Author Topic: Good Writing Music...  (Read 4036 times)

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Good Writing Music...
« on: April 13, 2007, 11:25:57 PM »
For those of us who listen to music while writing, does anyone have any good suggestions?

I listen to movie scores, from Howard Shore, Thomas Newton Howard, Hans Zimmer, John Williams, etc...  I also listen to select rock; Celldweller, Tool, Led Zepplin.

Celldweller I like for my action scenes, and I hoped someone could recommend other groups similar to them.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
    • Sa Souvraya Niende Misain Ye
Re: Good Writing Music...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 04:51:58 AM »
I usually listen to instrumentals. :)

Video game soundtracks, mostly, like Symphony of the Night, Lunar II and anything from OCRemix. I've been listening to my classicals more, too.

Have any definition for Celldweller? Dark gothic? Power rock? :)
Dr. Juruna: What doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?
Dr. Haas: Well, he profits by one entire world for starters...
A Miracle of Science

Bonded to the Traveler of the Ways

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 06:17:14 AM »
I guess Celldweller would be power rock, similar to Adema.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 12:44:35 PM »
Anything with lyrics distracts the hell out of me.  I might listen to songs for inspiration but when writing I really prefer silence.  Some very quiet jazz in the background is OK though -  Coltrane's Blue Train is a nice choice, as is Kind of Blue by Miles Davis.
-Liz
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 02:54:57 PM »
Ooooooo, Jazz.  Good call!  I need to add some to my library. 

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 06:31:51 PM »
I can write to music with lyrics only if I either know them very well or they're in a language I do not know, which is why the bulk of my writing gets done to the Sisters of Mercy, Leonard Cohen (Waiting for the Miracle and The Future), VNV Nation, and the Leningrad Cowboys.  I think VNV Nation would be my foremost recommendation for forward momentum.

Sometimes it depends on the mood, too.  I have more than once done viewpoint-character-in-extremely-uncomfortable-situation scenes to the tape of dance remixes to "My heart Will Go On" my stalker bought me, which has both the right uncomfortable associations and is just not music I like at all.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
    • Sa Souvraya Niende Misain Ye
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 03:55:09 AM »
That's rather original, Neurovore, about the stalker song. Psychological warfare versus yourself!

Hey... jazz would actually do very nicely for some of my novels. Cool suggestion.

Celldweller sounds like Rammstein to me, blgarver. For power rock Ilike Sonata Arctica... I just like their music in general, hehe. The Wikipedia helps me look for more music, so that's something you could try. :D
Dr. Juruna: What doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?
Dr. Haas: Well, he profits by one entire world for starters...
A Miracle of Science

Bonded to the Traveler of the Ways

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 11:50:47 AM »
Depending on what I'm writing I usually try to find something moody on my mp3 player. Some Bush songs, Kittie, most anything by Korn ect. Some times though, if I'm trying to write a battel scene I gotta get the Led out with The Imigrant Song.

Oh most My Chemical Romance tracks work well for me too. Especailly from their first album.

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 09:19:03 PM »
I listen mostly to movie soundtracks when I'm writing, since they tend to be more dramatic/emotionally engaging. I try to avoid listening to music with words, otherwise, sometimes the lyrics accidently end up in my story and I have to back track and remove them so I don't have to go to the expense of getting clearance from ASCAP or whichever music publisher owns 'em. Currently, the original score to "Underworld" (please don't shoot me for liking that movie) and the soundtrack to one of the anime versions of "Hellsing" are a good backdrop for the non-mushy paranormal romance novel I'm writing.

Offline BobSkull

• Participant
  • Justice or Vengeance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 04:12:19 PM »
I listen to Lacuna Coil, Staind, Sentenced, Musical scores, Lordi, Apocalyptica, Soundtrack to Last Samurai, it all depends upon what mood I'm in. Although I usually stick to hard rock/metal because it makes it easier for me to concentrate(as odd as that may sound).
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 06:05:09 PM »
Anything that is loud enough to block outside noises.  It usually helps if it's something I've listened to a lot.  I can almost use the music as white noise so I can get in my zone without being distracted by the music itself.  I listen to a lot of Cake, Evanescence, and The Dresden Dolls.  Sometimes I even put on Alice Cooper.

Matt
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?

Offline Kathleen Dante

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Kathleen Dante | Erotic Romance Author
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 09:47:04 PM »
I listen to music to get me into the zone, particularly when my brain doesn't want to write. Some of my reliables are Yanni and various anime soundtracks. But my current fave is DragonForce; their Inhuman Rampage and Sonic Firestorm CDs really get the blood pumping.  ;D

Kath
DREAMWALKER - Available now from Berkley Heat
ENDANGERED - Available now from Berkley Heat
http://www.kathleendante.com

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 05:27:55 AM »
Anything with lyrics distracts the hell out of me.  I might listen to songs for inspiration but when writing I really prefer silence.  Some very quiet jazz in the background is OK though -  Coltrane's Blue Train is a nice choice, as is Kind of Blue by Miles Davis.
-Liz

There's no way I could listen to Kind Of Blue while writing. It builds a world of its own and puts me in something close to a trance. :)
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale