of lawbreaking, Wonka. We'd send a warden if you weren't the emissary of power for the oompa-loompa fey court.

No if they know what they are getting into, and not forcing them to drink the 2nd law is not broken, as it is by there own freewill.